Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bibi5000

Converting BF42 skies to BF2

very cool :D ...a huge thanx to ya..i was expecting to spend some cash on a program that does that..but no need now..he he heeeee

ok..i follow the steps but in the hdr shop i open my sky box cross image but all i get is a black image..any idea's what the problem is.

nevermind..its working now..i had to save the sky box cross in jpeg format.....lol

thanx again...bloody awesome :D

.NOW HOW DO I ADD THE CUSTOM SKY TO THE EDITOR?????????????

it tried a bunch of stuff but it cant load it into the editor and doing it manually through the con files crashes the game...please help!..thanx

i am suprised there isnt a little more feedback on this one..its a really cool tut if ya have the tools.

and if any one can PLEASE help...NOW HOW DO I ADD THE CUSTOM SKY TEXTURE TO THE EDITOR?????????????

btw i found why i couldnt get the custom sky into game,i put the sky texture into the wrong folder....lmao...i am such a dumbass sometimes...lmao

put custom sky textures in:Common/Textures/Sky

...its that easy...lol

Do you put it in your normal BF2 folder, or do you have to create a mod for it? I know that BF2 didn't allow me to connect because of changed content. So is it possible to add it to a map for normal BF2?

You have to create a mod for it to as its always better to fool around in a mod then in the real game :D

BTW bibi tnx for the tutorial and stuff , it works almost perfect 8)

Some dark lines here and there but i guess it can be fixed someway.

i dont think there is a way to add custom sky textures to bf2 without them being in a mod,but maybe a path name just needs to be added the a maps sky .con and the custom sky texture being in a maps folder,i havent had time to experiment with it yet

oh yeah,the balck lines that are produced after using the hdrshop can easily be fixed,in photoshop just use the stamp tool and alt /click right beside the line and paint over the line...easy

ill see if i can find a link to a script for terragen that makes 5 pics of a skybox(the script is missing 1 sky render,but its not needed,as its the ground texture,but the missing render can be used in an envmap texture),then all ya have to do is set it up as a vertical cross and hdrshop it.

In order to get your sky working in BF42 you needed your sky sliced into 6 pieces. Just open texture.rfa or your custom map. Inside you'll find something like Sky_mapname_1.dds to Sky_mapname_6.dds. Get theses out and drop them into a directory of your liking and cubemap them, open your cubemap in HDRShop, filter it and save it, crop it and you're done.

And now something completely different: Today I ran into the page of Johannes Schlörb who has done some very beautiful skies which can be used in BF2. If you like them, buy them at Turbosquid and send him a mail that you like them to motivate him to do more :wink: . They are 5 bucks each, which everyone should be able to afford.