Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheDamagedOne

Stadium Wip

This is my first attempt at modeling a map for BF2... This is also my first attempt at modeling in 3Ds Max. I've been at this for week or so on and off. I think it's coming along pretty good.

It's going to be an indoor stadium. I've got the basic bleacher setup in my head, I just need to figure out how the inner workings are going to come together like the hallways, locker rooms, etc.

Comments are welcomed and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am still learning as I go, so any advice that can make the process move along is welcomed as well! Thanks!

bleacherswip5.jpg

Yeah, that's really awesome! When you finish it I'd love to play a few rounds on it; maybe someone could set up a server and invite all the guys here to check it out.

Thanks guys! I've gotten a little further on it the past few days... It might be a while until it's ready to play. Like I said, it's my first time doing a map and modeling in 3D Max so I'm learning as I go. Definitely keep looking for updates in the near future... Along with many many questions lol. :D

That looks awesome! I remember a couple of years ago I thought of trying to get a stadium level for bf2, i wanted to do a 1on1 from across the field, perhaps even chuck in some cars haha. Tried looking at google earth 3d models but they were just way too low poly haha, I'd love to see how this turns out!! :D

Thanks rhysm!

I thought about modeling this based on a real stadium but without sufficient amount of detailed photos, I didn't want to wing it and it ending up not looking anything like the stadium.

Below is an update on the model. I've begun the inner workings and such. This is where it is going to take a while as there will be a lot of detail. This is still very early, so some parts and pieces are missing.

bleacherswip7.jpg

Looking real nice, looks like your a regular max pro :) I would keep in mind chopping it up into small bits, so to get nice detailed lightmaps which will bring this to life when done ;)

Keep up the good work ;)^_^

Edited by Bensta

Thanks Bensta! My plan is to model all the bits and pieces in the Max scene and then export them individually when it's all ready to be moved over to the editor. That's still a ways off right now though. I'm sure many questions will be asked when I get to that point though. lol

Edited by TheDamagedOne

Here is another progress render... and question. As you can see, I have made the railing panels glass. Is that possible in BF2?

Yes, but it needs to be a bundledmesh. StaticMeshs only accept 1-bit alpha which is either complety opaque or translucent. Bundlemeshes accept 8 bit alpha and the technique is called AlphaEnvMap. Heres a good thread to read for this.

http://www.bfeditor....h=1entry91022

Looks great so far! I hope all of the cloned pieces are Instances and not Copies so you only have to unwrap them once! ;)

Edited by Coronaextra

Thanks for the link! I'll definitely give that a look when I get to that point.

As for the cloned objects... Yea I didn't do the instance thing lol... BUT I don't want everything look the same. I'm my experience with texturing, it's the imperfections that make perfect textures.