Official BF Editor Forums

Battlefield 3 Informations Overflood

JONES

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wooooooooooooooooooot!!!....finally some actual gameplay footage.....so awesome!

battlefield 3:fault line 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJw_ay5U_3w

Yes :D dont forgett the leaked gameplay footage which was recorded with a mobile wile a bf3 presentation at the gdc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwwtuON9oHQ

That earthquake basicly blown me away, i never seen something like that in any game, its incredible, now lets hope the mp will be as good as the sp is, tbh i dont care anymore for modsupport, even if i wish the game got one, lets see it from another perspective:

The frostbite 2 engine is basicly new, since the wrote it from scratch, so we still have a chance to build our own if we are lucky, same as it was with bf1942 back then, we didnt get modtools for it eigher, now its up to us again :)

• 2 weeks later...

BF3 fault line episode 2...

once again it looks fantanstic...but the building damage from the at-4 is way too exagerated,these kinda things always bug me with games,they go to such incredible fine details then mess up the big things...freakin awesome non the less.

im just going to blurt out how disapointed i am in the lack of intrest for bf3 here...wtf guys.

i know your annoyed theres no 100% confirmation about mod tools,but the thing is most of us here would really struggle to make a mod for such a complicated game engine,after looking through all of dice's publications about frostbite 1 and 2 i can see why they are questioning mod tools for us.

this point in game dev history has worried me for some time,making a game becomes so complicated talented and well educated devs leave the industry and criple alot of mod communities.

we all just wanna shoot stuff and see it explode...right?...lol

Edited by BEEX

im just going to blurt out how disapointed i am in the lack of intrest for bf3 here...wtf guys.

i know your annoyed theres no 100% confirmation about mod tools,

Or are we more annoyed/disappointed about the seeming demise of a once innovative/exciting/different games company into just another of a whole bunch of game companies that throw out the very similar products at a rate that means quality and more noticeably ingenuity has to suffer?

I couldn't really give a toss if the game looks 10% better than the last instalment of COD, I'm not that fussed about how amazing the lighting is, destruction is lovely if it enhances gameplay - my experience of BFBC2 is that at first it does then it does the opposite.

Having some building destructible and not others makes little sense, having them all destructible would kill gameplay so my personal view is that DICE are going down a dead end with that one but its kind of beside the point.

What I want is not a COD killer, but something different, as BF1942, BFV and to an extent BF2 was. If a game as open, expansive and exciting as BF2 isn't yet possible with the graphics and lighting of the latest SP game, then fine, give me what it can be. Give me BF2 with lighting on a par with Crysis, some of the extra bells and whistles of BFBC2. Give me something that does something different to COD, something that does it better, so much better that it stands on it own.

The trouble is I'm not like most of the gamers you'll find, especially those on the battlefield forums etc. But I suspect that I am much more in line with what the majority here think, closer at least. My guess is that's why there's not so much excitement about BF3 here - there is plenty elsewhere.

Was BFBC2 a better game than BF2? It looked better, the lighting was better, it had destruction, the sound was much better. Was it better? No, and history will show it to be far inferior. The drive by the games companies for better graphics, better graphics, better graphics is killing invention and lets be honest is fuelled more by Nvidia and ATI than games players. Portal and even WOW tells us that much. Will BF3 be a better game than BF2? Perhaps, but I don't think I'll like it half as much.

Edited by PiratePlunder

Trying to make a game like BF2 is like trying to capture lightning in a bottle... I think BFBC2 is really a beautiful looking game and i imagine bf3 will be even more pretty.

I just think that BF2 with it's huge maps and relatively realistic characters and weapons is the best. Heck i even still play BF Vietnam once in awhile and it's a blast.

