Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilentDoh

2142 Buildings In A Bf2 Map

I have both bf2 and 2142 loaded and I have 2142 loaded into the editor. Is it posssibe to put 2142 buildings into a map for bf2 or aix2 and if so what would I have to do so the buildings would show up for other people that may not have 2142?

Technically it is illegal to port content from one BF game to another. If you're just doing it for your own amusment and don't distribute to others there probably wont be any issues.

Other than that, it is possible to copy statics from 2142 to Bf2. You need to copy over the object and all applied textures. If the object has any children attached to it, you will need to copy those over as well or REM out that code. If I remember correctly there are shaders/techniques that are unique to 2142 so you may have to edit the materials and find a suitable bf2 equivalent.

Good luck, and dont distribute it. ;)

Technically it is illegal to port content from one BF game to another.

yeah you are correct but they also said that as long as those BF resources stay in the BF world and don't go outside it, i.e. get ported over to non-BF games, they wouldn't have a problem with it. i figure BF3 is the one exception to that rule; they'd probably spew if people started stripping BF3 models and using them elsewhere

the main issue with using 2142 statics is the lack of lightmaps - like the BF2 booster extras, there is none available for these so if you place them in a custom map they will appear stark and unnatural due to the lack of shadows. you could make some lightmaps for them of course; this would require you to import the models into max and re-export them again, and so is not a real quick solution

as to your original question - anything the static uses, you would need to include - e.g. the .staticmesh, .collisionmesh, .con, .tweak, any textures the static may be using, plus anything else associated with it (for example if you were crossporting the BF2 Karkand burning building, you'd also want the effects for the fires/smoke in the windows. i don't recall if there's anything like that in 2142)

Edited by clivewil

the main issue with using 2142 statics is the lack of lightmaps - like the BF2 booster extras, there is none available for these so if you place them in a custom map they will appear stark and unnatural due to the lack of shadows. you could make some lightmaps for them of course; this would require you to import the models into max and re-export them again, and so is not a real quick solution

You can generate editor lightmap samples using BFmeshview for any static that has a lightmap UV channel (channel 5). And you can always use the max lightmapping tools without samples. Unless there is something special about 2142 statics I dont see why either of those methods would not work. :)

You can generate editor lightmap samples using BFmeshview for any static that has a lightmap UV channel (channel 5)

is that so? i'll have to give that a try then, i haven't used meshview since very early on, when it was just that - a mesh viewer and not much else. i hope it works, i might be able to properly light some of the booster statics at long last. i know 3dsmax made a mess of the UV channels when i tried doing it that way

Ok now I see why you don't see any maps with 2142 stuff in it. How do I determine what staticmesh, .collisionmesh, .con, .tweak, any textures the static may be using are for each building, and do they get there own folder or do they go into the existing folders in the maps directory?

If you were using 2142 instead of bf2, in the last patch a whole load of bf2 stuff was ported to 2142 for strike at karkand. Obviously though, that would mean using a different game as a base for your mod.

Ok now I see why you don't see any maps with 2142 stuff in it.

There are plenty of maps with 2142 stuff in them,look again

Dont be concerned about the missing lightmaps

I am yet to see a negative comment or complaint about them yet (well maybe one),with BF2142,XPACK or Booster statics used in maps

also this may be of help to you

http://www.x-07.de/bf2142placementguide.htm

AIX214211.jpg

Thanks Devilman the screenshot you are showing us is of BF2 stuff in a 2142 map correct? I am trying to put 2142 buildings into a Bf2 map. The link is helpful in finding where the 2142 items are in the list. Does anyone know if you can download the buildings all ready lightmapped by any chance?

Thanks Devilman the screenshot you are showing us is of BF2 stuff in a 2142 map correct?

No,the screenshot is BF2's Gulf Of Oman,with all BF2 statics/buildings,replaced by BF2142 statics/buildings

I am trying to put 2142 buildings into a Bf2 map.

Just like the title of your thread says ;)

That's great you can put 2142 objects in a Bf2 map then play it in 2142 wonderful. If you have a list of BF2 or 2142 maps that can be played in BF2 or AIX2 that have 2142 objects in them then please list them. I have never looked for player made 2142 maps for 2142 so I have no idea what is out tthere. I also never thought to use the xpack for 2142. How do I load the xpack for 2142?

Edited by SilentDoh

yeah you are correct but they also said that as long as those BF resources stay in the BF world and don't go outside it, i.e. get ported over to non-BF games, they wouldn't have a problem with it. i figure BF3 is the one exception to that rule; they'd probably spew if people started stripping BF3 models and using them elsewhere

as to your original question - anything the static uses, you would need to include - e.g. the .staticmesh, .collisionmesh, .con, .tweak, any textures the static may be using, plus anything else associated with it (for example if you were crossporting the BF2 Karkand burning building, you'd also want the effects for the fires/smoke in the windows. i don't recall if there's anything like that in 2142)

Ok so once I move a building into the map where would I look to find all the things that the building needs and when I move them into the new maps file what folder should they go into or do they get a different folder?

You can generate editor lightmap samples using BFmeshview for any static that has a lightmap UV channel (channel 5). And you can always use the max lightmapping tools without samples. Unless there is something special about 2142 statics I dont see why either of those methods would not work. :)

I downloaded BFmeshview and started playing with it are there any tutorials out for it how do I use it to generate lightmap samples.

Open the object's staticmesh file with BfMeshview. Go to Tools>Generate Samples. The default settings are probably correct but you may have to change the UV channel to six if that's where the lighmap UV's are. Hit generate and it will place a .samples file in the object's mesh directory.

I assume that you have already downloaded the editor lightmap samples and have lightmapped an object in the editor before. If not, here are some links.

Lightmap Samples.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_10178.shtml

Lightmap Tutorial.

http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10002

Now grab the .samples file you created and place it inside the lightmapsamples.zip file. It must be placed at the exact same path as the object's staticmesh file. So if the object is installed at /objects/staticobjects/2142stuff/meshes/2142stuff.staticmesh then the sample needs to be placed inside the lightmapsamples.zip at /objects/staticobjects/2142stuff/meshes/2142stuff.samples

You should now be able to lightmap the object in the editor. I dont have 2142 anymore so I wont be able to cite any specific examples.