Official BF Editor Forums

DDS texture edit works - but adds sun glare

mft004

Hello all,

again I promise to give this good board a break till at least the summer after this question. I've finally figured out how I can edit vehicle textures (convert to say .tga with Paint.net using BC6H so that I can actually see the texture, copy and paste that image over the surface of the original .DDS within Gimp, edit the image, paste that over the minmaps too, then export as BC3 / DXT5). However when I do that, the desired texture does appear in-game but it is noticeably more shiny - the in-game sun's reflection is clearly enpowered over most / all of the object surface. For example the tires now look to be part-made of polished metal when facing the sun. Is there a way to limit that light glare (via either the .DDS conversion or via extra lines in the vehicle text file), or is this the trade-off to be accepted with free software?

Top regards,

Mark

Edited by mft004

super-shiny materials like you're describing are usually the result of a missing alpha channel

(it's not actually missing - the hole gets filled by an all-white substitute, i.e. everything set to max shiny)

can you confirm the proper alpha is there? copy and paste from original texture if not there, or kludge your own one together in gimp

Bless you man, that's done it. I couldn't work out how to copy the channel, but there was an option to 'lock' the channel and then I pasted the edited image to the surface (& couple of mipmaps) and exported - and presto, no more need for sunglasses! Many thanks again.

I was adding a little detail to a texture and noticed the author's mark. It was done in Feb 2003. 

2003!

Edited by mft004