Official BF Editor Forums
OCTheEagle

11 things of wisdom (Tips & Tricks for Mappers)

After making 3 maps and reading the tips and tricks at this forum I made a 11 things of wisdom list. Just some small tips and tricks which are handy to know.

1: When changing the absolute positions of a object, don't use the delete key to delete a number because that will make the editor crash 80% of the time. Instead, use the backspace key in order to delete a number. (see screenshot below)

ps.jpg

2: Rendering lightmaps on the highest (full) settings takes about 12 hours on a 1024x 2 map. This is dependant on the amount of objects included in the map. Medium settings take about 6 hours, low settings take about 1 a 2 hours.

3: Partially flying objects MAY cause the map to crash ingame if you or a bot tries to crawl underneath the building. Make sure all the corners of a building are connected with the ground.

4: When opening heightmapprimary.raw in photoshop, use the following settings:

- Channel counts = 1

- Depth = 16 bits

- Byte order = IBM pc

5: In order to get the carrier object into your map

- Open dalian plant map (made sure you extract the client.zip and server.zip first)

- Select all the carrier object pieces.

- Rightclick -> save object bundle

- In your map, rightclick on the place where you want the carrier to be placed

- Choose objectbundles and choose the carrier.

- Choose 'stamp' and then choose 'align' at the right side of the screen

- Voila, carrier!

6: Ambient effects will only work if you manually place the ambientobjects.con into your server.zip file (the editor doesn't do that).

7: Make a shortcut on your desktop so the editor automatically loads your custom map. The shortcut should look like something like this:

c:program filesea gamesBattlefieldF2BF2Editor.exe +loadmod bf2 +loadlevel MAPNAME

MAPNAME should be the name for your map.

Please note there's a little catch (using this method) with the overgrowth.

When you perform the following steps:

- Load the map using the specified shortcut

- Choose 'Render' -> 'draw overgrowth'

Then the overgrowth doesn't appear. To make them reappear you have to switch to terrain editor -> choose 'edit overgrowth' -> change a value from an overgrowth type (doesn't matter which one).

8: Render the FULL lightmap settings ONLY if you're sure that everything is on it's place. It's better if you choose medium settings first and if that's okay, do the full settings.

9: Rendering the full lightmap settings with primary and secundary selecterd, will make the water on the primary and surrounding maps look good.

10: Only make the navmesh if everything is done, changing/replacing objects after making a navmesh may make your map unstable. Making a navmesh takes about thesame time as rendering the full lightmaps.

11: Create a map with thesame settings as the map you're making called 'test'. . If you (for example) mess up the lightmapsettings then you can copy the lightmapsettings from the test map and overwrite the existing files in your selfmade map.

Moved to User Tutorials. Good work OCTheEagle and thank you ! I edited the title a bit for a better description. Gee, i didn't know the ambienteffects.con bug ...

12. after you pack your map, you can delete the object lightmaps. But dont delete the LightmapAtlas.dds files and the LightmapAtlas.tai file. This reduce the size (pack) of my last map from 80 MB to 60 MB.

] Gee, i didn't know the ambienteffects.con bug ...

Yes this is the case, I use _BF2_Pack_v03.zip

It does the job better than the editor pack map/mod feature, and about twice as quick.

I'm not sure why Medium settings takes you 6 hours, medium settings has never taken me more than 20 - 30 minutes. And navmeshes never take me more than 30 minutes. I only have an Athlon XP 1600+

[EDIT] I also dont get the Overgrowth not appearing problem when using the map load shortcut. Maybe because I have Level Editor as my startup plugin.

Augustus]I'm not sure why Medium settings takes you 6 hours, medium settings has never taken me more than 20 - 30 minutes. And navmeshes never take me more than 30 minutes. I only have an Athlon XP 1600+

[EDIT] I also dont get the Overgrowth not appearing problem when using the map load shortcut. Maybe because I have Level Editor as my startup plugin.

Navmeshes never take more than 30 minutes? Medium lightmapsettings take 30 minutes? Where can I buy that pc you mentioned?

:D

Augustus]I'm not sure why Medium settings takes you 6 hours, medium settings has never taken me more than 20 - 30 minutes. And navmeshes never take me more than 30 minutes. I only have an Athlon XP 1600+

Navmeshes never take more than 30 minutes? Medium lightmapsettings take 30 minutes? Where can I buy that pc you mentioned?

:D

As I said, I only have an Athlon Xp 1600+.

Jilted says Medium lightmaps are super quick for him too.

Hey guy, got a prob with that shortcut.

I create a shorty on me desktop - "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2Editor.exe +loadmod bf2 +loadmap Enemy"

And it says invalid path or summin but it's dead on.

Is it the right syntax or summin?

Your end quotation is in the wrong place.

Change:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2Editor.exe +loadmod bf2 +loadmap Enemy"

To:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2Editor.exe" +loadmod bf2 +loadmap Enemy