I will probably buy BF3 to check it out and hopefully be suprised. The DICE guys make some really cool stuff... time will tell

you read my mind...i think destructable buildings is a big mistake too.

id be happy with a bf 2.5 with...dynamic lighting for vegetation,glow/bloom,improved shaders,child pco's,animated vehicles (like 2142 mechs but with complete skinned mesh possibilities aswell),multiple ske's,realtime reflections,flashlights,full support for 4x maps,changable key bindings,ingame .bik files on meshes,3rd person camera's,1p body n legs in 1p cam.

ive been thnking for a while,maybe we could cut a deal with dice,a team of talented bf2 modders make a retail expack for bf2,they make money from that to pay for those additions to the engine....win for modders,win for dice,win for the gamers.

Edited by BEEX

I love that idea Beex.

Before BF2 I was constantly playing Day of Defeat. (HL mod eventualy bought out and ruined) I loved it for its exelend and deadly gameplay. Required some form of actual skill and planing, and snipers where not king. Was the first game where I felt cooperation was nessecery. Oh and catching grenades.

Then came BF 1942. Propper game and not a mod. At the time I thought the single player was a crap concept. It was afterall just you on a multiplayer map. But I kept playing it. And playing online was a bit of a chore in those days so it was down to the locak Net Cafe to have my ass handed to me buy random people. Alittle while later and MDT was released and I was going crasy modding weapon files and coming up with all kinds of stupid ideas. I am now hooked on the BF series, though it was still only one game then.

BFV comes around and it is the same deal as BF 1942 with Single player and I am loving it as I can fly my helichopter anywhere I like and blow stuff up. Maps where awsome and the additional abilitys added to the game opened up more modding ability. Excitment.

BF2, Same Single player. So happy. plenty of time to get to know all the maps in preperation for the now easy to conect multyplayer. Very excited about this new unlock system and cant wait to start modding. :( Unlocks can not be changed. First disapointment of BF2. There where many more to follow but the game was still exelent.

Now I look and BF3 with its single player and I think that it is wrong. It feels out of place for this game. No promice of mod tools and the amount of letdown I have had in the past reguarding doing exactly what I want to/need to do to compleat my mod and I am starting to loose the love I have had for this franchise in the past. Sure I am following everything I can about the development of BF3, but I feel less inclined to coment on it.

By the way, the one system that dose exactly what I need it to do is the one system that dose not have access to servers. BFHeros has the best modding ability I have found after BFV/1942. But I cant do anything about it as we can not run our own servers.

Anyway....

Its hard for me to get excited about it yet because they really havent shown us much. The only thing I really care about is the vehicles. I was never much of a flag capper and I spent most of my Bf2 career in the skies. As long as there is plenty of awesome Jet and Chopper combat I will be more than happy to throw 5000+ hours at it.

Beex, you put into words exactly what I feel. I did speak to some DICE guys about releasing the old engine and they didn't completely dismiss the idea. If there was a position somewhere between where we are now and releasing the engine openly then they may well be up for it. Might give them some positive PR when then officially announce no mod tools for BF3. No harm is asking.

CB, I know what you are saying about BF2 but I disagree. It wasn't luck that BF1942, BFV, BF2 and BF2142 were all successful - they had a winning formula which could have gone on and on. The reality is they're trying to compete with other games that really don't bring the battlefield experience - COD for example. Because COD is inherently tighter they can have better graphics, better lighting etc so then DICE try to follow that and even better it but in doing so they have to also loose that big, expansive battlefield experience. Obviously the SP is the clearest example of this, but the MP is heading in the same direction to.

DICE should have had faith and confidence in their formula - a formula that made DICE what it is. Sure it can't stand still but improve on that formula don't just rip it up and copy something else. It may well sell well, very well, might be a COD killer until the next COD comes along, then the next BF comes along then the next COD etc. The losers in all of this are the games players because the BF experience has gone and we're left with two franchises that could almost be clones of each other.

