Official BF Editor Forums
jimdx

Navmesh Needed On Objects?

Two questions: 1. Does a control point on an object need to have navmesh on the object for bots to get to the flag? 2. The CreateNavmsesh.exe didn't navmesh those areas ao I'm doing it in Lightwave 3D. BUT, the Preopt.obj is missing some walls, and in some cases even missing floors, so how do I know where to create polys that don't run bots into collision meash? Is there another object (like the Manafold.obj) that shows the collision mesh? Or is there something I can do before running CreateNavmesh.exe to ensure collision meshes are displayed in the Preopt.obj?

1. Does a control point on an object need to have navmesh on the object for bots to get to the flag?

no but the Order Positions do.

so how do I know where to create polys that don't run bots into collision mesh?

if your object's col3's are bad and are not creating usable objects automatically, you'll have to do that bit by hand. perhaps you can import the actual meshes you need, and use them as a guide.

templeMesh.jpg

Two questions: 1. Does a control point on an object need to have navmesh on the object for bots to get to the flag? 2. The CreateNavmsesh.exe didn't navmesh those areas ao I'm doing it in Lightwave 3D. BUT, the Preopt.obj is missing some walls, and in some cases even missing floors, so how do I know where to create polys that don't run bots into collision meash? Is there another object (like the Manafold.obj) that shows the collision mesh? Or is there something I can do before running CreateNavmesh.exe to ensure collision meshes are displayed in the Preopt.obj?

What objects are not navmeshing? Project Reality has created AImeshes for a lot of BF2 objects.

Collison meshes don't get figured into navmeshing. For objects that don't have a working Aimesh/col3, the navmesh generator creates a bounding box around the entire object, which is what you see in the preopt.

Some objects are too complicated to make working AImeshes and it's easier to use a collison mesh of the object to strip down to a navmesh that shows the path the bots will take in the object and weld that onto the main mesh. You may need to place some unique objects to use a reference points when you generate the navmesh so you will know where to weld the collsion mesh. Ask at www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com forums if you need a specific collsion mesh converted into a format that you can use with lightwave.