Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Frankelstner

Cascat-Based File Tweaker

Just a heads up guys, Punkbuster is now kicking players with MD5 hash check failed for 2 minutes. Looks like PB and DICE made a fix :(

It's currently a server admin tool and not something linked to PB/DICE. I think the tool needs a better way to 'unpatch' the game, because currently doing a restoring of cat file will still get you kicked.

The tweaker always crashes for me, with this error.

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.

at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer(Int32 numBytes)

at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadUInt32()

at dbxTweaker.CasCat..ctor(String catPath, Main handle)

at dbxTweaker.Main.openCat()

at dbxTweaker.Main.openModToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

bf3 tweaker

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///D:/Users/BR4DDERS/Downloads/bf3%20tweaker%20(1).exe

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I deleted the cas.cat, cas_50.cas and did a repair install, i also re-installed Net Framework 4.5.

33333333333333333333333b.jpg

The tweaker from the 27/09/2012 is the only one that works.

Have you any idea what could be causing it Frankelstner?

It's 33k. Do you have .NET 4.5?

yes but now it's a moot point - your download has disappeared from gamefront. 'file not found' error.

@clivewil I just downloaded the file from there (using the link in the first post). Starts up fine here on my Win7 64bit PC.

Look, I have barely made any tests before releasing the tool. Think back to bf2. Changing things on your client have no effect. The server handles projectile damage, materials, deviation, recoil, whether you are zoomed in or not. I had not thought of testing it because according to my idea of the game it would not have any effect. It would've been wasted time.

This all just shows how much of a console port BF3 is - and what a rubbish one. For a PC only game, you'd never see such client side logic madness.

Very depressing to see how low the code/technology quality of DICE has become.

As always, impressive work Frankelstner! :)

Edited by infinityloop

The tweaker from the 27/09/2012 is the only one that works.

Have you any idea what could be causing it Frankelstner?

It really sounds like your cat is still broken. Make sure to delete both cats and let Origin restore them.

Frankelstner you are a gift from the god`s them selves. Thank you for your hard work you truly are my hero. I have played around modding SP game and getting some very interesting results. Has anyone found out how to switch default character camera to spector`s view? It seems like some of the options are canceled out by others, for example there are default settings that engine uses unless level settings state otherwise which cancels out the default ones, am I right?

Edited by dainiuxxx

It really sounds like your cat is still broken. Make sure to delete both cats and let Origin restore them.

Cheers Frankelstner, i deleted the one from the "Battlefield 3/Data" folder as well and did a repair install, it lets me open it now.

Anyone else got kicked from PB ranked server for using this non tint cascat file? I want to use it again, hate that cold blue shit. Thanks to whoever replies!

Anyone else got kicked from PB ranked server for using this non tint cascat file? I want to use it again, hate that cold blue shit. Thanks to whoever replies!

Nope - worked the entire weekend. :huh:

Alright, just what is wrong with this game.

Firing at infantry with damage modifier BulletDamage vs Body/Head set to 0:

No damage for torso shots.

Headshots still work (there might be another material involved though).

=> When firing at infantry the material grid and damage values of the client are used.

Firing at vehicles (in MP tested with both manned and unmanned vehicles) with bullets using TankShell material instead of BulletDamage:

SP: Damage dealt.

MP: No damage.

=> When firing at vehicles the material grid and damage values of the server are used.

Firing at explosive containers in MP:

It takes three M16 bullets with 10x damage to blow up the object. At the same time it only takes two unmodified M1911 rounds to blow up another object of the same type.

=> Explosive containers behave like vehicles in this regard.

So the server doesn't even trust the client when it comes to explosive barrels, but it does not mind at all when the client deals any arbitrary amount of damage vs infantry.

Edited by Frankelstner

Dont know if you have seen this yet, but its on the front page of PBBans.com. B)

We know some only use it to remove the blue tint but it's also used to cheat. For that reason we have added a MD5Tool scan that kicks for it over the past days. This is not an action from EA, DICE or Even Balance (PunkBuster). They have nothing to do with the current MD5Tool kicks for various .cas files.

