Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Icemagician296

How to export a tracked vehicle from 3ds max 7

Ok does anyone got any info on how tanks tracks and wheels must be done to properly export from 3ds max i dont mean the hierarchy i mean the tracks how do you set them up if anyone knows please give us a hand thanks

We're not quite sure about all that yet. The UV's are still giving us a little trouble. I'll be writing up a tutorial as soon as we figure it out, but in the meantime I would suggest doing a few wheeled vehicles first to get the hang of things.

I followed both Rexman's video tut and the written description in the 'oldhelpdocuments' by Rexman. Found the center, apply 'rotate' to the sides of the drivewheel , 'translate' the tire surface and 'setup treads' on the track mesh. (All parts have their UVMap setup)

Then i applied an 'AnimatedUV_tank_tracks' material to the tracks. Now it exports the model, but gives the error

"a animated polygon can't have less than 1 UVmatrix" , followed by vertex color numbers. This error pops up exactly 20 times.

Of course, ingame i have an error , too, like 'hasanimateduv blah blah"

What do i do wrong/miss? It must be an error between my ears, but which one ? :P

And do i need to setup bones on my tracks ?

Hence my post stating "We're not quite sure about all that yet."

Still working on it. Treads are even harder to do than they were in BF42 and we're still trying to get clarification on the process.

I have 1 moving track :? The right track rotates fine but the left one will not move im setting the correct values in the tools but nothing happen. If i assighn the values on both tracks for right track both rotates. But while stearing 1 track has the wrong speed...

If anyone know a solution i will be thankfull for that....

p.s wheels are working fine :-)

Did you apply the vertex colors by hand or did you use the tank/treads wizard ? And what did you do exactly? when i follow rexmans video tutorial, i always end up with both sides of my drive wheel red and the wheel surface blueish, not what i see in the tut, where the right side is red , the other green and the surface this magenta/blue/cyan mixture like it should be.

Its easy create a cylinder. Unwrap it like you want.

create a editable Mesh. Not a editable Poly you need the center Vertex. Start the wizard.

select all outside Faces..

hit guess...

go to edit vertex...

select the Vertex from the guess...

hit center...

go to edit faces...

reselect your front faces...

hit rotate...

deselect all...

go to the other side of your wheel..

select all Faces..

hit rotate....

deselect all...

select the rest of the polys..

hit translate....

thats all and it should work

P.S. if your work has not the result you wish...you can simply reset the vertex color channel by applying the UVW Mapping clear with channel 0....

after that you can start again.....

be carefull you cant change a wrong asighn vertex color channel you have to reset them befor you restart....

if your work has not the result you wish...you can simply reset the vertex color channel by applying the UVW Mapping clear with channel 0....

for tracks it works the same....

first reset the vertex color channel of your Hull....

select all your faces of the hull

go to edit Element...

deselect your tracks....

hide the Main hull.....

go to edit vertex....

select your tracks vertexes...

open the wizard....

hit setup treats....

unhide your bodymesh.....

thats all...

now your right track will work fine and your left track do nothing.....

i have a proper working Trackset exept the left track....

the last step is the applying of the bones...but that should be the last Step at all in 3ds because you cant colaps the skin Modifier in your Modifier stack. If you colaps the Stack your bone setup get lost....

maybe Rexman can verify this....or did i make a mistake?

I have ask about the vertex color values in this treat:

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=797

I have all my track vechiles working properly. The only thing left is the uv animation transition stuff to figure out which is all code. You guys are just missing steps or something. the tools work fine.

D_FAST]I have all my track vechiles working properly. The only thing left is the uv animation transition stuff to figure out which is all code. You guys are just missing steps or something. the tools work fine.

hmm i dont know what i have missed.....is it that pivot stuff? i dont realy know mutch about this....can you explain what you have done with the treats?

D_Fast, from reading all your posts you always seem to be ahead of everyone. I can see POE being one of the better mods for BF2. That is, if there will be POE for BF2. Congrants on being so good at what you do.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic. Great work.

I really would like to help you guys having trouble. I havnt much time between family and PoE.

I had sometime this morning, So I looked over your steps seems that [bG2]Koricus Steps should work, just a different process. The best I can do atm is give ya my steps.

Open bf2 tank/wheel utilitiy

Select your 3p body PCO mesh

Hit display vertex color. (should turn all black)

Goto Element selection pick your left track

Return to Face mode

Hit setup track (Left track turns red)

Return to Element selection

Select your right track

Return to Face mode

Hit setup track (right track turns red/Left track returns to black)

Return to Element selection

Select your Both Right and Left tracks

Return to Face mode

Hit setup track (both tracks turn are red)

Track UV matrix should now be completed.

As I have said before the UV translation code I have yet to master.

I have a basic understanding of what the code is doing but cant seem to get it right.

soo i tested D_fast way...and my left Track does what..right...nothing.....

my frustration Level is increasing very fast about that....

I have reseted everything im my scene.. i have remodeled some of the stuff.....

i dont know what other things i should do....