Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PiratePlunder

Battlefield 3 Unveiling At Gdc 2011

EA have confirmed to the media that they will host an unveil event at the 2011 Game Developers Conference on the 1st March. They've also confirmed that BF3 is due for a 2011 release.

Theres still more questions than answers with regard to BF3 but with just over a month and a half until its unveiled I'ld expect to see some of those answers leak out between now and then.

Yep and in general I think thats got to be a bad thing. If somethings great you want to be telling people and if it makes a 2011 release, presumably end November then that doesn't leave a whole lot of time for it to be hyped - especially given the exclusive BETA will effectively become the release date for building the hype up to.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but my gut is telling me 32 players max and no mod support. The whole feeling with the BF series for a while is that DICE think they know what is best and will give us what they want. Fair enough (our mod team was constantly criticised for the same thing!), I get the feeling that a whole load of Bad Company players will lap it up whatever it is but I think a lot of us will be left disappointed.

Edited by PiratePlunder

Well IMO the BF series went down the drain soon after BF2 was released. I'm not expecting anything amazing from BF3 myself.

Well IMO the BF series went down the drain soon after BF2 was released. I'm not expecting anything amazing from BF3 myself.

Agreed, didn't buy 2142, did buy BC2 but have long since stopped playing.

Its a shame though, because IMO at its heart BC2 is actually quite good - it has potential which DICE have failed to exploit and I'm sure the same will be true of BF3. If we'd been given the same level of mod support as we got with BF2 (i.e. very little) then we could have done a lot with it - even if we couldn't change the 32 player limit we could have lived with it and modified our expectations to fit. Mod support might not have drastically improved their sales, but it would have kept people playing BC2, would have kept people positive and hyped and kicked COD into touch. I don't think it would have impacted on sales of expansions etc - given how long it took for mods like FH2, EoD and BFP2 to come out (and no doubt it would be even longer with FB) the engine would be towards the end of its life cycle by then anyway. Smaller simpler mods might come out sooner as PoE but they wouldn't hinder sales of official releases - I doubt they did with XPack or the boosters (the boosters did that for themselves).

I would love to know why DICE have moved away from MOD support, is it the cost to develop the tools to release standard (if you can call BF2 editor that!), hassle, risk or greed? I know they claim FB is too hard to mod, I say bullshit and the move happened at 2142 anyway (we were also hearing until quite late that mod tools would be available from a fairly reliable source). Guess we'll never know why.

I didn't receive an invitation to this? Did anyone here? Oh, the media gets an invite, but not us? :-) Would you even go, knowing an expo pass is $195, and all access pass is $1,475?. Its like Bubble Tape, 6000 ft of Conference, for us, not them. Them being us. I wonder what exactly you get with an all access passes. I only would go to these if they are free.

My New Years resolution was to cease playing BF and shut down my servers Jan 1st for good, and go on with my life, and do something totally different this year. Which I did. A week and a half later I check on the BF2142 demo community, and with my 3 years of heavily modded 22 & 44 player servers gone, which were the dominant servers always slap full of players and jumping, it has entirely collapsed, there being nothing but rubbish for servers left. A day like this, with most of the US snowed in as it is at the time of my post, the place would be packed, but now, its a wasteland.

Too bad, because it was a righteous little demo once you unlocked and spum up its potential, even far more fun to play than BF2 demo which had way more weapons and a sexier map. It just played... way more smoother and hella more fast paced. Goodbye EA & Dice, I had fun pimping out your ├╝ber-buggy little game.

Edited by cobrachoppergirl

BF3 should be cool but i hope they don't over hype it... I am imagining it will be similar to BC2 with some new bells and whistles...

Which isn't all that bad because BC2 and the Vietnam expansion are a lot of fun... BF2 was and is an incredible game and it's hard to

find that lightning in a bottle i'm guessing.

Mod support would have been cool for BF3 and i think it's short sighted of EA not to include it...

but there is the Unreal 3 editor and it's pretty cool with a lot of possibilities.

This thread is very depressing haha, so I'm here to provide some positive thoughts (which I don't necessarily believe)!

It's on Frostbite 2, not Frostbite 1.5 or anything, the fact that it's a whole new number implies a rewrite, and given DICE's woes over how difficult it is to pack the game up on Frostbite 1, it would stand to reason that the first thing they'd rework would be their clunky patching system, stemming from the fact that the files all have to explicitly reference one another so it ends up a tangled web of doom. They WANT to change that, and that means it would be a hell of a lot more possible for us to make unofficial patches (read: mods). It's going to be easier than BC2, to what degree I don't know.

I'm quite content with the way they're not revealing much, Gran Turismo 5 fell into the trap of telling everybody what it was going to do, and then taking months past the initial release date to actually materialise (a recurring theme with Gran Turismo games).

I agree with CB about what BF3 will be like; BC2 with jets. And let's not forget that DICE hasn't outright refused to release the Refractor 2 engine, they at least consider it when asked; so they're not jerks!

As a final note, can someone please head over to Stockholm with a laptop and show them bfeditor.org? I think it's time they had a look at what we're still doing.

