Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cobrachoppergirl

Oh Bullsh*t !

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

"The decisions to retire older EA games are never easy. The development teams and operational staff pour their hearts into these games almost as much as the customers playing them and it is hard to see one retired. But as games get replaced with newer titles, the number of players still enjoying the older games dwindles below a point -- fewer than 1% of all peak online players across all EA titles -- where it’s feasible to continue the behind-the-scenes work involved with keeping these games up and running. We would rather our hard-working engineering and IT staff focus on keeping a positive experience for the other 99% of customers playing our more popular games. We hope you have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of the games and we appreciate your ongoing patronage."

August 11, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

ARMY OF TWO™ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

ARMY OF TWO™ Demo for Xbox 360

Battlefield 2142™ Demo for PC

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat™ for Xbox 360

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat™ Demo for Xbox 360

Medal of Honor Airborne™ for PlayStation Portable

Medal of Honor Heroes™ 2 for PlayStation Portable and Wii

NASCAR® 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (North America)

NCAA® Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NCAA® Football 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Need for Speed™ Most Wanted for PC and Xbox 360

Need for Speed™ Undercover for PlayStation Portable;

SKATE™ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 10 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11 Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

So does this mean that the master browser list to list BF2142 demo servers will no longer function, therefore the, BF2142 Demo will no longer function?????

Or does this mean they will just stop supporting it by answering questions in the forums, which as far as I'm concerned, they stopped doing any kind of support anyway after they released the Demo code which for the last number of X years is still at 1.0 ?????

The first, is FATAL. The second, is irrelevant. Someone clarify this for me. The first, I will be royally pissed off, I put 3 years into modding the dominant server for the Demo community, the second, I will just roll my eyes and go oh whatever, why don't you fix the ENTER/EXIT vehcile bug, and map change bug, in your C code, and the forums support be d@mn....

Bloody hell, I bought all the full versions of their entire Battlefield series, not to play them (which I don't, I play the demo over and over again because thats the server I spent 3 years modding on), but just to give them some bucks to keep the server lists running.... Gamespy or whatever third party company runs them... !@#$%^

~

So is there any way to hack / mod the client so it requests its server browser list from somewhere else, and I run the browser server list for everybody??? Any access to the code for this, or any clues to what this protocol is / how it chit chats back and forth so I can code up something to keep the entire Demo community alive... assuming I can get such a mad, insane thing done in 2 months (which I can't) and tell all 200,000 players where to download a patch to their client to have it request the list of online servers from... elsewhere.

Also, will this totally kill the game, or will players still be able to LOG IN, and connect via IP or if they have FAVORITED the servers...

I'm assuming they kill the entire server that maintains player records, which means, its all down the toilet...

3 years of work, 850 graphics, 100s of mods and bug fixes, and it none of it even landed me a nibble for a job in the games industry....

and they're pulling the plug in 2 weeks on my server and there is nothing I can do about it...

*SNARL*

Edited by cobrachoppergirl

From my contact inside EA:

"I remember doing these updates. This is a growing list. When a product launches

with an online component the shelf life for that online lobby is usually no more

than 3-4 years (and that's being generous under their judgement). When the PSU

reaches a low point of around no more than 10 uniques per night or 50 a week, they

schedule the "sunset".

Basically it means that the multiplayer services provided by EA (server browser

list, online lobbies, etc.) are going away. I;ve seen some of the more popular

games get their online infrastructure farmed out to folks like IGN/GameSpy but there

had to be a good reason for them to do that (i.e. lots of players)."

You should try to get in touch with Krauzi; I remember he was doing some work on emulating the EA account servers.

Also, there is a way to join online games with single-player accounts, but I guess the 2142 demo doesn't support those (can't remember). Basically it involves messing with the menu (pretty sure anyway). I think Cassio did that by accident with our mod, because we can definitely get online with SP accounts.

Hope this is helpful in some way.

I can't even get the full game to install so I can jump ship and move over... because its so much BS involved just to install a working version of the full game... if I go from 1.0 dvd, to registry edit, to 1.51 patch,

Required Registry edit for BF2142

it won't let me play on any servers...

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlefield-2142-technical-support-faqs/118563-unmodified-content-error-solution-guide-2.html

I remember I use to to be able to go 1.0 -> 1.4 - 1.5 and that would work

but not with 1.51

I can play a full game single player game all by myself... that's a whole ball of fun, lemme tell ya. Can't even see the mulitplayer only maps anymore (which is most of them), because I can't join any multiplayer servers. UNLESS I suppose I create my own server locally to play by myself, and even then I don't think I will be able to join... !@#$%^&

Edited by cobrachoppergirl