Official BF Editor Forums
[BF:A] Croupier

[BF:A] Croupier's Custom Skins for your Map Tutorial

This tutorial explains how to get custom skins for your map, without having to make a mod!

Ok let's get started shall we;

1. Navigate to Levels/your_custom_map or BF2 map if thats what your working on.

2. Open up the server.zip/Init.con

3. Add the red text to your run commands like so.

run ClientArchives.con

run Heightdata.con

LevelSettings.InitWorld

run Terrain.con BF2Editor

run StaticObjects.con BF2Editor

run Sounds.con

run Sky.con BF2Editor

run Editor/GamePlayObjects.con host

UndergrowthEditable.create

Undergrowth.load Levelsyour_map

run Overgrowth/Overgrowth.con

Overgrowth.editorEnable 1

run AmbientObjects.con BF2Editor

run Water.con

else

run ClientArchives.con

run Heightdata.con

run Terrain.con v_arg2

run Sky.con v_arg2

run CompiledRoads.con

run Sounds.con

run tmp.con v_arg1

Undergrowth.load Levelsyour_map

run Overgrowth/Overgrowth.con

run Overgrowth/OvergrowthCollision.con

run AmbientObjects.con

run Water.con

You should now see where were getting at.

4. Goto EA GAMES/Battlefield 2/Mods/bf2 and copy the ClientArchives.con uncheck read only in the file properties and add it to your_maps/server.zip

5. Open the server.zip/ClientArchives.con that you just added and in notepad ammend it to look like this.

fileManager.mountArchive Levels/your_map/Objects_client.zip Objects

fileManager.mountArchive Objects_client.zip Objects

fileManager.mountArchive Common_client.zip Common

fileManager.mountArchive Menu_client.zip Menu

fileManager.mountArchive Fonts_client.zip Fonts

fileManager.mountArchive Shaders_client.zip Shaders

6. You are now going to copy the entire BF2 Objects_client.zip from mods/BF2 into Levels/Your_Map (Don't worry we are going to be deleting everything except the folder structure and the texture/s that you are going to customise, stay with me on this)

7. Now depending on what you want to give a custom skin will determine which folder/s textures you keep in the Objects_client.zip for the purpose of this exercise I changed the US soldier skin, this will probably be the most popular thing to be customised anyway.

8. Delete everything in the .zip except soldiers/Us/Textures/us_3p_heavy_c and US_3p_Light_C (we will only be changing the 3rd person textures)

9. Open the textures in Photoshop and work your magic, save as DXT 1. Keep the same name but add a _BFA (underscore BFA is my custom texture suffix, you can add whatever you like as long as you have the _ ) So my texture name looks like this: us_3p_heavy_c_BFA

10. Open up Levels/your_map/Objects_client.zip delete the original BF2 textures and add your newly repainted and renamed US 3p textures.

Nearly done now folks.

11. Open up Levels/your_map/server.zip/Init.con and change the custom texture suffix, remeber mine is BFA yours may be whatever you want. Mine looks like this:

if v_arg1 == BF2Editor

LevelSettings.CustomTextureSuffix "BFA"

else

texturemanager.customTextureSuffix "BFA"

endIf

Congardulations your done. Load up the map jump in a vehicle and change the camera angle so you can see your nice new 3p custom textures added to your map. :)

Note: You will need to uncheck the read only properties of the maps Init.con if working on a stock BF2 map. This will work best with bundledMesh's as they dont use the texture layers but should work with statics however will require more work on the textures unless you just want to change the detail, havent tested it though and I dont know if the custom texture suffix will work with them, someone confirm please.

Look above people and be in awe....... Well someone has to blow my trumpet.

LOL that sounded really naughty.....

keithw]If it has to do with the textureManager, you didn't figure it out first!  :P

True but not just that please provide some proof to your satement that I was beaten to it, I have yet to see any post, I will happily bow down if that is the case.

I guess I was abit optimistic with ten minutes especially as my 8 1/2 month old boy woke halfway through and needed a nappy change.

Meinn gott, would you believe trhis (probably not)

I came up with exactly an idea liek that for Fuzz when he asked about half a day ago, but not that detailed. (in the DCOn forums, but its the devs section so i cnat show the post (well i can copy paste it, but the date/time could be easily frauded, and I didnt go detailed)) Well Croupier, thats a very nice tut, atleast we have some way to load textures.

Does it work for all object stuff?

Well I dont see why it wouldnt work with objects, but getting them into the editor via the maps/Objects_client/server.zip could be a problem.

Also you can rename the Objects_client/server.zip to whaterver you want like Croupiers_Objects_client.zip and then run it like this:

fileManager.mountArchive Levels/your_map/Croupiers_Objects_client.zip Objects.

For adding custom objects I suppose you could add that line to the BF2 ClientArchives.con and maybe access your content with BF2's in the Editor. Plus you would need to add client and server archives.

Well if people are out there that say they have done this before old new's ect, then why the heck aint you sharing with the community, it's not like this is secret mod stuff as it really only pertains to custom mapping. Mods dont need to add this to maps. Everything in the mod is allready customised. Also talking about it and actually doing it are two seperate things.

