Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrBurns2000

copyrighted song in a map?

hi,

i want add the song "Danger Zone" from kenny loggins to my new map.

can i do this when i give all credits in the readme to him?

i mean, i dont do it for commercial, i dont get money for this.

i send a email to the page og him but i dont get an answer.

what do you think about it?

can u use songs for bf2 movies, i want to use a few good songs from some top artists.

on the other hand if you BUY* a cd with music, you should be able to do with it as you wish. and put it on stuff.

if im rong correct me

To go to the other side of the coin, if you don't hold the copyright or have permission, you technically shouldn't be distributing it with your map (in the US, you EU guys have different laws). I bet the RIAA could make a case that you are illegaly sharing music since you distribute an OGG file with the map...extreme and stupid, but I wouldn't be surprised.

No, you are absolutely NOT allowed to use that song. Any other song on the freaking planet, fine. Just not that one. Using it would be dangerous, reckless and dangerous and that makes you dangerous.

That's right.

Iceman.

I am

dangerous.

on the other hand if you BUY* a cd with music, you should be able to do with it as you wish. and put it on stuff.

Well even if you do buy a CD, you don't own the rights to the music and thus can't (well you CAN but you're not allowed to) distribute.

My personal opinion is that you should go ahead and put the music in, no one will care really (assuming we're talking about a relatively big artist) and it's not like you're making any money or anything like that by putting someone else's music in your map.

Do what I did and contact a band that has their own label, tell them your story and the thing about the non profit, let them know that the audio format will not be standard and will be an inferior quality to that on the album to deter people from extracting the songs.

Thats what I did and one of my fav bands said yes. So now BF:A can now use any music from FUGAZI (very suited to the Apocalypse).

http://www.dischord.com/bands/fugazi.shtml

I have also got The Mark of Cain (Aussie Hard Rock/Metal band from Adelaide)

They have stated in emails that they are fine with letting us use their music in the BF:A mod, however they also stated that their songs are still owned by BMG records, their former label. I dont give a shit about BMG, what I care about is getting an OK by the musican(s) if BMG find out (which I really doubt they would as TMOC are a pretty obscure band) then we would pull the music, all the while my conscience remains clear as I asked permission from the creator not the leagal owner, stuff them money hungry record companies, thats why I mentioned bands with their own record label, they hold the power. Good luck and get emailing and ball sucking.

http://www.tmoc.com.au/home/

You only actually hold a licence to play the music on the CD, you don't own the music in anyway, You are only allowed to have one instance of the music playing at once so e.g. not allowed to copy and give to mate or even him rip the CD and listen on his IPOd for e.g. whilst you listen on a PC. These would effect being allowed to use music in a movie or map without the correct permissions from the copyright holder of the music or intellectual property...

[VS-UK]Ella