Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Catbox

How can i add a new skin to the billboards

I want to change the picture on the billboards?

if this has been addressed before i couldnt find it...

thanks in advance for any help...

I have photochop cs2,bryce5 and 3dmax6 to work with...

Still learning 3DMax though...

or can it be done in Gmax also? CB

I cant find the billboard textures? What directory are they located?

thanks again for any replies... CB

www.theunitedforce.com

I wanna know how to do this too. I don't know if anyone else has tried but I want replace the texture/skin/whatever for the mec tunnel bunker objects. Now it just says "in progress" all over them. :x Please help, this is driving me nuts!

I don't know where the specific textures are, but keep in mind that you can't just change some of the textures in retail BF2 and then have it work because you can't package new/altered material back into the original game. (not without a lot of work anyway...)

you will have to create a new mod, copy over what you want to change, make your changes, and then save and package your new mod.

The billboards are just objects like everything else, so their textures shouldn't be too hard to find. Keep in mind that there are a few "Common" folders that you may look into. Dice didn't necessarily keep all the textures in the same folders as the objects, but they are all there somewhere. I would suggest unzipping the Objects_client.zip somewhere and then using an image browser like ACDSee to scan through the whole thing.

You mean like this?

- http://web10.server2.ls-server.de/wolfi/bf...oard_ingame.jpg

- http://web10.server2.ls-server.de/wolfi/bf...ks/BF2lindz.jpg :P

The dds-file for this is located here:

Objectsstaticobjects_middle-eastcitytexturesmecity_01_c.dds

The dds-file for the chinese billboards is here:

Objectsstaticobjectscommontexturescommon_ch_billb_c.dds

i wanted to add to this cause mine work ok,

Ill make this as quick and simple as i can.

1.Find the chinese billboard dds file.

located in the directory of battlefield. (or search for the particular file).

Objectsstaticobjectscommontexturescommon_ch_billb_c.dds

Copy that to the root directory of drive c (or whatever)

I made two folders (one named input, the other output.)

2. I used a program called " DDS converter 2" (do a google search)

transform that file to a JPG. and use a image editor to change it.

3. copy the transformed image back to the root directory.

then use the dds file converter to change it back to a dds file.

(you can skip this if you have an editor capable of working with DDS files)

4. copy that file to the folder of your "MOD". It has to be a mod. Not just a map made under the BF2 default.

then it should work ok. If you need more help then ask precise questions and ill see if i can be more accurate.

Heres proof it works...

screen0020mw.jpg

i hope that this was some help :wink:

Is there a way to have your custom textured billboard to show up in the editor? it shows up in game. But when I see it in the editor it shows the original texture.

That just sounds wrong.

Did you make the changes to a map within a mod? It has to be done with a mod.

where did you put the altered files ? whats the directory tree where you put the new file(s) ?

LBrown]I don't know where the specific textures are, but keep in mind that you can't just change some of the textures in retail BF2 and then have it work because you can't package new/altered material back into the original game. (not without a lot of work anyway...)

you will have to create a new mod, copy over what you want to change, make your changes, and then save and package your new mod.

The billboards are just objects like everything else, so their textures shouldn't be too hard to find. Keep in mind that there are a few "Common" folders that you may look into. Dice didn't necessarily keep all the textures in the same folders as the objects, but they are all there somewhere. I would suggest unzipping the Objects_client.zip somewhere and then using an image browser like ACDSee to scan through the whole thing.

here we go again with the incorrect info? You dont have to create a new mod, you can use WINRAR and extract and pack the dds files from BF2 the files are in "Battlefield 2/mods/Objects_client.zip"

However you might want to create a backup of that file before modifying. :P

Is there a way to have your custom textured billboard to show up in the editor? it shows up in game. But when I see it in the editor it shows the original texture.

That just sounds wrong.

Did you make the changes to a map within a mod? It has to be done with a mod.

where did you put the altered files ? whats the directory tree where you put the new file(s) ?

Yes within a Mod.

I put them in a objects_texture.zip and then I open the ServerArchives.con with notepad and add this line:

fileManager.mountArchive Objects_textures.zip Objects.

I guess I would have to replace the original billboard with custom one in the objects_server.zip for it to show in editor?

here we go again with the incorrect info? You dont have to create a new mod, you can use WINRAR and extract and pack the dds files from BF2 the files are in "Battlefield 2/mods/Objects_client.zip"

However you might want to create a backup of that file before modifying. :P

Why would you use the originals? Not only would it screw up your vanilla game leaving you unable to play ANY servers, you'd also have to delete all your work in your stock bf2 before you can play online (and replace the originals - leading to errors and kicks if you don't replace everything correctly) It's always better working from a new "mod" even if you only change a few files.
I put them in a objects_texture.zip and then I open the ServerArchives.con with notepad and add this line:

fileManager.mountArchive Objects_textures.zip Objects.

You should put that link in the ClientArchives.con too, that might solve your problem.

You may also need to call your objects archive Objects_server.zip but I don't think that would be necessary. (Unless this is something else the editor is being bitchy about :D)

EDIT: I hope that . at the end of the fileManager line is punctuation for this post and not included in the ServerArchives.con :P

Simply by examing the original one :P . You should extract the original texture to your mod , residing in the same place where it was in the bf2 mod (path-wise). When you now alter the texture in your mod, you are ready to overlay the new texture over the old one.

Simply by examing the original one :P . You should extract the original texture to your mod , residing in the same place where it was in the bf2 mod (path-wise). When you now alter the texture in your mod, you are ready to overlay the new texture over the old one.

ok but not a different mod... im making a map for bf2 and a friend is helping by making me custom skins for a few billboards... i have no clue about that sort of thing and all he needs to know is the dimensions for the billboards... help plz

Open the billboard texture in photoshop... common_ch_billb_c.dds

its in the objects_client.zip... and if you do change the one in your BF2 objects_client.zip you will get a modified content error...

mschoeldgen... told you to do the same thing im saying in the post above... Maybe tell your friend to come read this post and go over it slowly?

common_ch_billb_c.jpg

Edited by [TUF]Catbox

use this custom textures tutorial, by Croupier. that will enable you to use your custom texture in bf2 levels, without having to make a mod ;)

Could someone, do a small tut. On how to put it with the map.... It must be possible, somehow.

Its easy to make it work, with bf2editor. But with the map only... Thats the hard part.

alnida3.png

This was done, by putting it in the objects_client.zip file.

Edited by [21CW]PiCkUp