Official BF Editor Forums

Creating Holes In Terrain

strikerfs87

if that doesnt work, you can always use statics as the roofing to tunnels, such as rock formations. some mods even built their own static type tunnels. although not always very pretty, there are other ways to build underground portions to maps.

Edited by 0utL4w

Creating holes in Max won't work. This is because for the game engine the terrain always exists in the form of a regular grid with only the heigth as variable written in heightmapprimary.raw . As soon as the length of that file differs from the expected number ( e.g. 1025 * 1025 dots = 2,101,250 bytes for a 1024*1024 scale 2 map ) the engine acts erratically (crashes).Each dot is a 16-bit value

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

That is exactly what I was looking for. I knew that the game engine stored the points and was curious what would happen if they were gone. What would happen if I left the points in there and essentially "peeled" a hole in the terrain? It would still have all of the points and it's height data, i would just delete the faces that connect them. Maybe I will model the terrain then if its too much of a hassle. What I had planned was an island with a supply base on it and a mountain in the middle. I could essentially leave the terrain flat and model the mountain myself. Will such a large static cause problem if it's own though? Would I have to split it apart? This is a map for 2142 and I wanted to make something unique since I'm off for winter break.

Edited by strikerfs87

You can't delete faces from the heightmap - its not a model. Its generated by BF2/2142 after reading the height points from heightmapprimary.raw and there's no face representation in that file - only height info . Believe me , if there would be a way to create holes in the terrain we'd already seen that in maps. To create underground you have to use static models to simulate tunnels ,parking lots or caverns.