Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kiff

Material Editor that actually saves your changes

I made this tool since the editor's is broken. It also lets you browse and search (text filter) through the materials quickly. You need .net 1.1 to run it. There's a quick start text file in the zip. When you've saved your changes, you must manually copy the files back into the Common_Server/Materials folder. Most of the functions have been tested by me and seem to work fine, but not stress tested. Please post/pm me of any bugs or questions.

Download here:

http://graebtech.com/dcon/MaterialEditor.zip

Yay, I just crashed it with .net 2.0 :P

Don't know whats wrong with the editor's material editor it always works for me, though i do find people forgetting to click the save button thinking it's instant <_<

Yay, I just crashed it with .net 2.0 :P

I have 1.1 and 2.0 installed. Not sure about backward compat w/2.0 . It was made with 1.1

Don't know whats wrong with the editor's material editor it always works for me, though i do find people forgetting to click the save button thinking it's instant <_<

Never actually tried it. A lot of people have told me that the save function doesn't work.

Yeah for my experience with the material editor, it works but you have to load certain things from the parent mod, atleast I think that's how I was able to do it, something like that, it's been a long time since I last messed with it. :roll:

]I simply edit the materials by hand. What could be more easy :D ? But thanks for your efforts !

Is that just for editing the materials or their interactions? For just simple material edits I'd agree. For looking up damageMod and effects for material interactions I'd definitely suggest you look at my app. It has text filters for src(attacker) and dst(victim) materials and lets you navigate through them with ease. It also lets you list only the material settings cells for a given material being the src or all cells where a particular material is a dst.

Yeah for my experience with the material editor, it works but you have to load certain things from the parent mod, atleast I think that's how I was able to do it, something like that, it's been a long time since I last messed with it. :roll:

That makes sense. I would imagine that if you don't have a unique copy of the material definitions and settings in your mod, then it would want you to load the parent's.

I just want to ask what the Material Editor is for?

I find it actually very useless if you ask me. Maybe I will be needing it to give materials to my skinned stuff?

Thanks

The Material Editor is used for:

- Playing effects when projectile X hits surface Y, such as making wood splinters fly out of wood materials when you shoot them with a standard bullet

- Placing decal effects when projectile X hits surface Y, such as making a dark black stain appear on concrete when you shoot it with a grenade launcher round

- Modifying the base damage of a projectile against certain target materials, such as doing 3x normal damage when you shoot a guy in the head

- Playing sound effects when projectile X hits surface Y, such as making a "chink" sound when you knife a metal plate

- Etc etc etc - hope you get the idea...

The material editor ( or better Kiff's 'Material Screwerupper' :P ) can also be used for introducing special abilities , like a tool for cutting certain wires or a wrench which can only repair certain items. Its one of the vital tools for custom game aspects and vital for realistic damage models.

Man thank you both for explaining that. Is there a tutorial for learning how to use it? Its sounds important.

Um, no... but its pretty straightforward to figure out. There are three dropdowns along the top: AttackMaterial, DefendMaterial and DisplayValue. Remember that every interaction is a combination of *two* materials - the material of the bullet (or moving object etc) against the material of the impact surfact. Generally the bullets are the attackers and the surface materials are the defenders - but lets take a quick example.

Set the AttackMaterial to Projectiles

Set the DefendMaterial to Misc

You'll see materials like Bullet_small_arms, Bullet_shotgun, Knife going down the left side of the column. (Hover over a name to get its mat #)

You'll see materials like Human_body, Human_head, etc across the top.

If you set the DisplayValue to damageMod, you'll get a table for those interactions. For example, small arms bullets (from pistols) do 66% damage versus body armor, 100% damage versus body and 300% against the head. This is multiplier to the damage you set in the weapon's tweak file.

If you click in a cell and check the tweaker, you'll see what effects and sounds are played when you shoot a kevlar vest for example. These other properties can be set in the table by changing the DisplayValue to something else.

Dead link. Was this the nifty little tool that would let me do everything the editor does without the need to boot that POS up? If so could some get me a new link?