Official BF Editor Forums

Statics Modeling Tips

Outlawz

I've been trying to model some statics for a while and I always mess up IMO, so I've been wondering if anyone has any workflow tips on modeling statics for BF2, ie. setups, what to look out for, how to make stuff simpler and easier for when you texture/do LODs, cols etc. any tips would be helpful.

You should always try to unwrap your objects right after they are finished. Use the checker-map to make sure you got the same pixel resolution on your objects.

Try to use as much cloned objects for small objects as possible. (Doors, Windows, Pipes, all kinds of details)

Create a collection of props that can be merged to your static. (Like all the things above)

Make al lot test exports to check the model ingame, every change on a textured object means very much work to correct!

You should also check for mesh errors before your start unwrapping, stl check is the tool of choice if you use max.

You should avoid n-gons, use quads.

Save your finished unw's and load them for each additional channel.

Sorry this is very unorganized, I'll edit this tomorrow.

one of the most important things with statics is real life accurate measurements,if you use realistic measurements it can make a static look so much more realistic...so research your static first.

-----

small details are important also....

interior...light fixtures,power points and light switches,carpet and rugs,tiles and concrete,picutres on walls,furinture.

exterior and interior...realistic window frames and door frames are very important imo,just a rectangle cut into a box isnt exactly realistc or imersive.

exterior...gutters drain pipes,air conditioners,lights,power box,water taps and hose's,tv antena and satellite dishes.

all of the above arent entirely important so choose very carefully what is essential.

-----

theres quite a few ways you can build statics i use 2 methods...

foundation method and support method...ill post a tutorial later today(pics are done,just need to type out the steps).

the foundation method is great,it takes about 5 mins to build a very simple concrete building...add 5 more minutes for a clean up to lower polycount.

the support method is a little more complicated but you get much more accurate results,this method is also good if you want to have different versions of 1 building but in different construction stages...or if want to setup a building for destructable walls.

as for textures maybe someone else can give some advice,my static uvmapping skills are a little rough these days.

Edited by BEEX

It might be worth mentioning that most static models in BF2 are not unwrapped but use the tiling texture method. We have tutorials for this:

Your first model:

http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12770

Using the texture tiling method:

http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13381

I just use shader wrapper to set shader stuff outlaw.

Nice tips Beex, i used to use your first method, but cleaning it can be a pain if you havent got pro bolean. I found its alot quicker and easier to just create a box (if making a building), and use shell modifier, then bolean/pro bolean windows doors ect in. Pro bolean rocks as it auto cleans any un needed edges/verts. But its all about knowing the diffrent methods to do the same job, then you can mix then up as you chose ;)

http://i56.tinypic.com/2mr71tu.jpg

Edited by Bensta

its rly funny to see, that almost every dude has a different way to model his stuff.

iam not using the boolean tools at all, only for cracked parts on corners and so.

i even do bigger holes in walls mostly by hands, on that way i do not need to clean up a whole model as i connect my verts like i need em to get a clean model.

buts still interesting to see others way of modeling :D