Official BF Editor Forums
appo

Loading Screen (name, description, music, background)

To change the map description go to info folder found at

EA GAMESBattlefield 2modsbf2Levelsmy_levelInfo

and open "my_level.DESC" using notepad.

To edit the loading screen description edit the text (shown in bold) within

"<briefing locid="LOADINGSCREEN_MAPDESCRIPTION_gn">"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can edit the name of the map by changing the text in the field

"<name> my_level </name>" xxxxxxxxxx ">"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To edit the loadup screen music, add the path of your music file within

"<music> common/sound/menu/music/load_MEC_music.ogg </music>"

and make sure your file is is .ogg format, which can be converted using various mp3 convert tools available as freeware/trial software. Link for trial software below

http://www.blazemp.com/

For adding background image, add a screenshot of ingame footage to the same folder (info) and rename to

"loadmap" and save as a size 512x512 PNG image

To add the overhead view of the map, use your minimap image

(how to create minimap: http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showt...ghlight=minimap Post by [LoF]Phoenix)

and rename to "gpm_cq_16_menuMap" and save as 512x512 PNG image. Replace the "16" with 32 or 64 for each game mode.

***To make my map I used a screenshot of map when playing ingame at the select spawnpoint screen, selected around the border of the map and edited that from there using above names and format. You will not need to add the Combat Zone as this will be added automatically***

You can get the nVidia plugins, used for editing .dss files in photoshop at

http://www.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds...ds_plugins.html

this plugin from Nvidia is a plugin that has nothing to do with the graphics card right?!?!

like I could still install that plugin even though I have an ATI card?

When you have converted your music file from mp3 to ogg where do you put the ogg file?

Navigate to "C:Program FilesEA GAMESBattlefield 2modsbf2" then open up the ZIP archive "Common_client" then go to "SoundMenumusic" and add your .ogg file to the ZIP archive at this location

this plugin from Nvidia is a plugin that has nothing to do with the graphics card right?!?!  

like I could still install that plugin even though I have an ATI card?

Yes, there should be no problem using the photoshop plugin with ATI, the listed system requirements mentions that you need directX 9 or above but nothing else. It also installed ok onto my other system which has an ATI GPU. Install it and try opening a .dss file to see if everything is ok. Hope this helped

Wow thxs! I read the other tut. on this and didnt understand. thx!

Thanks for the feedback, I just hoped that by setting some things out systematically, it would help others who were unsure on some of the later tweaks needed to polish the finished map before release! :D

Hi, I'm currently trying to change the BF2 music. In BF1942, all that you had to do was replace the 42 BIK files with your own music files in BIK format and the same titles.

When I tried to do that with BF2, it didn't work. I named my music file menu_music (after the name of the menu music of BF2), converted it to OGG format, and packed it in the common_client RFA in the right place. When I loaded up the game, no music played in the menu - not the standard music, and not my music. I haven't tried it with the loading music and win/lose music, but I was pretty sure I'd get the same results.

Do you know what I'm doing wrong? Also, if I were to be successful in changing music, would this affect online play? In BF1942, Punkbuster did not care one bit if you changed music or even sounds. However, is that still the same in BF2?

Thanks for your help!!!

converted it to OGG format

If I were to guess, I would say you converted it wrong. Maybe with incorrect bitrates?

Also, if I were to be successful in changing music, would this affect online play?

If it was a packed mod distributed to both client and server, no problem. If you are doing server-side, I'm unsure if it is possible. Hopefully someone can help you further.

If I were to guess, I would say you converted it wrong. Maybe with incorrect bitrates?

Probably. What is the correct bitrate?

If it was a packed mod distributed to both client and server, no problem. If you are doing server-side, I'm unsure if it is possible. Hopefully someone can help you further.

What I mean is that I want to change the music for myself, then play online as normal. I think that's client side, right? Does that mean I won't be able to join servers because the files don't match or something?

Probably.  What is the correct bitrate?

You shouldn't need to replace any files found in SoundMenumusic which is loacted in the "Common_client" ZIP archive. As long as you change the path in the DESC file to the exact name of the file then everything should work fine. I have just tested it again on my map using any mp3 file (Slide Show in this case).

I converted it to .ogg (using Blaze Media Pro- see link above) using frequency at 44100kHz and bitrate of 128. I then directly placed the .ogg file into "Common_client.zipSoundMenumusic" leaving the name as "Slide Show"

I then opened my DESC file using notepad (found C:Program FilesEA GAMESBattlefield 2modsbf2LevelsXXX XXX XXXInfo) and changed "<music> common/sound/menu/music/load_MEC_music.ogg </music>" to "<music> common/sound/menu/music/Slide Show.ogg </music>", saving and then closing the file

Once BF2 is loaded and my level selected, I hear Slide Show after clicking Join. Hope this helped.

If your unsure of anything then post on forum again or send me PM and I'll reply and try and help then post on forum so anyone else can see.

