Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
david2999

Making snow

This tutorial will explain how to paint snow in the terrain editor without the usage of any snow textures.

by david2999

1. Start by setting up a new layer and give it a nice sand DetailTexture (this will act like snow).

In the layer settings there's also a color option, set this color to bright gray not white because this will make the textures too bright to look good.

2. Before starting to paint you need to change some options on the menu bar to the right, select the paint mode "Both" and then below select "Color" this will paint the Detail texture and the color you assigned in the layer but it will not paint a Colortexture.

3. Go ahead and start painting, you should now get some nice white sand that will look exactly like snow should!

What your result may look like

untitled12wa.jpg

Note that you can paint not only snow but you can paint any colors with this method, for instance if you want some blue hills (not that i think anyone would want to) but you can do this by changing the gray color in the layer settings to whatever color and then paint.

Hope this helps someone. :)

And don't forget to visit the US Intervention mod website

http://usi.jarhedz.com

-David2999 USI Dev

When you are up close, what does it look like?

Theoreticly as white sand, but in-game you won't recognise that's sand. It's like perfect snow.

I bet the sand sound would be pretty close..

PS I a almost ready to show everyone my falling snow:)

cool cant wait to see it :wink:

can u make the snow more dence? and whats with the red sky?

other than that it looks gd, make a tutorial on how to do it :wink:

Yes u can make more dense, I want to find the line between good effect and performance issues. The red sky needs to be teaked a little but this map is about being in the environment, so the sky will be an early morning sunrise, with a redish sky. A bigger picture screenie you would prob get it. This map is actually going to be part of a 3v3 tournament so only 6 people on the level, so I can get away with more effects like snow. I will be releasing the map as a teaser and promotional thing for our tournie which we are opening up to everyone to participate. Should be alot of action and fun! Stay tuned for tut!

LOL its been not too snowy here either and I am not complaining! I think I am going to work on a avalanche effect too!! I was thinking that I could make skis as a weapon kit so you could switch to them, by pressing a number....maybe it will work someday:)

Yes it is, Im testing right now, I get a little jumpy when I first spawn in game but that has always happened to me on all bf2 maps. But after that I am getting good FPS as u can see.

Keep the cull radius low and place many of them on your map, or bundle a lot of them together into one. Then you can up the density and it will only be drawing those emitted near you. It's a difficult balance between distances of the emitters and visible radius combined with frequency, but you'll get better results with lots of emitters than one trying to emit it all.

Well, I believe I have it where I want it. It is a good effect without sacrificing lag, but I need to test alot more with more than 4 players. Cull radius is 1 currently, and there are about 5 emitters in the effect. 1 effect on the map, it spreads it out over the radius apparently, so that was cool.

Map is soon done, so be looking in the showcase area if you want to DL.

4910428487500snow.JPG

Really nice, i wonder hows battlefield 2 would look like if you could put raining effects too, maybe with lightinings, but i think they could cause some lag.

Yeah you are right in my experience, I have tested by hosting on my machine with 5 guys with lower end machines and high end, virtually no performance issues. It really adds another dimension to game play!

It's something that's been standard in games for years. It's just sorta a novelty in this case because this engine is so seemingly clenched.