Official BF Editor Forums

Can't find tweak files for Armored Kill vehicles

ebaender

I expected the vehicle tweak files to be in the server objects archive in the mods/bf2 directory since the Armored Kill level files are grouped with the base game, but they're nowhere to be found. I also checked in mods/xpack just to be sure, but that's just the Special Forces vehicles.

Are the values for those vehicles simply not exposed or are the files hidden someplace less obvious?

Edited by ebaender

sorry i don't know what Armored Kill is - (or maybe i just don't remember, it has been several years) - but some vehicles are packed with the map itself; look in the map's server and client zips and maybe you will see 'Vehicles' inside the 'Objects' folder in both archives (as well as any required supporting effects and wreck particles, etc.)

the included new vehicles are mounted via the map's init.con

OperationSmokeScreen is an example of a booster pack map containing vehicles

e.g. at the very bottom of Op Smokescreen's init.con, there is:

renderer.globalStaticMeshLodDistanceScale 1
renderer.globalBundleMeshLodDistanceScale 1
renderer.globalSkinnedMeshLodDistanceScale 1

gameLogic.setTeamDropVehicle 1 "jep_mec_paratrooper"
gameLogic.setTeamDropVehicle 2 "xpak2_faav"

rem Effects
run Objects\Effects\vehicles\explosionsxp2\e_vexp_xpak_eurofighter\e_vexp_xpak_eurofighter.con
run Objects\Effects\vehicles\explosionsxp2\e_vexp_xpak_tnkl2a6\e_vexp_xpak_tnkl2a6.con
run Objects\Effects\vehicles\explosionsxp2\e_vexp_xpak_tnkc2\e_vexp_xpak_tnkc2.con

rem Vehicles
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_faav\xpak2_faav.con
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_eurofighter\xpak2_eurofighter.con
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_tnkc2\xpak2_tnkc2.con
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_tnkl2a6\xpak2_tnkl2a6.con
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_lav25\xpak2_lav25.con
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_hmmwv\xpak2_hmmwv.con

rem Static Objects
run objects\water\tabara_quarry_waterplane.con
run objects\staticobjects\military\buildings\aircontroltower_eu\aircontroltower_eu.con
run objects\staticobjects\military\buildings\mobileradar_eu_dest\mobileradar_eu_dest.con

...etc. etc.

good luck, i hope you get it sorted out.

Edited by clivewil
dun sum stuff rong

Thanks for the help, appreciate it :)

My mistake, it was called Armored Fury in BF2, not Armored Kill. Mixed that up with the BF3 expansion.

I just found them, they're in a completely separate archive in the bf2/mods directory called Booster_server.zip.

Okay now that I found them I could make tweaks to the Warthog, Fantan and Frogfoot, but not to the scout helicopters.

I wanted to adjust the fire rate and damage output of the guns on those helicopters, but changes in these files have no effect. I also checked the armored fury level directories to see if there are any vehicle tweak files overriding them, but that's not the case.

Any ideas?

12 hours ago, ebaender said:

Any ideas?

nope. a runthrough with agent ransack on my install shows that there's only one instance of e.g. she_littlebird.tweak, in booster_server.zip

if that's the only tweak, then modifying it should work, unless i'm missing something... (i assume you're doing all of this in local singleplayer, not using a dedi server etc.?)

@clivewil Thanks for the reply!

I figured it out!

I'm using BF2ALL64 on top of my mod to test big maps with bots, and it turns out that has overrides for only the scout helicopters and the gas station truck on Operation Road Rage. I think that's because the Armored Fury maps don't have any singleplayer / coop versions in vanilla and the developer made the vehicles exclusive to them usable by the bots, which is pretty cool.

This probably would have occurred to me earlier if the Armored Fury jets would have had overrides as well, but they don't since they seem to use the bomber jet AI from the base game.

