Official BF Editor Forums
BEEX

creating a soldier model_3dsmax7

learn how to make an entire soldier model for bf2 using 3dsmax7,photoshop7 and finally -bf2 editor-

part 1:how to make the soldier body.

boxmodeltutp19xh.th.jpg

part 2:how to add details like knee pads,elbow pads,bullet proof vest and shirt collar to the soldier body mesh.

here's how add a simple collar to the shirt:below

boxmodeltutpt24xx.th.jpg

here's how add simple knee and elbow pads,with some pieces like knee pads and elbow pads its best to make them simple and let the texture do most of the work..btw i messed up a step but it wont affect the process.

boxmodeltutp2bb3oy.th.jpg

part 3:how to make a pair of shoes.

boxmodeldaboots7bb.th.jpg

part 4:how to make a pair of hands.

THE HANDS part1

boxmodeldahandsp19dz.th.jpg

THE HANDS part2

boxmodeldahandsp25gx.th.jpg

part 5:how to make a head and face.

heres some template pics of one of the bf2 soldiers heads.

i will try to get a link for ya to dl the head model,makes it much easier to model with a 3d template,if you have pd's importer tool use that,and import one of the us soldiers.

bf2headtemplatefront4zo.th.jpg

bf2headtemplateside0pm.th.jpg

part 6:how to create textures for a soldier using photoshop7.

heres a sample texture you can use for the time being,i will get around to showing you all how to create the texture at some stage

urbantex29mf.th.jpg

part 7:uv mapping for soldiers.

texturing the pants

texturedpantstut9hc.th.jpg

texturing the torso

texturetorsotut6vs.th.jpg

texturing the arms

texturearmstut4yv.th.jpg

texturing the hands

texturehandstut4sf.th.jpg

texturing the boots

texturebootstut0sl.th.jpg

part 8:skinning the soldier mesh to bones.

part 9:exporting the soldiers into bf2

part 10.tweaking and miscelanious

enjoy!!!!!!!! :D

PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH THE RELEASE OF MY TUTORIALS,AS I STILL HAVE TO LEARN A LITLE MORE ABOUT SOME OF THE FINAL STEPS.

heres a sample of a complete soldier

gowswatlight13ty.th.jpg

i quickly threw this together,a basic explaination of kits for ya all,i will go futher into it some other time

uskitexplained1uu.th.jpg

aw shucks :oops: ...lol..thanx annerjb...ill will get around to the skin modifier tutorial as soon as possible,i am having a few problems with it at the moment,for some stupid reason it is picking up other verts from other bones :? ...so keep ya eye out in the next few days

thanx flying corpse(btw.cool name)....glad to help :D

and annerjb,the first link didnt work but the second 1 did,ill be showing you a slightly different method of skinning than that second link,that tutorial uses envelopes,ill be showing you how to skin with verts and wight table,one of the reasons why is that skinning for games has a limit of how many verts can be affected by how many bones..ill get the other tuts done boots,hands,head and uvmapping,i think its better for everyone that way,but ill tty on msn and give ya a head start.

sorry peeps ive been a bit busy doin some other stuff ill get 2 more tuts for ya in the next 2 days....the other tuts already posted have some simple techniques,so experiment with those techniques see what ya come up with... :D

sorry for the wait for the others tuts....i will release the "how make a pair of shoes and hands" later on today....check my first post for the new tuts.

sorry for the wait for the others tuts....i will release the "how make a pair of shoes and hands" later on today....check my first post for the new tuts.

YAY, I hope u get them up soon(I know it says within the day but you never know), just back from a motherboard crash so I hope to get some cool stuff made with my ├╝ber PC :P

I will give credit where credit is due, however, this tut does not address the subject of bone rigging etc.

Although you have made the BASE soldier model, no offence...its useless without bones...unless ofcourse you want to see your soldier sliding across the battlefield looking like he was just crucified...LMAO

For those who have the resources to aquire them, I would suggest a few apps to expedite the process of making of soldiers etc.

POSER ( for making the soldier, complete with bone rigging ), you can even use this to make your soldiers anatomically correct....you know..for those nights you get a pass and hit the towns !

FaceGen Modeller ( for taking pictures of your ugly mugs and making a soldier with your face on it...perish the thought )

And a program called MOTIONBUILDER, it used to be made by Kaydara...but has since been aquired by Alias ( the makers of Maya ). This will allow you to animate your soldier and give him MOMEMENT such as walking, running...picking his nose etc. In essence UNCRUCIFYING him !

Anyway, not trying to discredit you brother or take away from the joy of building a mdel from scratch rather than simply adjusting premade models etc, just throwing out this info for the masses.....enjoy !

well mate if you read the my first post you would understand that the other tuts for modeling,texturing and skinning are in the process of being made,the tuts are based on producing a soldier using 3dsmax not all the other programs you talked about,and rigging a the bones for a soldier is already done,and what is the bigest bummer about bf2 is the engine wont accept custom bones for soldier rigging,so using anything from poser is a no go,plus its skinning the mesh that is the hardest part of the tutorials (by skinning i mean rigging bones to mesh,not texturing),and as for the model being anotomicaly correct i have an import tool,so i can import bf2 models into 3dsmax7 so i based my model around what dice have already made..."and please nobody ask for the import tools as i dont want to be sued by ea and dice",thankyou.

sorry for the delay for the other tuts,very busy

BEEX I AM LOSING PATIENCE!!!!

Jk, m8 :P

We all really appreciate your efforts on the tutorial field.

Not many are willing to submit their hard won algorithms to the careless public.

Thanks fella!

:D

:D "no worries mate,glad to help"..one of the main reasons i decided to post tutorials about creating soldier models is that after all the mods that came out of bf1942 and bfv very few of those mods had custom soldier models,most were just re-textured shipped soldiers.

BTW.THERE'S A FEW NEW TUTS NOW IN MY FIRST POST,MODELING BOOTS AND HANDS

np annerjb :D

if anyone has any problems,dont hesitate to ask for any help,cuz i know i was pretty brief with some of the steps.

btw it would be nice to see your models after doing these tuts...post some screenies.

well gmax drastically destroys this...

take a look 1 with tessalation (closest to hsds or we)

and one without

modle12df.th.png[/url][/img]

modle25fx.th.png[/url][/img]

*note* one has body armor while hte other doesnt and it is a differnet mesh