Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
[EACT]Adger

(Standalone) Ambient Sound explained

When creating an AmbientSound (the green standalone orbs; not the trigger-thingy) you get to fill in quite a bunch of parameters, some of them obvious, some rather mystic.

Here is what I learned so far. If I'm getting something wrong, please feel free to correct me and please add your knowledge, too.

SoundFilename - reads all soundfiles (.ogg tested, probably .wav and .mp3, too) from /Battlefield 2/mods/[your mod]/Objects/Effects/sounds/Ambient/ ("Ambient" since we are talking about AmbientSounds)

VolumeEnvelope - Tool for designing how the volume evolves over the time the sound is played. Caution! This Is Bugged!

PitchEnvelope - Tool for designing how the sounds' pitch evolves over the time the sound is played. Caution! This Is Bugged!

LoopCount - This defines the number of repeated plays. Zero means "play once when triggered". Default is one (which means "play twice")

MinDistance - The distance from the AmbientSoundObject (sort of a virtual speaker, the green orb you put in your level) to the player. When coming this close the sound is triggered.

HalfVolumeDistance - Probably the distance at which the sound is half as loud as defined under "Volume". Seems to be ignored (or I'm missunderstanding it)

Volume - (0 - 100) This defines the relative volume of the sound played in respect to the volume it is recorded at (in percent). 100 means "play it loud". Default is 100.

Pitch - The pitch of the sound. Default is one (play as recorded), the higher the value, the higher the pitch.

ReverbLevel - Default zero. Sort of an echo-effect. The higher the value the more reverb goes into the sound played. Great for simulating sounds in large halls etc. Default is zero.

Sound Radius - Probably the maximum distance the sound can be heared at (compare to MinDistance) but this function is probably bugged (always reset to zero regardless of input after reloading map) Default is zero.

LowSamples - Some statistics of the soundfile.

MediumSamples - Same as above.

Is3dSound - Most likely a switch (checkbox) for activating EAX / Surroundsound. If I'm not mistaken this only makes sense when the soundfile in question is recorded as a 3d-sound (most soundfiles are not, especially mp3) Default is "not checked"

StopType - zero means "stop after playing once"; one means "play forever". Other values and results unclear. Default is one. Needs more investigastion.

Pan - probably some kind of "blending"-function. Not yet totally clear. Default is 0.5

Position X/Y/Z - position of the soundsource in world coordinates.

ConeDirection X/Y/Z - When the sound is setup as a directional sound this defines the direction as seen from the position (see above) in which the sound is cast. Default is 0/0/1 (straight up)

ConeInnerAngle - in degrees, 0 - 360, defines the inner arc of a directional sound. Default 360. *)

ConeOuterAngle - in degrees, 0 - 360, defines the outer angle of a directional sound. Default 360. *)

*) These two angles should be defining the shape of the cone within which the sound is cast. "Should" because these values seem to be ignored.

ConeOuterVolume - The volume of the sound related to the ConeOuterAngle. Default is 1.

GlobalEffectLevel - Totally unknown.

VolumeGroup - By grouping ambientsounds you can adjust their relative volume by adjusting the volume of the whole group.

[EDIT]

While cloning via strg-"move-along-axis" won't work with these green orbs, selecting "Edit->copy" and "Edit->paste" works perfectly for duplicating these.

What does the specifics have to be for each file type?

.ogg keeps giving me wrong vendor errors.. I'm supposed to be useing 20030909 instead 200406somethingsomething..

.mp3 simply does not show up

And .wav keeps giving me static except for those two files, I managed to save in the right way, somehow..

I'll be fiddling with this a bit more, when I can find some time.

Cheers

Joe

Joe,

Yeah , you need Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20030909

Which is "vorbis-tools-1.0.1"

From www.vorbis.com below

WINDOWS Xp.

http://www.vorbis.com/files/1.0.1/windows/...1.0.1-win32.zip

Instructions:

Download above File and Extract it to C:BF2WorkingVorbis

Make those folders . (or just make Vorbis folder in any folder you want.

Then... You will see 5 *.exe files.

One of them is named OGGENC.exe

Put your *.wav files into this same folder next to EXE files.

Then drag your *.wav file onto the OGGENC.exe file and tap your foot for about 1 minute while it Encodes it..

You will see it encode on screen in Dos window.

Then Cut your new *.ogg file and tos it into your mod where you need it.

Hope this solves yours and everyones *.ogg problems.

*.MP3 Does not Encode this way.

First you must turn your MP3 into a Wav.

*.WAV 8 bit Mono should do it.

Sincerely, [RA] Sysopo

Yeah I found out about the .mp3 and the .wav files, and got them both working.

But to have .ogg files up and running, is something to shake a stick at mate, thanks Sys.

I owe you a pint.

Cheers

Joe

Adger]When creating an AmbientSound (the green standalone orbs; not the trigger-thingy) you get to fill in quite a bunch of parameters, some of them obvious, some rather mystic.

Here is what I learned so far. If I'm getting something wrong, please feel free to correct me and please add your knowledge, too.

SoundFilename - reads all soundfiles (.ogg tested, probably .wav and .mp3, too) from /Battlefield 2/mods/[your mod]/Objects/Effects/sounds/Ambient/ ("Ambient" since we are talking about AmbientSounds)

VolumeEnvelope - Tool for designing how the volume evolves over the time the sound is played. Caution! This Is Bugged!

PitchEnvelope - Tool for designing how the sounds' pitch evolves over the time the sound is played. Caution! This Is Bugged!

LoopCount - This defines the number of repeated plays. Zero means "play once when triggered". Default is one (which means "play twice")

MinDistance - The distance from the AmbientSoundObject (sort of a virtual speaker, the green orb you put in your level) to the player. When coming this close the sound is triggered.

