Official BF Editor Forums

Teargas Effect Not Working

Chael

Trying to get the teargas effect working (in a seperate mod). It makes a big smoke cloud, the guy coughs, minimap icons disappear, and sprint gets disabled, but the blurry squishy effect is missing somehow. I've copied over the e_hgr_TearGasGrenade effect and the sounds, added the effect to the detonationComp of a weapon... what am I missing? Is my graphics card (geforce 9800GTX+) just immune to teargas? Thanks in advance.

Well I'll have to give that a shot; I still have xpack on one of these computers... I was hoping someone would point me to some files I might have missed; I mean if the cloud effect shows up, and I haven't changed the effect files, shouldn't the blurry squishy thing happen?

I considered that, but I don't really know much about shaders. All the posts I could find about the blurry squishy thing didn't say anything about having to screw with the shaders... I guess I'll clear some HDD space and give xpack a go now.

EDIT: Okay, tried it on xpack and it still doesn't work! I guess I have to try some different drivers now... maybe someone out there knows something that would help?

Edited by Chael

Thanks for that; I don't really wanna go messing with my drivers all day trying to get this to work... although I suppose that still may fix it. I know I had it working before, but I can't remember if it was on this computer or the one with a 7600GTS.

Hmm, yeah, you may have some luck with drivers.

My understanding of the reason for some nVidia cards having problems with certain post production effects in BF2 is that DICE put in a few nVidia-specific optimisations (which is why it's "the way it's meant to be played"), but at some point nVidia made changes to either the hardware or the drivers that made them no longer compatible with those optimisations.

In a lot of ways it is still better to have a nVidia card with BF2, a particularly noteworthy example is the way that shadows are handled by the cards. nVidia cards have additional routines which really streamline the way shadows are produced, and that means it fits a lot better in the shaders (and as such it looks better). For ATI/AMD cards, you get a really half-assed blocky shadow thing by DICE. I'm sure part of the reason it looks so blocky is that DICE got slipped a couple of dollars from nVidia, because it really isn't much work to turn it into bilinear filtering, which actually ends up looking a little nicer than the sharp nVidia shadows. Anyway, it's ironic that the very things DICE made to give nVidia cards the advantage has started backfiring.

Did you add all the proper bits in the code ?:

ObjectTemplate.gasCloudType TearGas
ObjectTemplate.gasCloudDamage 2
ObjectTemplate.blurryVisionTime 2
ObjectTemplate.blurryVisionHoldTime 0
ObjectTemplate.minGasCloudRadius 0
ObjectTemplate.maxGasCloudRadius 2
ObjectTemplate.gasCloudRadiusTime 1

Here i added it to one of the SpriteParticleSystems

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

Didn't you read my first post? I copied the effect files directly from xpack and didn't modify them. The soldier coughs, sprint becomes disabled, and the minimap icons disappear.

I still haven't tried different drivers, but if/when I do, I'll post the results here.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, but at least I know it's working. I only went with an nvidia card for two reasons: mparser60.exe only works with nvidia, and at the time, nvidia supported 3d shutter glasses. I guess that's the price I pay for using maya.

I have those black spots when I run the debugger... I just thought everyone had those ;)
No,it only happens on NV cards. ( "The way its meant to be debugged" :P ) Neither my initial Radeon 9800 nor my current HD4650 ATI card suffer from it. After loosing 2 NV cards by overheating i went back to ATI for the time being B)

• 2 weeks later...

My old X300 had the black spots (even though it shouldn't have).

My understanding is that the teargas effect is only broken on nVidea cards from around the 8000 series onwards.

EDIT: Oh, and there's an additional nVidea-only problem with shaders; on night maps with NVGs, for the same cards as with the teargas problem (8000 onwards), bundledmeshes (and maybe other things too) apparently glow white when near a point light. It's because of that bug that PR doesn't have night maps anymore apparently.

Edited by UberWazuSoldier