Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mavrik347

Crumpled Polygon Only In Render

Hey chaps, I have something to show you.

When I render this model the polygon seems all crumpled, yet in the viewport it's fine. Smoothing has been applied and I have manually done the triangulation. I can't work out why it's showing like this. Any ideas?

crumpling.jpg

you might be able to solve it if you re-triangulate, but personally i'd be dividing those long edges. that shape does not really allow for edges to run the entire length - those closest to the concave side will cause trouble, as you have found out

if you were to divide them in line with the bit where your triangulation shifts. i.e. about halfway along the side (or just the edges closest to the side if you're worried about the poly count) you should be able to keep the shape smooth and get rid of those artifacts

fwiw, long thin faces are always going to be problematic on a curve so it's best to keep them to a minimum

Yea needs better triangulation, they way too long and narow, i'd add some verts along the center spine to trianglate to, so to get those triangles more triangle looking. :P

Gonna be honest, I'm not sure how best to slice that poly while not disrupting the nice curve is has. I've tried a few things like slice but all it does is add inaccurate vertices half way up. But in order to keep that curve all the way down the edges must travel the whole way regardless of how many "jumps" between vertices they have to take.

Surly it's doable, people make FAR higher poly meshes than this in the profession and I've never seen them rendered like this, it's just silly how it's rendering them.

Edited by Mavrik347

I've tried a few things like slice but all it does is add inaccurate vertices half way up.

detach a clone of those polys. slice the clone in the appropriate spot. then with Snap turned on, Divide the edges of the real polys using the clone as a guide

Hard to see the problem area from your pics because of the writing, but i bet all you need to do is add some verts here and clean the edges up. (shown in pic, maybe better little lower too) to fix it and it wount affect the overall curve. Hope my pic helps, if not and are stuck upload the file and sure myself or clive could find an easy fix.

2edqycy.jpg

Edited by Bensta