Official BF Editor Forums
TheDamagedOne

Double Sided Plane?...

So I'm working on a flag model for a map I'm designing and in an effort to keep poly count down, I'm wanting to use just a plane. I have ran into a problem however. I want to have a banner design with text on the flag but when I try this, it appears flipped on one side. I've asked a few people I know and they don't think it's possible to have the image appear normally on a plane on both sides. Just to make sure I can't, I thought I'd ask here before I try to find another solution that would save some polys. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

In BF2, only the overgrowth leaf shader will render two sided. For regular static meshes back faces are completely transparent, so using planes where the player will see the back face wont work.

The shell modifier can turn a plane into a thin box, which is what you want. You can collapse or remove verts if you think poly count is an issue. The image will be flipped on one side, so you just need to add an unwrap uvw modifier, go to face sub-object mode, select that face, and hit the "mirror horizontal" button on the tool bar.Then you might need to move it back into position.

This doesnt really have anything to do with your question, but I think you might be needing it soon. :)

http://battlefield2.filefront.com/file/Tutorial_BF2_Layers;46165

Thanks for the response Corona! It helps to know that bit of info so I don't wast time trying to find a solution.

While on the subject of poly count, what do you think is a good place to be for a map?

Hmm, I dont know really. The Kubra Dam static as a whole is 50k polys with the largest section being 17k (its split up and exported as 10 different pieces). I've read that the exporter caps out at 65k per object but I've never tried to exceed that so I dont know if its true or not.

If its something big that will only be placed in the scene once I dont think poly count is all that big of a deal, as long as you stay reasonable. Use as many as you need to get the shape you want. You can always optimize and split it up later.

Splitting up a large static gives the advantage of each piece having its own lightmap texture, and therefor higher res lightmaps across the mesh as a whole.

Right on. 50k is probably a good number to hit for me. I'm right now sitting at about 8500k total for all my objects and I only have one out of the 4 major sections to complete before getting into the detailed stuff.

8.5 million polys? Thats too many, WAY too many lol. Did you use a bunch of turbosmooths or something? That many polys is really only acceptable for setting up a high poly normal map bake for a vehicle, weapon or soldier. Just worry about the object's silhouette for now, you can add small details with normal maps when you texture it. :P

Edited by Coronaextra