Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cobrachoppergirl

I Want To Blot Out The Sun

Is the sun light source built into the map? I mean, is there a way I can dynamically change it like the gravity variable, and dim it up and down (let alone, change its position)?

It sure would be nice if (at least) the lighting cycled through morning, noon, dusk, and night... :-/

dynamically? no. even if you moved the sun, the lightmaps would still reflect the old sun position and would look weird. and also the single-colour fog is pretty much useless for anything like dawn/sunset

dynamically? no. even if you moved the sun, the lightmaps would still reflect the old sun position and would look weird. and also the single-colour fog is pretty much useless for anything like dawn/sunset

How is this done then?

The video discription says that you need some external programs to do that but i still dont think it will fix the light map problem. Dynamic shadows might work but they are very buggy on big buildings so you probably would need to recode the shaders for them.

Edited by Bad_santa12345

That is done by invoking sky.con commands dynamically through an external program. The shadows are just dynamic shadows. You can also do it through python on a local server.

You can't edit the sky settings serverside, as you would imagine.

Let me guess, you played Minecraft recently? :D

You can always play around with a night map and move a lightsource around. Doubt it would make shadows though.