Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JONES

Battlefield 3 Informations Overflood

This video just came out today, finally some full gameplay footage. That map looks awesom. biggrin.gif

Graphics certainly look awesome but can't see how you can tell if the maps awesome from some short, heavily cut video.

Quote" Coronaextra - I am Not impressed with the BF3 Beta. Pretty lame IMO."

Wow do tell us more Corona, ive just preordered BF3 smile.gif

Ok, well these are my personal opinions.

Pro's,

-Graphically the game is amazing. Its on par with Crysis and UR3.

-object culling and model swap is superb. Buildings and vegitation come into view smoothly with no noticable popping.

- hit reg seems to work properly. when I shoot somebody in the face.. they die. No dust and no "awe come on man! I shot that guy!

- the game has incredible sound. I cant really describe it. You have to play to understand.

Cons,

- The jets are difficult to control and very slow. You cannot change the control scheme and the mouse pitch is always inverted.. the exact opposite as bf2. I spent most of the time just trying not to crash even though they are incredibly slow.

- Choppers fly exactly like they do in Bc2, which I never liked. (the control scheme)

- Ground pounding feels like Mw2 on steroids. I was hoping it would feel more like BF2 on steriods.

So thats what I noticed so far. I am really just brooding about the jets sucking. All I wanted was awesome jet combat. I hope they listen to everyones complaints and fix them before they release the full game.

Edited by Coronaextra

Awesome that your actually testing it too.

The Pros sound good but i like aerial combat too, i havent tried BC2 or its helis so not sure how different that is to BF2.

After watching a few vids on YouTube it seems the planes dont last long in combat ... is that due to the controls/speed or is the ground defence maybe too strong?

Can you make a vid with running commentary for us? Would be nice to see one from someone who knows what theyre looking at :)

I preordered it also... only put 5 bucks down though lol. I am not liking what i hear about the Origin installer thing. It seems very invasive...

The youtube beta footage looks wild but i can live without BF3 if Origin is the only way to play the game.

I was googling that origin thing but it seems theres a lot of unanswered questions regarding it hmmm.

I mod in the BF2 Demo so im looking forward to seeing what this new Oman map looks like (not to mention BF3 itself hehe).

So now that the game has been released, what is everybodies's thoughts?

I still dont like the gameplay very much. The unlock system is too nepotistic towards people who are at a higher rank. Basically I cant even use jets until I have unlocked the flares. Otherwise I just get shot down immediatly because I have no way to defend myself. Pretty dumb, since stingers are handlheld now. It was cool in AIX but for Human vs Human Multiplayer it makes no sense. They dont even show up on the HUD so I spend the whole time in the air with a locked on sound just waiting to die.

They did make it so I can change the controls for all vehicles though, which makes the gameplay much better than the beta.

Origin is bad. What is worst is that Battlelog is brouser only. It is not part of the game at all. This means that you have to have Origin, your brouser and BF3 all running at the same time and if any one of them craps out on you the whole thing crashes.

I got a digital copy so I could play it the second it went live. Got it instaled and waiting for that midnight start. Rolles around and I click start only to have my brouser open and go to Battlelog (no warning). IE crashes. Start again. This time it loads but ActiveX controls are stoping me from downloading the little patch to fix the ActiveX problem. Finaly fix that. Time to start playing. I will start with Karkand preorder map as I feel I should know it roughely from previous edditions. Nope that content is not live yet. Oh well on to normal MP. Find a conquest match. Join. Look at layout of kit selection. Kicked for being idle for too long. WTF? Have to restart brouser to join next game. Try again. This time I just selected my kit and was off. Two minutes in I was kicked by admin. By now I have been trying to play for over an hour past start time and I am very annoyed at DICE for this rubish. Go to bed. Woke up today ready to try again. Do about 20 minutes of single player befor game crashed. Tryed some Co-op with a friend. 5 minutes in his game crashes. (Choice Expleative) this, time to start searching for solutions. Apparently alot of people are having similar problems. Forums have been up for a couple of days and they have over 11,000 topics (and god knows how many responces) all to do with some for of issue with the game, Origin, or Battlelog. I fixed up PB, I reinstaled the game (there goes another 11.5gbs I will never get back.), updated drivers, (played with registry), and tryed many other things to get the game stable and playing. I can now play single player and co-op. But I can only play MP on servers without punkbuster running on them. That being said there are PF free servers that are still ranked. (This I do not get) so yeah I can play buy I am very limited in how I play and I still get the odd occasional crash.

There are many things that are stupid about Battlelog. All resaulting from good intentions but porly implemented. But my bigest hate on the whole thing is the voice chat. It is designed for friends. That is awsome on the surface. Join a game and find yourselves on diferent teams and you can still chat to each other. This is cool but I can do this with many other programs out there. Try to speak to your squad though, whitch can be vital at times, and your only option is to stop playing, go to battlelog and befriend each and everymember of your squad and turn on your mic. You can only hear if your mic is on as there is no hear only for those that do not like to speak but want to hear. Someone leaves your squad and others join and you have to repeat the whole prosess. And, in addition to all this the default activation button is Shift, so you are broadcasting whenever you run. You can change this but it resets to shift with the end of a group or apon closing the brouser. Abserlute rubish. Just give us back the old squad coms we had before. Keep the group coms in the brouser if you want but make squad chatter possable and easy.

Appart from all that, from what I have seen in this game, I am realy liking it. The new spotting mechanism is brilient. I hope I have a better day tomorrow with it.

at first i was really pissed off with origin,battlelog and bf3,but now ive got my head around it its quite good...besides the squad chat as mentioned above...very silly idea dice.

and the installer,dice/ea could have said once origin is installed,your logged in and origin is running open the discdrive and close it to install bf3...hours of searching for that answer...grrr!

my only real concerns are...

