Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dataman

BF2Ecomap 0.1 - bf2 terrain texturing tool

Version 0.11 is available (fixes a critical bug)

This program automates the texturing of BF2 maps. You can control the texturing by set of rules that take into account the geometry of the terrain. That way you can have snow on top of the mountains and rocks on sloppy terrain ..

Screen shot

http://www.leetdreams.com/bf2ecomap/images...pScreenshot.gif

Website

http://www.leetdreams.com/bf2ecomap

Download

http://www.leetdreams.com/bf2ecomap/downlo...s/BF2Ecomap.zip

Be sure to read the README.TXT first.

You are free to distribute it.

PS. Don't forget that this is only the first release

The BF2Painter is a neat tool. BF2Ecomap is very similar, but gives you more control on how the textures are to be generated, through an integrated user interface. It has also some advanced features, like directly loading the DDS textures from BF2, unlimited color layers, mixing BF2 and external textures for the color material.

However, in it's current status it has it's limitations too. It does not generate the surrounding textures, does not import the scale from the bf2 editor project (you need to enter it manually using your own units), it's slower than BF2Painter.

All these "problems" will be fixed soon and many more features will come be added.

If you have any suggestion or requests don't hesitate. There is always a place in my todo list.

This tool looks really promising. It addresses TPaint's main weakness, ie. it can only do 3 layers and I like the fact it will read the detail+colour textures directly from the bf2 folders. smart :).

Getting the scales from the heightdata.con is easy and adapting it to process the surrouding terrains will be simple too. You should have a fully functional program in no time :).

This is most definately the best way to go, well done. I recomend it to anyone.

The only extra feature I personally would like to see is the ability to generate colour maps using noise algorithms from a selected range of colours from a colour pallette the same way the Editor42 (for bF1942) used to do (The same way 3dsmax creates falloff and noise colour materials). :)

Here is a screenshot of what I mean with the noise generator. It is essentially just a way of creating a texture to be used on a particular layer. It is limitless in power and combination in is not limited to a persons ability to find/create tiling textures.

You can see in the screenshot how Editor 42 mainly used plain colours, but the combination of noise and seeds and the ability to combine layers and control how influential each layer is makes it very powerful, and virtually limitless in combination.

The Threshold controls the combination of the two children layers, and the seed/octave controls the noise pattern.

This may be more complicated than what you are looking to do, but it would certainly be great. :)

screen4_800.jpg

i think somebody should make the complete terrain creater. without using photoshop.. mainly cuz i dont have it.. but anyway.. so it would throw in the water, and the undergrowth (even though both of those are easy to do) it would save time..

i like the tool,.. its a great tool man gj!

8)

Augustus]Here is a screenshot of what I mean with the noise generator. It is essentially just a way of creating a texture to be used on a particular layer. It is limitless in power and combination in is not limited to a persons ability to find/create tiling textures.

You can see in the screenshot how Editor 42 mainly used plain colours, but the combination of noise and seeds and the ability to combine layers and control how influential each layer is makes it very powerful, and virtually limitless in combination.

The Threshold controls the combination of the two children layers, and the seed/octave controls the noise pattern.

This may be more complicated than what you are looking to do, but it would certainly be great. :)

screen4_800.jpg

God, how I miss Editor42...thanks for that screen, it brings back such fond memories :)

I'm very excited about this tool, as it gives feedback similar to Terragen terrain texturing (without the $100 pricetag)...

But I'm having some trouble getting good templates to match my heightmap.

Does anyone have any templates using this tool that they might be able to post?

Example (RULE EDITOR):

Low_Flat

--Height Range

----Min: 0

----Max:15

--Slope

----Max:10

Steep

--Height Range

----Max:164

--Slope

----Min: 35

----Max:90

If anyone could post what they've successfully used (I'm using the default 164m mapheight in BF2editor), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I was playing around with this the other day, and I like it. I love the instant feedback, being able to tweak the numbers and preview it is excellent.

However, I had some issues...but I think that was because I was re-texturing a map that I had hand-textured.

Love to see some of the known issues fixed (like Detail). Really excellent tool!

Detrux]Java moose this thread is for a earlier version, are you currently using .21?

link-http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3977

Have to double check, but I think I am...