Official BF Editor Forums

creating a soldier model_3dsmax7

BEEX

Awsome, thank you,

I started fresh again and got the model to export, it created a con file and meshes etc. But when I try to drag it into the object editor it crashes

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6115/help2oo1.jpg

are those dx9 warnings normal? are the ske warnings normal. My heiracrhy looks like this

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6760/help1fc5.jpg

Im exporting as "Sheela_soldier" do I need to have "Sheela_light_soldier" or something..

Once again thanks for taking the time to help me.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheela__Soldier (note the double underscore) should be fine for now. But there are several problems. First your materialsetup seems to be wrong it can't find the textures for the girl. make sure you placed them in a location inside the /objects folder and assigned the path in the material manager. (Did you run the basic setup for the 3DS tools ?)

Second, the skeleton is missing. From what i see its in the hierarchy, but the code doesn't find it. You need to copy some code from an existing soldier and rename it for sheela. Place the tweak file in your sheela folder.

okay I got the textures fixed (forgot I had moved the files). But still getting this missing skeleton error.

I copied the existing tweak file from us_light soldier, and renamed it sheela__soldier, is that what you meant by copying existing code form another soldier to fix the skeleton?..

do these files look right to you?

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9342/sheela2ae0.jpg

a million thanks for all your help

General note first : I suggest you configure your Operating System to show file extensions, its makes life much easier.

The textures folder path itself looks good, but there are textures with a '_d' suffix ? For skinnedmeshes it could lead to trouble (sometimes the engine is bitchy about these suffixes) . Try a '_b' suffix instead.

The next problem is the naming of the root. Obviously you have named the root like the Sheela meshes with double underscore. For the root it might confuse the exporter. Rename the root to something like 'root_skinnedMesh_Sheela_soldier' with a single underscore, and adjust the tweak accordingly. (Edit inside the tweak, too)

You have to create a skeleton root object to hook the skeleton into the mesh like seen in this thread :

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5013

The 'ske:root_skeleton' is parented to the lod0 , while the 'ske::root_skeleton_1p_setup' is parented to the geom0. Give that a try ...

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Kits (in the meaning of the stuff hanging on the soldier , like bags , bagpacks, holsters and clothes ) live in a different mesh and are exported seperately.

There are provisions in the DICE skeleton for attaching kits to it, like the 'mesh9' to 'mesh12' which are animated for kit stuff flapping around when the soldier runs.

• 4 weeks later...

If someone could explain in nice clean example of what to do after you texture for export like the bones ,meshes, dummies, lods and geoms .How Do I setup the soldier for export? Is there a 3ds max wizard for soldiers? Or another Toolkit for max?

I tried reading all of this post but its fucked on all the directions and changes of subject.

Prepare a scene with your 1P model (arms) and your 3P model and bring them into the hierachy as shown in the hierachy help thread :

Import both 1P and 3P skeletons from BF2 (we're using BF2's skeletons for now) with the extended Doomlab tools and bring it into the hierachy. Add skin modifiers to your soldier meshes and weight all vertices to the resp. skeleton-bones. Obey the rules, no more than 26 bones per mesh and a max. of 2 bones may affect one vertex.

I assume you have already exported a few bundledmeshes to BF2 so you're accustomed to the Material setup. Use 'tangent' techniques for skinnedmeshes.

There is no wizard for soldiers.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

• 2 months later...
Prepare a scene with your 1P model (arms) and your 3P model and bring them into the hierachy as shown in the hierachy help thread :

Import both 1P and 3P skeletons from BF2 (we're using BF2's skeletons for now) with the extended Doomlab tools and bring it into the hierachy. Add skin modifiers to your soldier meshes and weight all vertices to the resp. skeleton-bones. Obey the rules, no more than 26 bones per mesh and a max. of 2 bones may affect one vertex.

I assume you have already exported a few bundledmeshes to BF2 so you're accustomed to the Material setup. Use 'tangent' techniques for skinnedmeshes.

There is no wizard for soldiers.

First Post ever! Hi everyone. I am new to this but have been reading patiently through the tutorials on this very extensive forum.

for my personal understanding, this is the best explanation i have read so far in the last two weeks of going over the forum about setting up characters for export. Thank you!I am working on a model that is almost finished. i have some questions that i will make as concise and as descriptive as i can. No broad questions. If i do ask a broad question unknowingly, please ignore it.

3d-bf2142.jpg

Ok i have edited my very first post after going through the car tutorial. So now cleared a great deal on certain things. So new question is

1. What are the prominent differences between the car setup for export (other than the wizard not available for the character export) and in a characters setup?

Thanks

Edited by Demion

heres a good thread that has some clear info about character exporting.

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10443

the main 3 differences is ....

1.the obvious use of rigging it with a skin modifier..lol

2.you need to use different materials/shaders for skinned meshes ,eg..tangent instead of colormapgloss.

3.the other is you dont need to create any collision meshes,collisions for soldiers are coded as a radius from each bone.

note the checklist by bucympa,i changed 6 and 7 around as you need the hierachy setup first.

1. Build or import a soldier mesh,1p arms and hands, and full 3p body.

2. Import a BF2 skeleton, both 1P & 3P

3. Scale, rotate and move your mesh to match it with the skeleton

4. Reset the mesh. Make sure, that all pivots meet at 0/0/0, and the mesh isn't rotated.

5. Assign material to mesh (BF2 BundledMesh)

6. Rename meshes, create dummys and link them by the hierarchy

7. Start skinning. If this is needed, split the mesh to more parts (Max. 26 bones to one mesh)

8. Using the BF2 Exporter, export the model.

Edited by BEEX

Indeed, CB, it is dirty :D The dirtiest thing about it is that you mustn't leave out a single vertex :blink: Each and every vertex needs to be weigthed to a bone else the export ( sceneparse.exe ) crashes.

In case you (or anyone else) has this problem , let me remind you that i wrote a small modification to the export script which announces the offending vertex in the Max script listener, enabling you to fix it by using the weight table. The script can be found here:

http://berlin.schoeldgen.de/bf1942/bf2/RMesh.zip

and should replace the 'RMesh.ms' maxscript in <3DSMax>/scripts/bf2/RMesh.ms .

This script should also work with the script extensions by Doomlab or PoE.

• 1 year later...