Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tweekbee

Two Texture Problems(Pics included)

My map has some big hills, lots of buildings, 4 forest areas, its a large map anyway and I have all 9 heightmaps enabled.

When I did my light maps on medium settings before i placed the buildings and textured the heightmaps it took around 45mins. so maybe the estimate was wrong when it was set to full as i was only on it for about 30seconds before cancelling.

Yep;)

Was being funny but hopefully helpful at the same time.

perhaps a better way to put my answer would be that you want to generate lightmaps for the surrounding meshes so that you don't notice a line dividing the sections where the shadows just end. It may or may not be noticeable depending on your map.

Yea the only time you might not have to do it would be where the playingCombat area did not reach the edges of the primary heightmap.

This is still a major issue. I've tried creating a number of maps and I always get stuck as soon as "the lines" appear. As soon as I render the light, these lines show up. It doesn't matter what I do, they won't go away. I've tried every possible combination of the light settings and nothing helps. The map seems to be divided in 4 chunks with various aligning problems in between them. A road, for example, might look ok in the editor but in-game it's not aligned where the chunks of the map meet up.

This is driving me nuts as I was really looking forward to making maps.

dose any 1 know how i can solve my texture problem:

My textures seem to look the same as they do in the edito as in when you move away they just become a nice simapl blodge of crap and i have had this problem on all the maps ive made sofar.

Here is just some pics ive selected out of it:

on the 1st one when im up close to the cliff the texture looks nice and all is fine.

screen1198rm.jpg

But on the 2nd pic when you move away from the terriain the texture just goes into a big blob and also on the cliff the bottom of it seems to move up for some odd reason.

screen1181es.jpg

You can also see some more blob texture over the the right on the slope and the untextured cliff with only a sand texture at the mo.

any 1 know how i can fix this :wink:

Guys those lines you are seeing are the borders of the planes in your map. The map is made up of many planes, just compile your lightmaps with the final setting checked and they are gone. (can take a while)

I prevent I don't have the answer to that last problem, but I've the same problem, and I'm looking for answers too !

To my own, the pic you put above is showing the checker texture on the ground that U have when ground is untextured in the editor. And for the water problem, I dunno, but it seems there are some answers in this forum, about the line separating dark(far) n clear(near) color.

So, for the texture checker problem, what can be the causes ?

1) ungenerated low texture ?

2) (if using, like in my case, custom details maps) are the RVB colors the good ones ? I mean do they (green, red, n blue) must be a precise code (R=123, V=56, B=94 for exemple) so if they aren't, the textures will appear a little transparent ?

3) is it coz lightmaps haven't been generated yet ?

4) or is it coz of the sun/terrain lightening setup ? (position of the sun, specularity, etc ) ?

Thx to help us again ^^

And plz correct me if I'm heading/thinking the wrong way , thx all :D

PS: I have some several pics, but dunno how to post em or a link via http or URL, me a web-noob, sry but I'd apreciate if someone has a link explaining how this work, could be nice ^^

sry, was talking about rad crazer pic on page 1, haven't pay attention that there were 3 pages, I'm gonna read the entire thread to find answers, but my questions would like to be answered if they aren't in this post ! anyway, me gonna read this right now

sry for the mistake :oops:

Guys those lines you are seeing are the borders of the planes in your map. The map is made up of many planes, just compile your lightmaps with the final setting checked and they are gone. (can take a while)

Not true. Just compiled the lightmaps on Final and they still show. I do not have "nearest" selected, either.

I've tried to crack this problem for the last two weeks with little success but what I have learned is the following.

The lines appear along all plane/slice boundaries even if all those colormaps align perfectly in the editor and ingame colormap folders.

You can create tiles of 516x516 pixels and resize back to 512 before dumping them into the editor/colormap folder to introduce a 2 pixel overlap (difference between texture and detail textures scaling!) This could be the offset some people are refering to. However the lines are still there!

There's no mismatch with the detailtexture, its only the colortexture and it looks like an inverse shadow on each side of the line. Dark on one side, light on the other.

Rendering lightmaps doesn't seem to help. Although I haven't run the full 3hr render with the downloadable 700meg lightmap files.

The only thing else I can think of is some kind of offset/scaling value in the editor somewhere for the terrain tiles or something that defines how the detail textures are processed or interact with the final lightmap ingame!

Apart from that I'm clean out. :-(

those lines are there because DICE forgot to have the Editor TILE the color maps properly...if you guys havent noticed that whenever your painting and everything is going okay then all of a sudden the painting slows down, thats because is switching from one quad to another and you can see those lines....DICE NEEDS TO FIX THIS IN THE EDITOR so the color texture, detail textures, etc...tile correctly....Same concept I had to use in making terrains for JO...In Photoshop you had to offset then blur the heightmaps so it would tile correctly...this is the same for colormaps also...

I think Prophet and sniper dog are close. My slant on this is that Battlecraft did away with this problem when you created surface maps it would blendblur the texturecolormap tiles 2-3 pixels to hide this tiling effect. Bf2 does not do the surface map thing so the seam is showing where the tiles meet. As to why one side would be darker than the other I dunno.

Prophet

The lightmaps you generate using the samples files you DL have nothing to do with the terrain. These are for objectlightmaps not Terrainlightmaps.

I seen something simular to that when I tired to tweak my light settings . I didn't do so good and since I wanted my map to look something like Operation_Clean_Sweep I just copied the sky.con to my maps folder worked like a charm since I could not seem to get the fog and colors to look good but on some settings I did see lines like those .