Official BF Editor Forums

Objects Exports With A Missing Face

Outlawz

I'd say either the normals on that face are reversed or you didn't triangulate the mesh before exporting. Not sure about the max tools, but the maya importer (mparser60) will auto-triangulate the mesh, but does a really bad job of it.

Edited by Chael

I'd say either the normals on that face are reversed or you didn't triangulate the mesh before exporting. Not sure about the max tools, but the maya importer (mparser60) will auto-triangulate the mesh, but does a really bad job of it.

you use the Maya importer!?!?!!

There's nothing wrong with using Maya - after all it has been used by DICE to create all of BF2's original content. Chael - if you find the time a basic tutorial for using Maya to create e.g. a static object would be great. Over the time we had a few questioneers regarding Maya and none of us Max users can help them.

@Outlawz: I've had exports with this error more than once and in a few cases i had no choice than to delete the face and insert a new one. There's a function in Max which eases filling holes like that but i can't remember its name atm.

Btw, if its a flipped normal you'd see it from the inside in the BF2editor.

a function in Max which eases filling holes like that but i can't remember its name atm

i guess that would be the 'Cap Holes' modifier which i've never used.

for stuff like this i'd do something like Select Open Edges > (Edge Mode) Visible > Create Shape From Edges - you'll instantly see what's an actual hole and what's merely a flipped face. make sure you have 'visible edges' turned off (F4 key) for best results