Official BF Editor Forums
nickenix

How To Add X-Axis Inversion

Hi all,

So you know how Bad Company 2 for PC (and most FPSs for that matter) has the option to invert the Y-axis?

Well it doesnt have the same option for the X-axis.

So my question is how do I manually (how and where) insert an inverse X-axis rule or code?

It's really that simple, I want left to go right and right to go left on my mouse.

Thanks!

Have you tried setting the bool in the controls files? I suppose you will need to do handle the different vehicles individually or alternatively try to add your own ConceptYaw or ConceptCameraYaw to the shared section.

<instance guid="73D769A2-6EA2-44D5-BF81-541D500F27BC" type="GameSharedResources.MouseInputActionData">
		<field name="IsAnalog">true</field>
		<field name="NegateValue">false</field>
		<field name="Axis">IDA_Axis0X</field>
		<field name="NormalizeInput">false</field>
		<field name="ScaleValue">0.00030000001</field>
		<field name="Button">IDB_Button_Undefined</field>
		<field name="SimulateJoystickAxis">false</field>
		<field name="RememberExcessInput">false</field>
	</instance>

No, I do not need to reverse the X-axis for only handling land/air vehicles, I need it permanently, even to walk around on foot.

So what would be the easiest way to simply invert the X-axis altogether in the game. I use my mouse in an unconventional way.

I'm inexperienced in coding so specific directions would be great.

thanks again

Edited by nickenix

Tweak the controls files in My Documents\BFBC2\input. Just go through all four files and search for IDA_Axis0X. Then change the corresponding NegateValue to true.

edit: replaced 2X with 0X (2X is mouse wheel)

Edited by Frankelstner

Tweak the controls files in My Documents\BFBC2\input. Just go through all four files and search for IDA_Axis0X. Then change the corresponding NegateValue to true.

edit: replaced 2X with 0X (2X is mouse wheel)

So I went into all 4 files and found every instance of "ida_axis0x" and changed the negate value from false to true But nothing changed at all.

I opened these dbx files with wordpad, saved it. I even restarted Windows and went back into the file to make sure it wasn't overwritten which it wasn't.

Am I doing something wrong? Is wordpad not ok to edit these files?

You are right. Seems like the game just ignores these values. I'll try and figure out another way.

Would there be a way to Allow the Windows mouse functions to work ingame?

I run a little program in Windows that reverses the X and Y axis (Sakasa mouse inverter).

And this works fine right into the game menu, But as soon as I actually enter a game,

it reverts to its own mouse rules.

So if THAT could somehow be disabled then I imagine that could work.

Oh! I've tried some stuff with IDA_Axis0XPos and IDA_Axis0XNeg (I've found that somewhere deep in the game files; actually I only found Neg and deduced that Pos must exist too; it does). But in the end it would always move to the right no matter where I move.

There's a much simpler way: Put a minus to <field name="ScaleValue">0.00030000001</field>

I don't recommend using any tools to change your input. I have an autohotkey "macro" activated all the time which does not do anything until I press ctrl+space. This toggles the currently selected window to always appear on top. Guess what, I get kicked for that from some servers well in the game (i.e. bad admins can't stand being killed and find macros as an excuse even though the macro does not interact with the game at all). Actually modding the game on the other hand by adding 4x zoom iron sights does not get me kicked. Oh well. I've just had confirmation that the same mod works in bf3 multiplayer too.

This being said, I had autohotkey as a last option in mind. It's just not worth it when you can avoid it though.

Edited by Frankelstner

So I'm not sure i'm understanding you correctly, by putting a minus did you mean changing:

"<field name="ScaleValue">0.00030000001</field>" to " <field name="ScaleValue">-0.00030000001</field>" ?

That did not work.

So I'm not sure i'm understanding you correctly, by putting a minus did you mean changing:

"<field name="ScaleValue">0.00030000001</field>" to " <field name="ScaleValue">-0.00030000001</field>" ?

That did not work.

Strangely enough it does work for me though. I'll look into it a bit more tomorrow.