Official BF Editor Forums
Rexman

3dsmax Tool - Download (June 10, 2006)

Download (1.7 MB):

http://rex3d.net/bf2/files/3dsmax/bf2_3dsmax_10Jun2006.zip

For use with 3dsmax5.1 and higher (tested up to 3dsmax8)

Installation Instructions:

- Unzip to the contents of the .zip file to your 3dsmax directory, overwrite existing files

- If installing for 3dsmax5 then copy the plugins from the zip folder marked "max5" instead normal plugins

Un-install:

- Use 3dsmax's GUI configuration to remove the "BF2" menu from the 3dsmax interface

- Manual file removal required, check the .zip for which files were included in the install, none replace existing 3dsmax files so they are safe to remove

Bugs fixed with the June 10th, 2006 release:

- Performance bug fix for all geometry exporting, you will want to re-export all geometry with the new tools

Geometry includes: Collision, Staticmesh, SkeletalMesh

This bug caused faces to be duplicated when there was more than one material assigned.

Roughly the bug was this:

for each material
{
// Lots of code here doing important stuff

for each material
{
	Add this material's geometry to mesh
}
}

The fixed code now is this:

for each material
{
// Lots of code here doing important stuff
}

for each material
{
Add this material's geometry to mesh
}

Edited by Rexman

An example of what this does.

I have a mesh ingame that was weiging in at near 27000 tris and after the fix it went back down to 5600 tris (which is what max says it is).

Should be a huge performance gain for everyone useing max.

Very nice.One question though!

Can find any install notes for this plugin.Im useing 3ds max 8 so do i skip the files in the folder named

_max5??or do i just paste it in the plugins folder?

And regardnig the script and Maps folder... do i paste it in this dir..

3ds max8\Scripts\bf2\and all maps/files

3ds max 8\maps\fx\BF2_StaticMesh_A.fx

Also where do i put the _BF2Help folder?Can be open inside 3ds max right.Its just a desktop help?

Thanks alot!

Well just export everything to Max??what do i do with that map _max5?Shuld i manually put it in the plugins folder or is it useless if i run Max8?Is there any documentation coz i cant find any

Rexman, will this max fix correct the problem I was having with soldier body parts becoming detached when materials were set up like orginal dice soldiers.

Here is thread about problem:

http://bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3139&hl=

I think that it DOES solve the problem. But I still have much more testing to do.

Edited by [EoD]Vic

holy crap!...huge difference in poly count there jilted,im suprised how low that poly count is concidering all the handrails on that static..awesome static btw!

i found only one of my vehicles was effected by this bug,from 5000 polies to 10500 polies after export.

Bundledmesh for our Tiger tank went down from 4.4 MBytes to 2.7 Mbytes. Great stuff ! Thanks Rexman for still maintaining the code :D Any chance the gmax users can get that fix too ? Or were they never affected ?

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

' date='Jun 18 2006, 07:28 AM' post='41828']

Bundledmesh for our Tiger tank went down from 4.4 MBytes to 2.7 Mbytes. Great stuff ! Thanks Rexman for still maintaining the code :D Any chance the gmax users can get that fix too ? Or were they never affected ?

You're welcome!

Gmax users can get this fix by replacing their \Scripts\bf2\bin\ folder contents with \Scripts\bf2\bin\ from the new 3dsmax tools .zip archive.

I was wondering why our handweapons were in the 10,000 poly range when they were only like 2,500....nice fix....

How about that Animation fix that Vic pointed out...That would help me alot too...

However, there isn't a need to rush, cause I'm sure you got a life and all :P

The fix has worked for animations ,too afaik. I had this issue, but re-exporting the Kits and the soldier did work well and i never had the 'detached helmet' problem again (was a kit's problem here)

Your handweapon should only be mildly affected as most handweapons only have a very simple collisionmesh.

*just put everything in your max folder*

So helpful, I mean there is more to this exporter than that isnt there? I mean what about the paths? Raw data..whats that?

This isnt very helpful to anyone new to this, I was there once and I have long since given up do to posts like "just do this"..yeah right...