• Announcements

• Detrux

Site Relaunched   10/13/2016

Welcome back to BFEditor.org! We've upgraded the forum software, removed the spammers, and improved security. Apologies for the downtime! Det
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rexman

New Tool - Copy all settings between materials

13 posts in this topic

This command line tool will copy all settings and 'cells' from one material to another material. This saves a lot of time when you are adding new materials to the material manager or if you want to reset the settings of a material to a default baseline.

Download the tool here:

http://rex3d.net/bf2/files/tools/material_manager/

Source code c++ is available upon request if someone wishes to extend this tool for their own specific purposes.

Use the GUI tool if you are new to this, otherwise the older command line tool's instructions are below:

Example of the use of this commmand line tool (Bf2MatUtil-v01.zip):

Added a new vehicle that you want change the decal effects and sounds used on the surface vs the material you currently have applied. This tool will let you copy settings from an existing material to the new one. Without this tool you would need to copy and paste hundreds of settings individually costing time and adding human error in increasing the chances of copying the wrong setting accidently.

1) You would first create the new material with the bf2 editor then shut down the bf2 editor (save your changes)

2) Backup your common/Material/MaterialManager*.con files

3) Extract this tool's .exe and .bat file to common/Material/

4) Edit the .bat file with notepad and specify the name of the source material first, then the name of your new material example:

Bf2MatUtil.exe Armor_heavy Armor_Plasma_Shield

5) Save the .bat file then run the .bat file

6) Your MaterialManager*.con files are now updated

7) Start the editor back up and assign the new materials to your objects:

TweakerBar -> Default -> MapMaterials -> Click the '...' next to 'MapMaterials' and select your new 'Armor_Plasma_Shield' from the drop down list that corresponds to the material name you gave in 3dsmax/maya

You're welcome!

I updated the tool now to make it more user friendly.

Here is a screenshot of the new tool version:

BF2_MatManTool-GUI-v02.gif

The file is located here:

http://rex3d.net/bf2/files/tools/material_manager/

Filename:

BF2_MatManTool-GUI-v02.zip

You can also now specify a new material name as the destination, the tool will ask if you want it to create the new material for you.

Great that Rexman continues to pump out his little helpfull tools.

Another way to handle materials for different weapons for instance is to put them in different files (just like we did in BF42) and add the proper run-line in the materialManagerSettings.con-file

Since I rather do _everything_ manually (never use DICE C.*brr* editor) this keeps the files in a nice orderly fashion and a quick save-as ->replace - command in your favorite notepad-extension does what you need to clone new materials. I use UltraEdit-32 myself. Highly recomended.

Thanks for this great tool.

Ive always been to lazy to create new materials for us (i. e. HEAT round or GAU-8 projectile) but now i did it in 5 minutes.

What would we be without you rex? Thanks again :)

Aha! I googled everywhere looking for this stupid tool and it's been here the entire time. Do'h!

I may have a copy. I will check through my BF2 stuff and see.  Will post if i have it.