Official BF Editor Forums
nacho

REAL world in the bf2 editor

Hello from Spain sorry about my english and my condolences for the people affected by karina. Today i have managed to import real world data in the game and fly across the hills near my town....

how do i achieve this?

I used a grayscale map that come from a autocad polylines 1:5000 and convert it with terrain 3dsmax feature to a polyline mesh

I convert this mesh via plugin terragen-max in a grayscale jpg and then to raw format in Pshop then to the bf2 editor

You can obtain free dems or strm dems 90 meters detail in the net and convert it to grayscale via lot of different 3d packages also.

You can also vectorize topo maps and convert to grayscale or dems also

For the color map i used aerial photos at 1 pixel per meter resolution the best i can find here... Then i referenced in Pshop via layers..the heighmap map and the aerial photos. Then split then to dds files,,and go to the bf2 editor

Now im refining textures and learning lowdetailtextures..

I have not time to explain the whole technique but hope this help people

useful programs: WCS 5 or 6, 3dsmax , Rhino, Bryce, Vue, 3dem, vistapro...

Someway i have managed to have heighmaps and aerials from all spain and using the scale item in editor i want to make great air combats over the Pyrenees... i know is the moment is coming;)

thank you all

http://spaces.msn.com/members/mvirt/

Hate to burst your bubble, but I'm sure a lot of people already knew this, but if they hadn't, word to the wise: read! On a side note, your english seemed fine to me, and thanks for the condolences.

you cant burst the bubble boy... i live close to many natural parks, i have the aerials, heighmaps and this render motor... and i love to fly over my surrondings at 1 meter per pixel;) i know lot of aplications who can do this...but you cant fire missiles to the villages;)

No, the are not visible seams, the only seams observed were coming from the union between the aerial original photos, that i tried to correct with pshop 6 (without the color matching tool). Well Im trying now to obtain close detail phototextures from this zone (5 km from home) to use with detailtextures and then the vegetation...By the moment not detailtextures...

hi

please can you provide some working links to free dem download sites.

ive searched and searched + have only found 1 semi-decent site :

its called NGA Raster Roam - heres a link :

http://geoengine.nima.mil/geospatial/SW_TOOLS/NIMAMUSE/webinter/rast_roam.html

its completely free + no registration

you can get the dem for any part of the planet

each dem is a small 0.2 mb download

theres various different output file options

but its not perfect

the worldmap is a bit small making accuracy a nightmare

fortunately you can also use gps data to get exactly what you need (get that from google earth)

it could use a better zoom factor tho...

theres even an option to export as a terragen file - but this doesnt seem to work...maybe u need to have terragen installed for it to work - idk

Regards

Psi_

Edited by Psi_Co_Killa

ive done all of the above . but theres only a few usable green squares and their all in the usa

rather handy that google earth has a big red x over northern america + u cant look at anything.

the map i am trying to make is based on the temple : Preah Vihear , wich is on the border of thailand + cambodia

and there is actually some contention over whether it belongs to thailand + cambodia

its just perfect for a bf2 map

and with all the above steps i still dont get the dem for this area....i tried doing it by hand (it took ages + looked crap...)

using the site i mentioned i get a dem , but its zoom is useless - so the dem is of an area probably 30 times what i need.

regards

Psi_

Edited by Psi_Co_Killa

Sorry, I guess that link has changed since Zeno posted it. What your looking for is SRTM 4.1 and it doesn't seem to be on that page anymore. Here is a direct link..

SRTM 4.1

This should provide Topo Dems for everywhere on the planet except for the poles and the oceans.