Official BF Editor Forums

[RESOLVED] Making a Vehicle into a Static Object

Daniel S

Here's what I want to do.  I want to transform some vehicles into static objects.  I want them strewn about the map, looking like they are junked or on fire or whatever. 

I know that there are a couple of wrecks already, but I want to create specific vehicle static objects.

I have already copied the desired vehicle folders from the "vehicle" directory to the "staticobjects" directory in the objects_server and objects_client of the BF2 mod folder.  I have edited the con file and changed "ObjectTemplate.create PlayerControlObject" to "ObjectTemplate.create SimpleObject" and removed any references to sounds or movement.

I have had minimal success.  The problem is, for example, when I create a static object of the "jep_vodnik" I get the basic vehicle, but it has no tires.  When I create a static object of the xpak_semi, it is there and even has the tires, but they are above the vehicle instead of where they should be.

I appreciate any help with understanding what to do to make this work.  Please no posts saying "why would you want to do this" or anything similar.  I want to do this and if you can help, I would appreciate it.

-Daniel

Image1.jpg

Edited by Daniel S

Progress?

I fiddled around with the syntax, switching out between "PlayerControlObject" and "SimpleObject" and "RotationalBundle" and "Bundle" and I got to the point where the "jep_vodnik" shows up correctly....with its tires.

BUT...unfortunately, when I launch the game, it's just not there.  (see pic)

SO....what would cause an object to be visible in the editor but not the game itself?

Image1.jpg

your have to import each vehicle into max change them from bundlemesh to static mesh add col3 to each collision and then make sure all materials are correct then export, 

all of which may be a little beyond your skill level. or do a search in objects you might find enough wrecks to do what you want!

look for a custom map called Pripiyat it had a junk yard in it!

I have it almost figured out.  I just need a little help getting over the finish line.

I have successfully created a Static Object from a vehicle.  I figured out the "missing tires" issue.  I figured out the issue where the object would move if shot at (I gave it a heavy weight and now it doesn't move).

As you can see in the picture, I made the xpak2_semi into a static object.   The only challenge left is to figure out why it looks sunk into the ground.  Adjusting the height number in the editor makes no difference.  Adjusting the height number in "StaticObjects.con" makes no difference.   I tried to find something in the Con file (in objects_server) but I could find many parts that I could change the height of (steering wheel, tires) but I could not find the name of the main body of the truck.

How do I find out the names of all the parts of the object?  For example, the steering wheel is named "SteeringWheel" and the left front tire is named "LFwheel" and so on.  I can change these parts' position and the change shows in the game (example in 2nd pic).

So I feel like the answer is finding the "name" of the main truck body and using that in the con file to set its position.   Any help is more than greatly appreciated....

Truck.jpg

Tires.jpg

Edited by Daniel S
clarify

I took your original advice and brought them into 3DS Max, converted them to static, created hierarchies and exported.  I now have all the vehicles as Static Objects!  It's great!

Anyone who wants a complete tutorial on the process, I will be happy to provide.  Or I can share the finished staticobjects (if that's allowed).

If I haven't stated it previously, I am doing this only for my own use and enjoyment.

• Daniel S changed the title to [RESOLVED] Making a Vehicle into a Static Object