See slide 26 the "5 Major Challenges in Interactive Rendering" slideshow here.

"We've spent 20 man years on improving workflows, iteration times, & reducing production costs on our next game engine - Frostbite 2".

I believe he is referring to work on FrostEd, the editing tool(s). Does this give you any hope that they are releasable?

Just in case you didnt read it yet, bf1943 is now officialy canceled and dice stated that they want to focus on bf3 and build the best game they ever did in their studio history (lol)

Source: http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/02/03/looking-ahead.aspx

So with that message their might be some more hope for bf3 to turn out good... but i dont hold my breath till it get proven :rolleyes:

Its almost like frostbite has a bug in it, no mod tools, which worked for consoles but once moved to PC, its like they continue developing ignoring that bug. I say don't develop bf3 for the PS3 and Xbox360, PC only thank you! dry.gif

Edited by rhysm_08

The only bad news is that modders may not have the kind of access to the tools they had before. The Frostbite 2 engine is very advanced, and DICE claims it takes a lot of knowledge and manpower to deliver on that platform. Instead of shipping the SDK, the studio is exploring other options.

"We will not deliver mod tools in the way we delivered them for Battlefield 2," Bach admits. "Creating mod tools today - dumbing them down - takes a lot of energy and what we are discussing more every day is, 'Where do we put our focus?' Right now our focus is to create the best possible multiplayer, single-player, and co-op game - the core of Battlefield 3. We're still discussing how we handle modifications of any kind."

Source

We're still discussing how we handle modifications of any kind

There is still hope!!! Maybe after a few patches they will release the mod tools.. maybe

... 'Where do we put our focus?' Right now our focus is to ..."

Make as much $$$ as possible. Which is fair enough they are a business and they have to pay their staff etc. But it is just a comment on the change in the game developers mindset over the last 15-10 years. It used to be about more than just money, there was pride, adventurousness (is that even a word?) and competition beyond sales figures and profit.

Pride is the big one thats gone, how can you have pride when you're made to release the same shit, for more money with ever increasing levels of bugs. Perhaps its inevitable, its definitely sad.

Edited by PiratePlunder

I suppose BF3 will have extremely advanced engine & graphics with extrymely boring gameplay <_<

It will be "single played" game.

Edited by AriX17

Profit orientated game industry loves consoles and hates PC's. PC's can be hacked easily and a developer has to struggle with tons of different hardware and a flood of user bug reports. Consoles on the contrary have a predictable hardware and need pro's to hack them - and console players are more willing to spend money for games. All this makes consoles attractive to the industry . Lets face that - we can be assured that they don't care about a 'community' if there's money to earn. Keep your old machine to play and mod BF1942,BF:V and BF2/2142. These times won't come back, unfortunately.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

spot on mischo!.

why you say hold onto your old machines,i got a new pc last week, windows 7 64bit,runs all the bf2 mod tools no probs :) (install bf2ed in xp sp3 compatabilty mode)

annoys me how dice say the bf3 mod tools are too advanced for us,so they need to be dumbed down...come on!,we got a few official tuts for bf2,the rest we figured out ourselves.

but ill be happy to get any bf3 mod tools.

why you say hold onto your old machines,i got a new pc last week, windows 7 64bit,runs all the bf2 mod tools no probs

Ow,sure but did you try to play BF1942 or BF:V on it ? Too bad that those don't run good on multicore machines and tend to crash . And BF1942 and BF:V were probably te best games to mod in the whole BF series :(

oh!..i havent tried to install bf42 or bfv yet...hmm bummer!.

its a shame bf2 was lacking some of the cool features bf42 and bfv had,multiple soldier ske's,child pco's,.bik for animated textures,towable vehicles...to name a few...i dought BF3 will have any of those features.

Based on the change in direction for DICE based on several events, we can safely predict modability of BF3. Just look at the factors:

- DICE has unplugged from the modding community.

- The Mod coordinator reassigned.

- No promised editor or debugger for BF2142.

- No continued plugin support for newer versions of maya or 3dsmax.

- No Mod support for any DICE games after BF2.

- DICE has stated that licensing issues for the development tools would be too expensive to release.

- DICE does not make any direct profit from Mods. They don't realize that the longevity of sales of the game is due to the mod support. They mistakenly believe its because they make such an awesome game. When, the game is awesome only because of the mod support. Dice made a good game, but without the mod support, we would have moved onto something else along time ago.

- DICE never realized the full potential of the booster packs. Special Forces was the only booster pack that was worthwhile. The others were underwhelming. (a few new maps? that's it?)

Therefore we can safely surmise that DICE will not released MOD tools for BF3. If we get an editor at all, it would be a sandbox type editor, where you can change spawns and move stuff around on existing maps. But days of full conversion mods for new Battlefield engines are over. The only thing that would convince DICE to relook at mod support would to hit them in the sales of BF3. But that would take huge amount of people to not buy the game. I for one, will not be running out to buy the game.

...Or, if EA partnered with Steam to allow the selling of mods, then mod support would be of interest to DICE and EA.

Sign in to follow this