Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet

Great Software and Question

Well I have come across one of the best and easiest Terrain Softwares around. I dont know if most of you have ever cross or used this piece of software but its really great. http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/

It can export your heightmaps and your texture map plus more maps..I have done some experimenting using this in conjunction with the Editor and so far everything is working great. I know using the Splitter that is posted here it will work on splitting the texture map. Now my question is how can I create the Detail Map if I use my own Color Map? Does BF2_TPaint have the ability to create only a Detail Map from My Custom Color Map?

BTW here are 3 ss for you that was created by L3DT:

Preview3.jpg

Preview2.jpg

Preview1.jpg

Thanks for the help

Cool looking utility.

It looks like the detail maps can be generated as stated here:

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/tute/tute_op...p#gen_TX_alphas

If you output these files and split them into TX_*x*_1.dds and TX_*x*_2.dds files, you should be able to get good detail texture maps.

Of course, it's just speculation on my part now, since I've only browsed the site & haven't installed/used the app. But it looks like it's very powerful.

Hopefully the standard version is able to export BF2-sized files (2048x2048 and/or 4096x4096 maps).

Let us know if the above method works out!

Yep you can create any size you want the difference I read about the PRO version that will be release is for Commercial Use and its only going to be $25.. Also this thing creates the light maps for you. Didnt see about the Detail Maps Guess I need to reread it again..Thanks for help. That Spitter should do the job or I guess I can create a Photoshop Action to take care of it..

Yep you can create any size you want ...PRO version ...its only going to be $25...

I already asked for the evaluation version.

It appears that the standard version has limits to map sizes 2k x 2k... but the pro version is 4M x 4M!

$25 Is a great price for what this software appears to be able to do. I was considering dropping the $99 for TerraGen, but it looks like this program will do everything TerraGen does and more (specifically for BF2 – Like DetailMap generation using the Alphamaps).

If the price is Austrailian Dollars (since the author talked about “going walkabout”) – the deal gets even sweeter, as $25AUS = $17.97USD!

killinscuds

first how big is 2k x 2k compared to BF2 map sizes? Second, it basically states "IN RAM". I have created my own 1025x1025 map using the standard version. I am awaiting a reply myself on getting an evaluation of the pro version. Its not out yet but suppose to be out sometime 1 half of 2006. So, hopefully soon it will be out. I also just read where in the pro version in the alpha maps you can change the ID numbers which is awesome actually. So all you grass can be on 1, sand on 2, etc....I think this utility will be the thing for creating terrains and texures for BF2 maps..

I have created my own 1025x1025 map using the standard version.

Heightmaps max out at 1025x1025—so you’d be good for that—I’m more concerned with texturing (color & detail) than heightmaps.

first how big is 2k x 2k compared to BF2 map sizes?

Colormap/Detail Maps for:

512 sized maps are 2048x2048

1024 sized maps are 4096x4096 pixels.

By 2k x 2k they mean 2000x2000 pixels. You’d probably be able to scale for the detail textures without losing too much, but stretching the colormaps would probably not look so great.

I hope that guy doesn’t get snatched up by a croc’ or kicked in the head by a ‘Roo while he’s on walkabout... I have $25 burning a hole in my pocket now!

make sure you save it as a group then get the viewer to view it in 3d...Man this is the best piece of software for terrains I have ever seen..EA you need to look at this and use it for BF2..I am being really serious about this.

BTW you can export as RAW file for heightmap. I am going to mix this in the editor and will get back to you for the outcome..

Well I click New>Design/Inflate and it states that the size limits are 2k x 2k for RAM only maps ( I have no clue what that means) but on exporting the heightmap it is at 2048 x 2048 with a count of 1 whenever you open in Photoshop...So 2k must me 2048 and 4m is HUGE...

Okay simple, go to View>ShowMap>Heightfield then File Export Active Map. Then chose RAW for the format. Got one question its has been like months since I have even touched the editor. I need to know what size should the color map be if the Heightmap is 1024 Scale of 1?

