Official BF Editor Forums
bergerkiller

Battlefield Debugger

Hello everyone.

Recently went into Window API's and I got some good news: I managed to access the Error dialog windows, get the error text and close the Window by clicking the Continue button!

Result: Loading the map all errors automatically logged and closed. No more minutes lost of clicking :lol:

I'll add the program as soon it is stable and has a nice GUI. ;)

EDIT

Battlefield2Debugger1.png

It even logs errors ingame :o

It is added to the collection BTW, since this simple yet useful program managed to go through that wave of errors so easily. :D

Edited by bergerkiller

I've been using the debugger quite a bit as of lately.

Using a "hacked" bf2_r.exe to set the /my documents/battlefield 2/ to /my documents/debuggerBF 2/ to avoid conflicting controls files.

Btw, you could've avoided the minutes of clicking by setting +ignoreAsserts 1

But comes in handy when you want to log error messages.

Btw did I mention the debugger works online and can be run in dedicated server mode? Should totally get a 64p debugger server up and running someday.

Here's the link for instructions on how to hack your BF2(_r).EXE to use other profile folders:

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15303

The debugger can be put into dedicated mode by adding '+dedicated' to its launch shortcut. Here's an example target line to fire up a XWW2 dedicated debugger COOP server:

"C:\Games\Battlefield 2\BF2_r.exe" +ai 1 +menu 1 +fullscreen 0 +dedicated +modPath mods/xww2 Note that my game resides in /Games instead of the usual /Program Files/EA Games...

Your /Settings/maplist.con should contain a valid map list.

I also suggest to fix as much of these errors as possible. The fewer errors your mod comes with the more stable it will run.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

Yep, you should always limit the amount of errors you get. Some people (like me hehe) haven't run the mod in debug mode for a long time, and lots of errors come up about comp type redeclaration errors, framerate issues, etc. And of course the regular bf2 errors you get of the HUD. For those that never ran their mod in debug mode and don't want to go past the same old errors every time, the program can come in handy. ;)

' date='07 June 2011 - 08:37 AM' timestamp='1307428654' post='104107']

Here's the link for instructions on how to hack your BF2(_r).EXE to use other profile folders:

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15303

The debugger can be put into dedicated mode by adding '+dedicated' to its launch shortcut. Here's an example target line to fire up a XWW2 dedicated debugger COOP server:

"C:\Games\Battlefield 2\BF2_r.exe" +ai 1 +menu 1 +fullscreen 0 +dedicated +modPath mods/xww2 Note that my game resides in /Games instead of the usual /Program Files/EA Games...

Your /Settings/maplist.con should contain a valid map list.

I also suggest to fix as much of these errors as possible. The fewer errors your mod comes with the more stable it will run.

I put together a package with all the required files in BF2 general discussion. And a nice video showing some of its functionality.

But don't forget +ignoreAsserts 1 ! Removes all those error messages.

The interesting concept of using debugger for online play however, is clients also have unrestricted console access. Together with python, it could potentially be used to modify code on both clients and servers.