Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Detrux

Editor, Tutorial, And Plug-in Downloads | All Listed Here.

Does anyone know if they made more indepth manuals on how to make a map? The first two tutorials are good, but then they move on to making a mod without explaining how to include Mini-Maps, how to put in out of bound zones, how to get rid of that weird green hue just outside of the boundry map, and how to extend the outside of the map so that it doesn't suddenly stop and then have a gray nothingness.

Does anyone know if they made more indepth manuals on how to make a map? The first two tutorials are good, but then they move on to making a mod without explaining how to include Mini-Maps, how to put in out of bound zones, how to get rid of that weird green hue just outside of the boundry map, and how to extend the outside of the map so that it doesn't suddenly stop and then have a gray nothingness.

All that information plus more hundreds more topics can be found on these forums via search, there are tutorials and posts.

Nothign official has been created for those aspects, and the official ones are a bit out dated as there are a few error sand methods that need to be fixed.. You best bet is to head over to the Community Tutorials section where members have written hundreds of really in-depth, step by step tutorials :)

Well I want to to make an outlandish copy of Gulf Of Oman. So I did as someone said, copied and pasted it to my desktop and renamed it Boot_Camp. I extracted the server.zip and the client.zip and moved them back into the maps folder.

If you could tell me what I am doing wrong or give a slightly detailed step by step of what you do that would be apreciated.

you renamed it in the editor or by changing the folder name? open the unzipped Oman in the editor... in terrain mode... choose...save as... Then type in the new name... then let it save... Then move the unzipped copy of Oman in to your trashbin...

Then you open the info folder in your newly named map... there is a .desc file... make sure it is the name of your map...open the file

and make sure its not Oman... if it is... type in the name of your new map.... save... then open the editor and choose your new map... then look for a post on black terrain...

you renamed it in the editor or by changing the folder name? open the unzipped Oman in the editor... in terrain mode... choose...save as... Then type in the new name... then let it save... Then move the unzipped copy of Oman in to your trashbin...

Then you open the info folder in your newly named map... there is a .desc file... make sure it is the name of your map...open the file

and make sure its not Oman... if it is... type in the name of your new map.... save... then open the editor and choose your new map... then look for a post on black terrain...

I cant open the unziped oman in the editor, thats the problem. And will Gulf of Oman work after all of this?

You unzipped the client.zip and the server.zip in the Oman map you are working on... (the Oman thats in the BF2/levels folder right?)

then you deleted the client.zip and the server.zip? (remember to make a backup of your original oman)

then you start the editor and choose Oman... and it wont open or it crashes...?

You should make a basic map and get it to work ingame... Then you will understand the editor and mapping a lot better...

Redoing a regular BF2 map is not super hard... but there are a few things you have to do after you get it to open...in the editor...

Edited by Catbox

ok these links dont work either, none of the tutorials i dont have, and have never had i cant get. someone just make them into topics so we can read them off the site instead of giving us links to the gotfrag place that doesnt work plz :(

it figures the downloads dont work starting with the importing the car because the tutorial pack didnt have any after tutorial 6, yet it told me to go to the next one and here i am waiting for help from anyone with a working link

Edited by vanover

It can - but i miss the tools to handle the alpha channel. The guys at Paint.NET say that the behaviour of the alpha channel is all about transparencies and that there don't need to be tools to manipulate it directly which reduces the value of Paint.NET considerably :( You even can't display the alpha channel on its own.

Here's where you can get it: http://www.getpaint.net/

After all, its free and it can save DDS to a certain degree. Not all formats are supported, though.

PaintNet's ok when you just want to paint a billboard or something in a fast way. The real work still should be done with the real big programs ;-)

Yeah well if you can master GIMP then you are like a professional guy that has photoshop. In my life that I had GIMP , I have had NO problems - NEVER>

Its only disadvantage is that its hard to use and to learn how to use it.

Gimp is very capable... and so is Inkscape...free (for vector art)... they can do anything that PS can

Will the editors listed at the beginning of this pinned post also work with BF2 v1.41, or am I SOL for a vanilla or special forces map mod? I'd like to start with vanilla or SF as I begin custom terrains and environs, something I can share with friends playing 1.41.

absolutely.... make sure you have the latest editor... version 1.3....

start the editor... choose bf2 or SF as your parent mod... let it load... check all the boxes in mod/mod manager

then create a map... check out all the tutorials in our tutorials section... and post when you get stuck...

I'd like to start with vanilla or SF

just remember that any statics unique to SF or booster packs have no lightmap samples available for them, so you won't be able to gen any shadows for them - for that reason you might be better off sticking with the vanilla statics (or custom ones, if you have access to some)

Sign in to follow this