I havent received a email yet for a trial for the pro anyone else? This version it wont let you export 2048...

Okay fellas got it in the Editor. Looks wonderful the best so far..It took a bit for me to remember the correct sizes of the Colormap for a 1024 map in the Editor...and that the color map also has to be flipped vertically because the Editor reads it backwards just like the heightmap..Anyway here are two pics so far:

Preview12.jpg

Preview11.jpg

I just took the Colormap from L3dt exported it in 2048x2048 then resized it in PS..Worked great actually everything is aligned...Let me know if you need help in L3DT..I understand most of it but the Alpha maps is what I get stuck on..I think they are the Detail Maps in game????? Help me out here.

You could use BFTPaint... run Tpaint and just use the detailmaps that are generated... also your terrain looks really cool but you have to remember playability... if the vehicles and soldiers cant get around the map wont be very playable... nice find on the software... CB

Whenever I generate a new map, I can export the alpha channels... But when I load a heightmap file (had to export RAW to a PNG to get it to load), I get the following when I try to export the alpha channels for textures:

CMapWrap::SetPixel error

- invalid index

calc_TX_GetSpatTextureList error

- SetPixel failed for MiniAM

calc_TX_GetSpatTextureList error

- Calculation aborted prematurely

@Prophet: Have you imported a heightmap into this program and then tried to export the alpha channels for the textures? I just can't get it to work when importing the heightmap & then generating the map... Harrumph! It's what I was most excited about too.

@Catbox: I could use bf2_tpaint's detailmap... but it's limited to the first 3 channels... I was excited about something that could support the 6 channels. I tried bf2ecomap generator, but couldn't get it to do what I wanted, and always wound up with lots of non-textured areas in my map.

I'm liking what this does. But I also see that basically every heightmap is randomly generated. Now how can you adjust the heightmap after it's been generated? Or does that need to be done in the editor?

@Prophet. Those pics in th editor look good. Now is that just the the heightmap and the colormaps? How are you going to apply the textures? In tPaint or manually?

{Sn][per}ELI

I dont see you can adjust the heightmap itself. I might be better in the editor anyways. Also that was just the colormap and heightmap. I am going to use tpaint to do the details. I talked with the creator in his forums. You can use your own textures when creating it. Just rename them to what he has and place them in the approp directory where the program is. I got the email to get the pro so I am going to back to work on this and I will let you know the out come..

Hi Prophet,

Could you write a tutorial on how you get the heightmap and colormaps into the editor after you create the map in that program. It would be great if you could.

Regards

Ryuop

I figured out my problem with exporting the alpha maps when importing heightmaps into L3DT:

After importing the heightmap, you need to go to

Operations > Design Map > Generate from HF

After that, you can go back down the "Operations" train and the Alpha Maps should export without errors.

@Prophet

I’ve got L3DT pretty much mastered, too... This is an awesome program for map creation.

Only issue is with alpha channels (again!) for detail textures. I’ve tried a few things, but each time I try to export them, they default to 1024x1024. ---> Have you found a way to export the 3-color alphas to 4096x4096 to be split and used as detail maps?

Best solution I have found so far is to put both files into a photoshop file, group them as a smartobject, scale to 4096x4096, then ungroup & resave each layer. Just wondering if there’s something I’m missing.

May make a good addition to the requests page for the Pro Version when it comes out.

Well its going by the default of the heightmap that why its at 1024x1204. You could possibly resample the Heighmap to 4096 but dont know much time that would take then go through all the steps then generate your alpha map. After that close it without saving the project. Or just change the detail maps in Photoshop it worked pretty good for me in PS. Thats the only solution I know of ATM.

import tool :?: :?: :?: I never knew there was an import tool. Never heard of it until just now...hmm Is there a tutorial on using this tool? Guess I will search for it.