Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mavrik347

BF2?

If you load an already created model in ZBrush, you need the UVW already done. If you create it from scratch in ZBRush, it makes that part for you. It can be used in BF2 really for anything organic like players or foliage and again can serve to enhance an already existing model or make new ones from scratch. It sucks mighty balls for vehicles or architectural objects since it doesn't handle sharp edges or measurements. I also completely skip it when doing the color textures since Photoshop is king for that. It's best used to enhance models with normal maps.

Lately, I've been using it w/photoshop for all kinds of textures. I start in zbrush, then finish it in photoshop. Of course, I'm not using the features you would buy it for, but I'm just running off free trials for now and it's fun to play with.

BTW the free trial is for 30 days and you can request more time, so if you're interested, the trial is definately worth the DL.

You told me you did it in 5 min you smelly liar!

and yeah, zBrush is totally awesome for organic modeling, and its super-easy to import/export using .OBJ files.

and jilted, add the hump smiley to the smilies please.

You told me you did it in 5 min you smelly liar!

and yeah, zBrush is totally awesome for organic modeling, and its super-easy to import/export using .OBJ files.

and jilted, add the hump smiley to the smilies please.

PoE-Hump.gif??? lol, I made that, Ziggy added it to their site :P

I tried to have a go with this thing lol I can't get the hang of is, no vertex's etc to join, i just get confused hehe.

Croupier, I hear it's a nightmare working with that dude. I'm way better than that hack.

Mavrik, what you tryin to do with it? Zbrush is WEIRD! at first. Like, smash keyboard smash kinda weird. Trust me, I hated it for about 2 weeks and then POOF! I fell in love with it. I'd say it's perhaps the funnest program to use and yes, it can do everything you're thinking that it should be able to do. Take the time to learn it. Just stick with it and read up on it. There's plenty of resources on it and a lot of them run as Zscripts within Zbrush. Those are handy, but often they break and go off on a corrupt tangent. I think maybe some were captured on an earlier version or something. Either way, they're fast, but find the readable tutorials and read up on the beginner stuff first. The hardest thing is getting used to the navigation (which is unlearning Max's for the most part) and building patience with the fact that you don't have to click on the upper menu to pull the drop-downs down into your viewport and block your tools. Also remember there's 2 modes, sculpt and detail. You can't rotate in detail and the almighty god hotkey for ZBrush is "G".

Yeah it definitely takes some getting used to coming from a 3d app. The whole 'two and a half d' thing is quite different. Very cool application though. Most every recent industry 3d job post I've seen mentions it. Huge time saver for next gen content.

So yeah like Junk said, just go through as many tuts etc as you can, took me a while to get used to it too, and I still suck with it. The artist in action vids are great for obtaining that 'man i'm a total noob' feeling.

http://www.bfpirates.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=103

I've been getting pretty good results out of Zbrush for organic modelling. I was just describing zbrush the other day and I figured that it re-invents the wheel in pretty much the worst possible ways, but until mudbox and silo2 come out it is also our only real option. It works well, but due to that whole re-inventing the wheel thing, what pixologic thinks is intuitive and fast modelling is actually a huge technical pain in the ass. Bouncing back and forth between programs to tidy up low poly models and unwrap uvs will be an absolute requirement if you work with Zbrush.

So there you go ... it is both the best and worst program available for organic modelling.

But I still like using it :)