1.the jets are useless until you get unlocks,i flew around for 2 whole rounds in the beta,25 mins and 28 mins without a single kill,although it was fun it was infuriating.

2.adding laser guided missiles to jets instead of bombs makes armour useless,its bad enough having to contend with all the rpg's...a well placed bomb from a jet takes skill.

3.remove the mobile stingers.

4.remove heat seakers from helicopters.

5.improve the accuracy of the hydra 70's on attacks helo's,crosshair doesnt match trajectory at distance,and add more visible smoke trails and bigger explosions so you know where the missiles are going.

6.increase velocity on tank shells,tank battles should happen over long distances not from 20 meters away...lol

the infantry combat is definatly bf3's strong point,once you get lots of unlocks it makes things alot better.

I have similar thoughts to Beex,

The vehicles seem to get destroyed too quickly (air and ground).

The vehicle unlocks kinda hold you back from using them effectively.

Some sounds seem to stop and restart sometimes like the tank engine whilst driving.

The sniper scope when zoomed sometimes gives you a random full screen view with no crosshair - have to press 1 again.

The "standard realism" sucks, you can hit someone a few times and see the blood splatters yet they live - best use the Hardcore servers.

When you shoot an enemy as he goes into the knife kill anim on a team player he doesnt die and still gets the kill even when shot before he got to the player.

Your going to die a lot lol.

The unlocks definately make life easier :)

The gameplay and visual/audio/FX experience is amazing, theres so much going on its the most realistic game ive ever seen.

The Coop missions are good fun when playing with friends, nice maps and missions, a TDM mode would be nice tho.

Single Player is a great plot and has some great maps.

Great selection of MultiPlayer maps with various times of day and night.

Amazing selection of unlockable kit/accessories.

Once its setup and running - origin makes life easy to find friends/view your stats etc etc, im not a fan of origin but it seems to work effectively with BF3.

Theres lots to learn/unlock/find out. :)

OOh factor: 10 :)

Get Some!

EDIT:

The cheats are now making the servers not worth joining, wallhacks/aimbots etc etc, baseraping/spawnkilling is a pain in the ass, i cant say im enjoying it anymore, i probs have more quits than kills now :(

Edited by Cobra_SFX

I'd like to bitch a little more about some stuff that is really bothering me.

- Mobile AA is rediculously overpowered. Once you have unlocked Zoom Optics and Belt speed, the AA is unbeatable. Last two nights I went 20-0 in the tungunsta on Firestorm killing jets and choppers and there was nothing they could do about it. It was easy, it took no skill.

- Baserape as a "Bad Thing" is subjective, and should have been left up to the server admins to decide. Hard coding combat areas so that Infy and Armor can never go to the uncap is presumptuous.

- Getting disconnected from a server clears your score.

- Origin name = BF3 player name. Every game at Origin uses the same Alias pool, so everytime someone registers, the list of available usernames gets smaller. At least Steam lets you change your display name at will. It took a lot of time to find a unique way to spell CORONA just so I could use my Alias. So whats gonna happen 5 years down the road when you cant even be "asdfiuhwaerk393ihfi" cuz its already taken.

- Connection issues. I get disconnected all the time. Its not my ISP, internet is working fine.

- Regen health is bullshit. Totally unrealistic. Luckily, its a server parameter and can be turned off, but it never should have been offered. This is Battlefield, not COD. Damn it.

- No free cam.

- Players cant move until the actual game starts. I was hoping they would fix this after the BETA. I dont mean during the countdown before the round starts, that is a good thing IMO. Everybody gets a fair chance to have the vehicle they want. I mean when theres not enough players to start the round, we should be able to run around the map and explore.

- Not EVERY gun needs tracers. No sniper in his right mind would load his rifle with tracer rounds. It gives a way your position and defeats the purpose of sniping all together.

- RPG's are underpowered and the repair tool is overpowered.

/rant

Edited by Coronaextra

How is it that no one is complaining about the map? There's no full screen map, no way to view the entire map, and no way to select spawn points by clicking on them (obviously left over from consoles).

Then there's all that hud crap. In BF2 I always had mine turned off (press alt), but I can't find a way to do that in BF3.

Combat areas suck, having to use my ea account name sucks, not being able to play on empty servers sucks (where the fuck is lan mode?), origin sucks...

I got the DVD version. Came home and copied the discs into two folders, DISC1 and DISC2. Copied them to my other computer (no DVD drive) and installed. Instead of asking me for the second disc, origin appeared to begin downloading it from the net. So I had to cancel the install, copy the contents of DISC2 to DISC1 and start over. Bullshit. And why it says "downloading" instead of "copying" is beyond me.

The only time it felt like a battlefield game was when I strapped some C4 to a jeep and ran it into a tank. Oh and it takes all 3 C4 to blow up a tank? Lame.

At work we have a paper with the release dates of all the new games. BF3 was listed as "Battlefield Bad Company 3". Sounds about right.

I agree with most peoples comments on here. I was highly skeptical from the very beginning but I got nagged into getting it. I wish I had stuck with my gut reaction and saved the money. It's not fun to play, it is a highly polished turd basically. Some people will enjoy it and thats fair enough but if you havn't purchased it yet and your gut reaction is not to then I suggest don't. When I finally got it working online (more effort than necessary for a brand new game) I see all the worst kind of crap as a legacy from earlier battlefields, stats padding, spawn killing etc. No jet whoring though but that's because they are largely useless. It's just a joke to play, no proper map and I'm sorry but flares as an unlock for the jet? Give me a break. "It's pretty" as one of my close friends said just isn't good enough, they've sacrificed gameplay in a big way.