8 hours ago, ebaender said:

I think that's because the Armored Fury maps don't have any singleplayer / coop versions in vanilla

yeah, tell me about it. i was the dumb sap who made the 64-player navmesh for Op. RR plus others, and trying to get that clover-leaf section to generate properly was painful.

cool that you found the solution :)

i recommend Agent Ransack for times like this, it's a free windows search tool that's way better than stock windows search (i did a scan for the text string 'she_littlebird' and it told me which files contained it) - i'm not an endorsee, just a user who has found it very handy for finding things in BF2 over the years. (i assume it's still free, i hope so)

I had the same problem as you.  Yes the Armored Fury files are in the Booster_server.zip in the mod directory.  The Euro Force files are in the objects folder inside server.zip found in each of the levels that came with Euro Force - Taraba Quarry, Great Wall, Operation Smokescreen.

This is a bit of a problem if you want to tweak the Euro Force files because you have to change the same tweak file in multiple copies across all 3 levels.  Also if you want to use the vehicles in other maps you have to copy the objects folders from client.zip and server.zip into the other levels client.zip and server.zip.  You may know this already,but try this out:

Take the objects folder from server.zip in the level (eg Taraba Quarry) and put it in the objects_server.zip of you mods main directory

Then take the objects folder from client.zip from the level (eg Taraba Quarry) and put it in the objects_client.zip of you mods main directory

For example in my mod FfAux after moving the folders the path for the Leopard 2 tank (xpak2_tnkl2a6) looks like this:

C:\......Battlefield 2\mods\FfAux\Objects_client.zip\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_tnkl2a6\.......meshes & textures folders

C:\.....Battlefield 2\mods\FfAux\Objects_server.zip\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_tnkl2a6\.........meshes folder & .con + tweak files

Remove the objects folder from the objects_client.zip and objects_server.zip of each of the 3 Euro force levels.  Or you could just copy over and delete the vehicles part inside the objects folder if you are only doing vehicles (that is what I did).

The game should run the levels.  If you want to make a change to the Leopard tank (xpak2_tnkl2a6.tweak) you would just do it in the one place now (as shown above).

Also you can now put the Euro force vehicles into any other level.  Open up another non Euro force level (eg Gulf of Oman) and find the Init.con.

Init.con is found in:

C:\...Battlefield 2\mods\FfAux\Levels\gulf_of_oman\server.zip\Init.con

Add the lines to the bottom of Init.con for Gulf of Oman

rem Effects
rem Effects
run Objects\Effects\vehicles\explosionsxp2\e_vexp_xpak_eurofighter\e_vexp_xpak_eurofighter.con
run Objects\Effects\vehicles\explosionsxp2\e_vexp_xpak_tiger\e_vexp_xpak_tiger.con
run Objects\Effects\vehicles\explosionsxp2\e_vexp_xpak_tnkc2\e_vexp_xpak_tnkc2.con
run Objects\Effects\vehicles\explosionsxp2\e_vexp_xpak_tnkl2a6\e_vexp_xpak_tnkl2a6.con

rem Vehicles
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_faav\xpak2_faav.con
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_eurofighter\xpak2_eurofighter.con
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_tiger\xpak2_tiger_rearrotor\xpak2_tiger_rearrotor.con
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_tiger\xpak2_tiger_mainrotor\xpak2_tiger_mainrotor.con
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_tiger\xpak2_tiger.con
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_tnkc2\xpak2_tnkc2.con
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_tnkl2a6\xpak2_tnkl2a6.con
run Objects\Vehicles\xpak2_vehicles\xpak2_lav25\xpak2_lav25.con

Then open one of the gameplayObjects.con located here (in my mod FfAux):

C:\....Battlefield 2\mods\FfAux\Levels\gulf_of_oman\server.zip\GameModes\gpm_coop\16\GamePlayObjects.con

Replace this line:  ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 ustnk_m1a2

with this line:    ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 xpak2_tnkl2a6.con

For the 16 player coop level of gulf of Oman that particular Abrams tank will now be a Leopard tank.  If you want to replace all the abrams with leopards then do Find (ustnk_m1a2) and Replace (xpak2_tnkl2a6.con) in Notepad.

I put the above lines of code in all the Init.con files for every level in my mod (FfAux).  Now I can add any of the vehicles easily to any level.

A bit off track from what you were asking, but I only just figured this out less than a week ago.  I had put the Euro force objects folders into all my levels and when I made a change had to go through all the levels to update the .tweak files.  This way is much better.  Do not know why they did not just make a Booster2_server.zip and Booster2_client.zip (would have been easier).