Edited by PiratePlunder

if dice gave a us bunch of new features and fixes for bf2 that would have to be cheaper to dev and license than a half set of mod tools for bf3.

i dought we will get a level editor for bf3.

in a way i can see why they would add some elements of COD...Close quarter battles for fast,less time cunsuming,compact and exiting fire fights,lessen the frustration of walking for five mins to a hotspot and die straight away,makes assault rifles more useful,makes snipers less useful...lol.

i hope they reveal some bf3 multi player footage soon,to calm the masses...lol...i think we are all a little worried how its going to turn out.

as for the sp vids weve seen,i thought they would have done it differently in true BF style,non linear like bf2 sp mode but with "your squad" chasing randomly placed objectives and all the other bots capping flags.

im just going to blurt out how disapointed i am in the lack of intrest for bf3 here...wtf guys
Well,i for my part will simply move on - modding games has been fun but now its time to do something else - like saving the world or so , hehehe . BF1942 was real fun to mod, BF2 was possible to mod but BF3 will be hard to mod and probably not worth the effort.

Industry becomes to restrictive and focused on console comsumers and its not my style to support that. Still i think that DICE did a good job on networked games in the past and if you're into it, BF3 might be the way to go.

saving the world...she needs all the help she can get :)

ill be moving on soon too,focus on making concepts and assets for xperia play games,low poly is just so much fun.

ive been making some bf3 style statics for bf2 and well thats hard enough to do without all the destructable elements,...i think everything in bf3 would be very hard to mod.

• 3 weeks later...

DICE Hiring 2nd Community Manager, Battlefield 3 MP Hints?

DICE is looking for a 2nd Battlefield Community Manager (with a 6 month contract). An interesting note listed under job responsibilities includes monitoring existing a new mods looking for ones to give ranked server support to. It also goes on to talk about map making competitions and Q&A for clans. Could this be a hint of what's to come in Battlefield 3 multiplayer? The multiplayer side of Battlefield 3 is expected to be show at E3 this year (June 7-9, 2011).

If you are looking for a job and think you could be a community mananger for DICE, then this might be the job for you. Remember DICE are in Stockholm, Sweden.

The Community Manager is responsible for planning and executing a strategy for day to day communications to the world wide Battlefield community.

Key responsibilities include:

Disseminating updates through all available channels including forums, official EA territory community teams, fansites, websites and in-game, deciding appropriate channels and timing on a case-by-case basis

Managing the relationship with and providing information and direction to EA territory community managers to ensure a unified flow of information to the community

Community opinion and feedback gathering through forum monitoring, polls and so on

Manage the whole community and its representatives through forums and other available tools

Monitoring the community and providing input and recommendations to Marketing and Development on existing and new player offerings

Planning and executing player programs including events and organized play in close cooperation with the marketing team and EA territory teams

Communication with EA stakeholders about community features

Updating the battlefield.com portal

Other responsibilities

Monitor and communicate with existing mods/look for possible mods to give ranked server support etc

Map making competitions

Q&A for Clans / Mod-groups / media / PR

Maintain community wish list documents for potential future title updates

Manage communication and feedback process for public beta tests

can it be???? :blink:

Edited by 0utlaw

dont forget you can rest/mount weapons on the ground and other objects,thats probly why the deviation is so different.

damn! i wish i had a vid of a custom m4 i did for a bf2 mod(its on an old hd),it played the same as the m4 in the bf3 vid...was sooo awesome,firefights were so loud and awesome:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

from whats been said in various articles there wont be any mod tools due to...

the cost is too high to license some of the bf3 dev tools.

the levels and lighting require multiple networked computers to compile and compress the data.

the big problem is you cant just add a new vehicle/weapon/character/tweak to a bf3 mod then add it to a map then zip it,adding one change means the whole level needs to be compliled,same as with bfbc2 all the game content is added to each map...its most likely done that way to prevent cheating.

ive seen some slide shows of the frostbite 2 engines lighting environment,destructables and i gotta say its bloody complicated stuff,i think there would be only a small handful of bf2 modders with the skills to understand and create objects for bf3.

heres those slideshows,very interesting stuff...

http://publications.dice.se/

Edited by BEEX