Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rukqoa

Mod Tools W/ Gui Release V1

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?yvyz98l627s5ux8

BC2 Mod Tools v1

This tool was designed to speed up modding dbx files over multiple fbrb archives in BC2 using the combined hard work of a lot of people. I plan on updating the tools as more become available. The program was written using Java; source code available upon demand.

Dependencies:

Python: necessary for dbx file editing

Perl: necessary for repacking archives

Special thanks to:

Aluigi's QuickBMS extractor

Dhwang's Fbrb repacker

Frankelstner's DBX reader

Frankelstner's XML to DBX script

Start BC2ModTools.exe, no other installation necessary.

The program might freeze when it is unarchiving/archiving the fbrb file. This is normal. You will know when the work is done when the menu unfreezes. It is unadvised to kill the process when it is working.

For extracting .fbrb, run the unarchiver. The files will be stored in tools/workingdir.

To repack into .fbrb, run the archiver. The new fbrb file will automatically replace the original from where it came from.

To read a dbx file, open it. It will replace/delete if a xml file is already there. Save it (in the menu) before you repack. The program will not auto-save or ask you if you forgot.

It is possible to use the same dbx file for multiple archives. Unarchive, open DBX, save DBX, archive. Then, unarchive new fbrb, save DBX (it will save over whatever was originally there), archive, and repeat.

For any problems, ask away.

Edited by rukqoa

I'm wondering right now, how should things be handled in the end? For example I can imagine extracting all archives and leaving them at their respective place. Convert the dbx files to xml as well and maybe even delete the dbx part. When all changes are made everything can then be packed together.

But then again there are so many duplicates, or what seem to be duplicates. Different files in the archive have different pathnames (capitalized vs non-capitalized) which point at the same folder. I suppose this means the files originally come from different places.

And as for modding, would it be suitable to move everything from the package folder to the main folder and create mods within package? Are there better ways? In the end it might be necessary put objects into the map-specific folders because apparently the game just loads everything from a folder with no way to specify which files to use (both bf2 and bf3 have this option). On the other hand there is plenty of RAM nowadays and 4gb is a bit better than a 512mb console.

Well, first I'm going to take another look at dbx files.

I'm wondering right now, how should things be handled in the end? For example I can imagine extracting all archives and leaving them at their respective place. Convert the dbx files to xml as well and maybe even delete the dbx part. When all changes are made everything can then be packed together.

But then again there are so many duplicates, or what seem to be duplicates. Different files in the archive have different pathnames (capitalized vs non-capitalized) which point at the same folder. I suppose this means the files originally come from different places.

And as for modding, would it be suitable to move everything from the package folder to the main folder and create mods within package? Are there better ways? In the end it might be necessary put objects into the map-specific folders because apparently the game just loads everything from a folder with no way to specify which files to use (both bf2 and bf3 have this option). On the other hand there is plenty of RAM nowadays and 4gb is a bit better than a 512mb console.

Well, first I'm going to take another look at dbx files.

Wait, so you've figured out how to combine them all into one nice big fbrb package?!

So, is there a way to just unpack all the fbrb stuff, dump them into one giant folder, change stuff, and archive them into mp_common or something and delete everything else? I think there might be a problem with the game if it decides to check the size of each file.

Wait, so you've figured out how to combine them all into one nice big fbrb package?!

So, is there a way to just unpack all the fbrb stuff, dump them into one giant folder, change stuff, and archive them into mp_common or something and delete everything else? I think there might be a problem with the game if it decides to check the size of each file.

Well, there's only one way to find out. :)

Modtools.exe does not launch, any ideas?

Windows error popup

---------------------------

Error

The program

F:\Games\Battlefield Bad Company 2\Package\levels\sp_02\BC2ModTools\BC2ModTools.exe

includes evaluation version of a Java Runtime not eligible for distribution.

Please contact vendor of this application.

OK