Official BF Editor Forums
killinscuds

L3dt Video Tutorial

Below is a link to a Tutorial that will take you "soup-to-nuts" through using L3DT to create a primary heightmap, colormap, detailmaps, undergrowth and overgrowth files for use in the Battlefield 2 Editor.

First, a few DISCLAIMERS:

• o This is my FIRST tutorial. As such, I'm sure there are errors & omissions through it. If you find any (other than those mentioned below) please post here so that others can reference it.
    o I've replaced the background image in the BF2 editor with a picture of Johnny Cash showing how he feels when the editor crashes. Hopefully this does not offend you.
    o My voice is deathly monotone. You may want to take frequent breaks while watching this tutorial, or use it as a sleep aid. I tried to get the professional voice over guy from NBC, but he was busy promoting the next prime-time sit-com to fail after less than one season.
    o There are two known errors in the tutorial
    • - I forgot to flip a few files vertically. While preparing the tutorial, I worked the steps during rehearsal and forgot to reset the files I worked on. When I perform the steps in the tutorial, I flip the already-flipped file and revert it back to its original state. This is addressed in the outtro of the video, and you can see a sample of the map in the editor with the corrected files.
      - When replacing the "overgrowth.raw" file, you should overwrite the file in the "overgrowth" directory, not the main directory of your level. I believe this is omitted in the video
      - During undergrowth/overgrowth material creation, I actually stopped recording when explaining the creation, and then resumed recording at a "skip through time" area, so the generation of OG/UG is hard to follow, as there is no audio, and materials are created rather quickly to fill the undergrowth/OverGrowth slots.

L3DT Video Tutorial Link:

OLD LINK:

NEW LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?b0k3kpqnx2x

TIMELINE:

• 00:00 Intro
    00:52 Map Creation Methods in L3DT
    02:50 "Design/Inflate" Method
    07:40 3D Map Preview using L3DTViewer
    09:20 Exporting Heightmap & Colormap
    10:46 Exporting Detailmaps
    13:00 Exporting Under/Overgrowth
    15:05 Photoshop: Heightmap
    16:05 Photoshop: Colormap
    17:00 Photoshop: Detailmap(s)
    20:40 Photoshop: Adjust detailmap RGB to 255
    23:10 Photoshop: Overgrowth/Undergrowth RAW Files
    30:05 BF2_Tsplit: Splitting Colormap & Detailmap(s)
    33:00 BF2e: Prep the Map
    33:42 BF2e: Transfer Heightmap, Colormap, Detailmap to Level
    35:15 BF2e: Assign Detail textures
    36:55 BF2e: Address the "read only Bug"
    39:05 BF2e: Generate Low-detail textures
    40:34 BF2e: Assign Undergrowth/Overgrowth
    46:10 Outtro & "Oops" Explanation

Enjoy!

Edited by killinscuds

Thank You Killinscuds, I'm going to check it out now also.

o My voice is deathly monotone. You may want to take frequent breaks while watching this tutorial, or use it as a sleep aid.
LOL....

Nice tutorial, an amazing piece of software.

The only dificulty I had was figuring out the scale seeing as the beta evalutation version that I used is a little different, so no probs with your tutorial just my version.

Few questiond that i need help with this tut its great yes but need a few more details that i have missed

underovergrowth_Alpha what am i suppost to do with all six he starts explaining it then suddenly he has only 2 (What am i suppost to do with the 6)

also where would i find a bf 2 color palette

ty very much

This is much more difficult to do with the trial. I can only export 1 channel (8 bit) detail maps and can only generate 2 times high detail texture maps. I've emailed the guy so he will hopefully get backt o me soon :)

Also, could you please post the .act file you used for the rgb pallet please?

Great video tut mate. Goodjob. :D

Edited by Cold Fussion

Bloody hell. i try and load the map in the editor and it crashes. No idea why

EDIT: what a noob. I Deleted the heightmap primary instead of copying it over :rolleyes: false alarm.

Edited by Cold Fussion

thats a neat little tool there, the only problem is that my finished terrain looks ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like what it was in L3DT <_< But still, the terrain still works and looks great :)

Few questiond that i need help with this tut its great yes but need a few more details that i have missed

underovergrowth_Alpha what am i suppost to do with all six he starts explaining it then suddenly he has only 2 (What am i suppost to do with the 6)

also where would i find a bf 2 color palette

I only used two (2) of the alpha maps for under/overgrowth just for simplicity, instead of doing all 6.

You can use the same method for all 6 alpha maps that I show with the 2 that are in the video.

Just assign those alpha maps to a different RGB value (1,1,1 or 2,2,2 or 3,3,3, etc...) and they should separate inside of the editor.

Best advice I can give is to take lots of notes during the map creation process to keep track of what alphas you want to be which type of under/overgrowth.

The six layers (or however many you want to use) will provide a good base for over/undergrowth, and then you can paint more layers (for a total of 15) after placing statics & building your map up a little more.

Photoshop pallete is in the post above.

Sorry for the delay, all... With the site being down & me out of the country for a little while, it's taken me a bit to get back to this thread (I guess my preference to monitor got wiped with the new forum software).

Link to RGB 255 Photoshop ACT file:

http://files.filefront.com/BF2_Detailmap_P...;/fileinfo.html

Thx a lot m8

bumpy, link seems to be dead?

Yep... sorry. Apparently both links in this thread are dead. I'm looking through my archives to see if I have the original files, but don't hold y'all's breath. Moved away from BF2 development into Unreal Tournament.