It must feel great when everybody has to come on and cheer themselves a new one everytime they feel they've beaten you at something. Like when i used to play Street Fighter. It was always mundane and normally boring until somebody came and actually won a round against me. Then it was cheers and congratulasians all around. It was great, for me. See, nobody gave a rat's if I beat them cause that was the norm. Nice work, Mate. You got 'em scrambling up the shit-side of your heel just to cling to your ankles.

Oh, and if you're saying "I knew this first" and there's no information about it, from you, then welcome to the list of people I don't help, ever. Some of you should find it familiar.

Its not that i meant it as: Oh im earlier than Croupier.

Hell no, i jsut found it very strange you posted the idea with a tutorial the exact same day i _suggested_(i didnt work it out) someone to try to do something like that. I didnt even know if mounting an archive during mapload would work.(exact same reason i would not post a tut) Thats all. Didnt intend to boast around, didnt intend to claim anything, just wanted to tell you.

Seems this way you cna practically make everything custom on a per-map basis. Someone jsut said in another thread (where you told you were going to post a tut) that it only worked for textures and sounds orso. If you say you dont know its probably another trick and might work.

I aint got no beef with you harry, I think keithw's statement is abit bold though considering that he had'nt actually seen the tut before he posted.

And thanks GUEST for your kind words.

I'm doing this for the community all I'm after is a thanks, Im a modder not a mapper I have absolutely no use for the the information I submitted, I saw it as a challenge and a way to learn and help others, and just so happened that I had some amazing results in a generally tight sphincter of a game engine.

Not common but Objects_client.zip (where the soldier texture are located) but you can mount any, depending on where the original texture is located, I hope there are no problem with this running over a network or internet, should be Ok but whow knows I aint tested it and probably never will, its up to others to take it further. Could be really usefull for single player customisations as it should definetly work.

The key is the fileManager.MountArchive stament needs to be in a sperate con file from the init.con. I had tried to put that statment in init.con but it failed and I dismissed it as impossible via this route (this appears to be the only exception, cause for the most part you can put any valid con code in any con file and as long as the con file is ran, it works. However, this is not the case with archive mounting).

Also note that name means nothing. All that matters is that all the code points to the right place, and that the filemanager statemnt is in a seperate con from the init.con.

Also I noticed that you cannot override existing textures, you must create your own set.

I hate forums that let guests post. I forgot to log in. I also forgot to say that I am going to try to get a static to have a new texutre, as that is what I really need this for. I will post my findings.

Confirmed working with single palyer:

screen0597sq.jpg

screen0609qy.jpg

screen0636du.jpg

screen0614vs.jpg

Also I noticed that you cannot override existing textures, you must create your own set.
Thats why I added the texture suffix BFA.

Ya that is what I figured after I started playing with it. I also noticed that for some odd reason I got it work when I renamed the ClietnArchives.con to objects.con, but now I cannot get it to work. Does ClientArchives.con have to be the name of the con file which contains all the filemanager statements?

Also after looking at the textures for statics, I noticed that they all share a set of textures. Which means that since you cannot override textures you cannot create a suffix for statics. I really hope someone can proove me wrong on this one.

Does ClientArchives.con have to be the name of the con file which contains all the filemanager statements?

Yes. ClientArchives.con and ServerArchives.con contain the fileManager.mountArchive statement.

EDIT: Yippie. I can confirm that custom texture suffix does work for detail texture and probably for all the rest. Looks like buildings are good to go.

See here in this rather crude test, crude yet effective. You know what this means, you can now easily mod a map. Im almost certain effects, animations, anything is now possible. :)

screen067.jpg

Croupier]You know what this means, you can now easily mod a map. Im almost certain effects, animations, anything is now possible. :)

Ooo :D Animations you say… That would make it easier for me to animate new weapon animations…

Animations, objects, sounds, and code are all very easy to import into a map. I think there is another thread about this, but basically you do it like in 42, run objects.con and in objects you run each object etc.

Now how did you get the buildings to work? One in particular I was looking at was the mi_vehicle_shelter. There is no specific texture for it, it appears to share textures with military objects. So is there a distinction between buildings and objects then? (building being say a baraks and object the mi_vehicle_shelter).

In regards to initial post:

11. Open up Levels/your_map/server.zip/Init.con and change the custom texture suffix, remeber mine is BFA yours may be whatever you want. Mine looks like this:

if v_arg1 == BF2Editor

else

endIf

Do the two lines go at the top of the list ? The bottom? Or should those be the only things there? I was attempting to use this tutorial using .../my_mod/my_map/....etc instead of the .../mod/bf2/... folders, other than the big objects zip, obviously. Is this possible or did I simply place the line of code in the wrong spot? CTD immediately when attempting to load map.

In regards to initial post:

if v_arg1 == BF2Editor

else

endIf

Do the two lines go at the top of the list ? The bottom? Or should those be the only things there? I was attempting to use this tutorial using .../my_mod/my_map/....etc instead of the .../mod/bf2/... folders, other than the big objects zip, obviously. Is this possible or did I simply place the line of code in the wrong spot? CTD immediately when attempting to load map.

Do the two lines go at the top of the list ?  The bottom?  Or should those be the only things there?

They should stay exactly where they are in the Init.con, all your changing is the suffix. All your doing is adding text to the Init.con that is allready present in your maps server.zip I thought I made it pretty clear especially with the colored text and all?

And thank you RandomMapper. :)