What I mean is that I want to change the music for myself, then play online as normal.  I think that's client side, right?  Does that mean I won't be able to join servers because the files don't match or something?

By doing the method above no other file is replaced that may be required by other maps, as the required .ogg file has a different name with the path altered to play this file in only your map's DESC file. So I cant see a problem doing this but best way is to try it and find out then change back if you get problems. Hope this helped.

Tried your method. Converted CHI_05.mp3 to CHI_05.ogg (44100 khz, bitrate 128), put CHI_05.ogg in the same folder as all the other music.

Opened up Daqing Oilfields DESC, changed the Load_CH_music.ogg to CHI_05.ogg

Loaded up the game, started Daqing Oilfields in singleplayer, no music played. What's going on?

I'm doing this on the out-of-the-box BF2 game, not the patched version. I haven't patched to 1.03 yet.

Maybe its because your doing it for singleplayer and it only works in multiplayer? Im not sure as im new to this myself!

Try making a backup of the original load music, and name your new music exactly the same as the old one.  It might work better.

That's what I tried initially, with no results.

DAMN IT DICE, you just had to make the music hard to change, didn't you?

Navigate to "C:Program FilesEA GAMESBattlefield 2modsbf2" then open up the ZIP archive "Common_client" then go to "SoundMenumusic" and add your .ogg file to the ZIP archive at this location

Ok got it to work this way, no need to play with bf2 mod package.

In your map .desc file change the music path to levelsthe name of your levelmusicname of your song.ogg then create a folder called music, put your ogg file in it, and place the folder in the client.zip it works online, single player and in create local.

This allows you to put different music in every map you create, without the possibility of pb or file difference issues.

Argh, I can't get loading music or ambient sounds to work.

<music> Levels/Brands_Hatch/music/loading.ogg </music>

rem [SoundObjectTemplate: Pitambie]
ObjectTemplate.create Sound Pitambie
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound Pitambie
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "Allen"
ObjectTemplate.lowSamples 2147483647
ObjectTemplate.mediumSamples 2147483647
ObjectTemplate.soundFilename "Levels/Brands_Hatch/Sounds/pitambie.ogg"
ObjectTemplate.loopCount 0
ObjectTemplate.is3dSound 0
ObjectTemplate.stopType 0
ObjectTemplate.volume 0.55
ObjectTemplate.pitch 1
ObjectTemplate.pan 0.5
ObjectTemplate.reverbLevel 0
ObjectTemplate.position 607.433/15.863/-738.436
ObjectTemplate.minDistance 13

Sound.addTrigger Pitambie

Do I have to add a trigger for this to work?

Edited by Shade

No, for a global ambient sound no trigger is needed except the one you have already.

But if this sound is to be played globally , you should change the

ObjectTemplate.minDistance 13

to something big, like 'ObjectTemplate.minDistance 30000'

You might also have a naming problem (of the sound template) . Open the 'AmbientObjects.con' of a vanilla map (like Gulf_of_Oman) and copy the appropriate lines from it into your own file, only changing the path to your sound.

They aren't global, I just want them to play continually in a small area.

The sizes tie in to the areas I want to hear them on my map.

Do you mean these lines here?

rem [soundObjectTemplate: Pitambie]

ObjectTemplate.create Sound Pitambie

ObjectTemplate.activeSafe Sound Pitambie

I thought about using birds or something then just changing the path, it might be worth a try.

Cheers

Shade

Yeah, i mean the naming of the Template. Its a strange thing with the sound templates. In the objects they are created 'out of the nothing' and they are sensitive to renaming. The Ambient sounds are always named something like 'S_Ambient_NNN' .

Idk if its necessary, but i had good experiences when cloning the code from a working map and only changing it to my needs. Maybe you should try that ,too.

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

i notice in some maps there are many many png's.

i.e. fu she pass...

<map gsid="103">

<name> FuShe Pass </name>

<briefing locid="LOADINGSCREEN_MAPDESCRIPTION_glowingpass">map description for modders maps not localized (english only)</briefing>

<music> common/sound/menu/music/load_CH_music.ogg </music>

<modes>

<mode type="gpm_cq">

<maptype ai="1" players="16" type="doubleassault" locid="GAMEMODE_DESCRIPTION_doubleassault">Unlocalized test for this mode on this map</maptype>

<maptype players="32" type="headon" locid="GAMEMODE_DESCRIPTION_headon">Unlocalized test for this mode on this map</maptype>

<maptype players="64" type="headon" locid="GAMEMODE_DESCRIPTION_headon">Unlocalized test for this mode on this map</maptype>

</mode>

<mode type="gpm_coop">

<maptype ai="1" players="16" type="doubleassault" locid="GAMEMODE_DESCRIPTION_COOP_doubleassault">Unlocalized test for this mode on this map</maptype>

</mode>

</modes>

</map>

there are several images...the sp and gpm's i assume pull as needed based on the code but what are the favoriteMap.png and loadmap.png?

lastly...is there a way to rotate images so a random one is used each time?