HalfVolumeDistance - Probably the distance at which the sound is half as loud as defined under "Volume". Seems to be ignored (or I'm missunderstanding it)

Volume - (0 - 100) This defines the relative volume of the sound played in respect to the volume it is recorded at (in percent). 100 means "play it loud". Default is 100.

Pitch - The pitch of the sound. Default is one (play as recorded), the higher the value, the higher the pitch.

ReverbLevel - Default zero. Sort of an echo-effect. The higher the value the more reverb goes into the sound played. Great for simulating sounds in large halls etc. Default is zero.

Sound Radius - Probably the maximum distance the sound can be heared at (compare to MinDistance) but this function is probably bugged (always reset to zero regardless of input after reloading map) Default is zero.

LowSamples - Some statistics of the soundfile.

MediumSamples - Same as above.

Is3dSound - Most likely a switch (checkbox) for activating EAX / Surroundsound. If I'm not mistaken this only makes sense when the soundfile in question is recorded as a 3d-sound (most soundfiles are not, especially mp3) Default is "not checked"

StopType - zero means "stop after playing once"; one means "play forever". Other values and results unclear. Default is one. Needs more investigastion.

Pan - probably some kind of "blending"-function. Not yet totally clear. Default is 0.5

Position X/Y/Z - position of the soundsource in world coordinates.

ConeDirection X/Y/Z - When the sound is setup as a directional sound this defines the direction as seen from the position (see above) in which the sound is cast. Default is 0/0/1 (straight up)

ConeInnerAngle - in degrees, 0 - 360, defines the inner arc of a directional sound. Default 360. *)

ConeOuterAngle - in degrees, 0 - 360, defines the outer angle of a directional sound. Default 360. *)

*) These two angles should be defining the shape of the cone within which the sound is cast. "Should" because these values seem to be ignored.

ConeOuterVolume - The volume of the sound related to the ConeOuterAngle. Default is 1.

GlobalEffectLevel - Totally unknown.

VolumeGroup - By grouping ambientsounds you can adjust their relative volume by adjusting the volume of the whole group.

[EDIT]

While cloning via strg-"move-along-axis" won't work with these green orbs, selecting "Edit->copy" and "Edit->paste" works perfectly for duplicating these.

Are you sure about that directory?

updated Yep I was right you have the wrong directory. The editor looks for all sounds in modsbf2Objectssounds

best to use ogg files for best compression... :wink:

ooops sorry forgot to log in...lol

anyway I got every sound to play that I have tried so the directory I stated was correct. They can also be in subdirectories beyond the _root direct stated above...you wont hear the sounds until you save exit and restart the editor and reload your map..kinda buggy but it works great....

OK. Noob question. how do I get a sound to only play in a small area of the map? All of my sounds are triggered when you walk into the min distance area but they dont get softer as you walk away form them? Like If I say wanted to put sounds of rushing water near a creek? Thanks!

OK. Noob question. how do I get a sound to only play in a small area of the map? All of my sounds are triggered when you walk into the min distance area but they dont get softer as you walk away form them? Like If I say wanted to put sounds of rushing water near a creek? Thanks!

did anybody found a solution for this problem ? i think it has to do with HalfVolumeDistance. but its not working. i tweak this with a value 50% smaler then the MinDistance. but when i leave this area the sound stops one step behind this radius.

My Sounds folder is empty. ? ?

How to I get the sounds into that folder? Are they imported through the Mod manager in the editor. I've tried that with no luck ,so I'm hoping there is something else that has to be done.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anyone have any idea how to get the sound files into the sound folder?

I tried following the directions shown in this thread but my Sound folder is empty.

Help!

i want to make an echo-effekt like in the storagehall in dalian plant or dragonvalley (echoes the sound of the vehicles driving thrue...), but i canĀ“t find this effect in that levels ambientobjects.con.

Does anyone know how to do this? :?:

EDIT: solved this. thx 2 khrimson ;)

OK - I found ambient file sounds in the following folder:

Program Files/EA Games/Battlefield 2/mods/bf2/Common_Client.zip/Sound/LevelAmbients/**Individual Map Folders**

I then copied all the sounds from these 12 individual map folders into my folder. There are 150 individual sound files now in the folder listed below. There are actually more files but a number of them are duplicates and vary only in size of the file. I coipied them all to this folder:

Program Files/EA Games/Battlefield 2/mods/bf2/objects/objects/sounds

The files now show up in the editor and I can hear them both during map play and in the editor after saving, closing, re-opening and reloading the map (boy that takes a while).

So my questions are these:

1. Will these sounds play for anyone who has the map (assuming anyone wants it when I'm done - :lol:

2. Will anyone who donwloads the finished product have to copy the sound files to their "mods/bf2/objects/objects/sound" folder or are they somehow saved with the map files?

3. Is this the correct way to get the sounds into the folder for the editor to read them?

4. When I get my (pre-paid) copy of BF2 Special Forces (due for release here in Canada on 17 November), will I have to go through the same folders and copy any new sounds into my "mods/bf2/objects/objects/sound" folder?

ok theres probably a simple way to do this, but how do I turn my MP3 files into .wav :oops:

edit: nevermind I found a way, but its not appearing in my folder, Ill have to do more searching

edit edit:working fine now :D

Here's some nitpicking. Note that I haven't tested this but this is judging from my experience with vehicle sounds.

Is3dSound - this is probably if the sound should be treated as a locational sound, ie coming from a source. Turning off this for vehicles will make the sound play at any distance.

StopType - 0 is once, 1 is loop the whole sample, 2 is loop at markers set inside the sound file.

Pan - probably left/right speaker orientation. not applicable for an ambient sound though.

ConeInnerAngle

ConeOuterAngle

- they do work, however not as expected, ie it makes a difference with some settings.