If you are being kicked for MD5Tool Mismatch and it lists a file named cas_50.cas or higher then you have to remove the file and should preform a repair install using Origin to repair any game files that may have been modified by the tweaker.

We are not banning for it so removing the files you are kicked for and repairing your game install should stop you from being kicked. Please note that just because a player is kicked for this doesn't mean they are cheating.

We are not kicking for BF3 Colour Tweaker released by Realmware.

Oct 8th, 2012

If you are being kicked for "MD5Tool Mismatch: Update\Patch\Data\cas_50.cas (len=2048)" and you have never used the BF3 Tweaker please note GGC-Stream sent a invalid MD5Tool scan to many BF3 servers that stream to them.

[10.08.2012 17:47:34] ->PBSV: PB UCON "ggc_85.214.107.154"@85.214.107.154:xxxx [pb_sv_md5tool a "" v "Update\Patch\Data\cas_50.cas" SZ157840 AT4096 LEN2048 E57AFBBACE8391DF703CC6BFFA66D27A]

[10.08.2012 17:47:34] ->PBSV: Added MD5Tool Entry: a "" v "Update\Patch\Data\cas_50.cas" SZ157840 AT4096 LEN2048 "E57AFBBACE8391DF703CC6BFFA66D27A"

That checks if the file created by the BF3 tweaker is on your computer and if it is not then you get kicked.

Finally if you are a server admin and are thinking about making your own MD5 Tool scans please note this warning:

WARNING: This is an advanced topic intended for experienced server admins who are comfortable with running PunkBuster-enabled game servers. Improper use of the MD5Tool Facility can result in inadvertently configuring PunkBuster to kick all players from the server.

http://www.evenbalan...age=md5tool.php Posted on Oct 8, 2012 - 07:46 PM by MaydaX16 comment(s) - View Comments

Edited by Coronaextra

That checks if the file created by the BF3 tweaker is on your computer and if it is not then you get kicked.

GGC? :blink:

Seems like pbbans cannot even remove that wrong check (also the next few comments are hilarious): http://www.pbbans.com/forums/battlefield-3-file-tweaker-and-md5tool-kicks-t164651.html/page__view__findpost__p__424332

Ah it's all fixed already: http://board.ggc-stream.com/showthread.php?14130-MD5-Mismatch-Issue!!&p=98585&viewfull=1#post98585

Edited by Frankelstner

I keep getting the error that says "Invalid cat file header". I just can't get this tweaker to work at all! I even did a repair install but it didn't work.

Edited by JorgunThunder

I keep getting the error that says "Invalid cat file header". I just can't get this tweaker to work at all! I even did a repair install but it didn't work.

Its not you or anything you did. The patch changed the file headers of the cas/cat and sb/toc files causing the file tweaker, scripts, realwares color tweaker and pretty much anything that access the files to no longer work.

Edited by elementofprgress

Its not you or anything you did. The patch changed the file headers of the cas/cat and sb/toc files causing the file tweaker, scripts, realwares color tweaker and pretty much anything that access the files to no longer work.

Damn, so it just so happens that at the time that I discover this tweaker there just happens to be a patch that screws up this tweaker...

Mighty Frankelstner might bring some update in the future, he just need some time to...um...refresh himself. :P

Edited by Alex

Mighty Frankelstner might bring some update in the future, he just need some time to...um...refresh himself. :P/>

Ehh, it won't be soon for sure. He's posted on MordorHQ that he's just too fed up with the game and doesn't want to bother with a fix for now. I don't blame him, I mean after coming up with this complicated software only for DICE to annoyingly fuck it up because they're assholes really does frustrate a person.

Ehh, it won't be soon for sure. He's posted on MordorHQ that he's just too fed up with the game and doesn't want to bother with a fix for now. I don't blame him, I mean after coming up with this complicated software only for DICE to annoyingly fuck it up because they're assholes really does frustrate a person.

Yea, I'd read his post, I respect Frankelstner and many programmers who devoted their spare time and efforts to analysis and experiments, they shall have rest at Christmas and New Year. :lol:

so in bf2 the server validates damage done to infantry

but in bf3 it's client based?

:lol: glad I never got that car wreck of a game

maybe next battlefield dice can get their stuff together?