• Announcements

• Detrux

Site Relaunched   10/13/2016

Welcome back to BFEditor.org! We've upgraded the forum software, removed the spammers, and improved security. Apologies for the downtime! Det
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
emperorchuck

How to get your Plugins Working

38 posts in this topic

So! Everyone is encountering the same errors I did, but I managed to get Maya 6.0.1 talking to the editor, and it actually works as you can see from the pic:

editor9yr.jpg

Never mind the horrid textures and flipped polys; I'm in a rush to show this. It works. Now, here's exactly how I did it. I have simplified what I did as it was very much a trial-and-error process. I will assume you will be using the mod tutorials EA has kindly provided us, and following them in order and to the letter (at least until you're familiar with the process).

First. I did a default install of Battlefield 2. This means, installed to C:Program FilesEA GamesBattlefield 2

Second. I did a default install of the BF2 editor.

Third (actually pre-first) I did a default install of Maya 6.0.1.

Fourth, I ran C:Program FilesEA GAMESBattlefield 2mayaMaya ToolsCg_1.2.1_Setup.exe and did a default install.

With the programs all in place, I arranged the Maya plugins thusly:

C:Program FilesEA GAMESBattlefield 2mayaMaya ToolsPlugins and ...Scripts both go in the C:Documents and SettingsUsernameMy Documentsmaya6.0 folder. I had some issues with Maya not finding the proper versions of cgfxshader.mll, ProgressiveMesh_Release.mll, and MayaParser60.mll, so I copied everything in the Plugins directory to the Scripts directory as well. (This seems to have fixed the problem with the "compiled against too old a version" error we're all having. My guess why? The programs all look for these files in Scripts but they're in Plugins. A nonexistent file doesn't exist, and a null may well count as "too old")

C:Program FilesEA GAMESBattlefield 2mayaMaya ToolsIcons goes in the C:Documents and SettingsUsernameMy DocumentsMaya6.0prefs folder. (No more "Error: File not found: dnyBaseSm.bmp")

After copying everything, open up C:Documents and SettingsUsernameMy Documentsmaya6.0Maya.env with a text editor such as Wordpad, and add two lines which say:

MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH = C:Documents and SettingsUsernameMy Documentsmaya6.0scripts

MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = C:Documents and SettingsUsernameMy Documentsmaya6.0Plugins

Then, once you've copied everything into the appropriate locations and edited Maya.env, start up Maya 6.0. In the WindowSettings/PreferencesPlug-in ManagerOptions dialog pop-up, click on Loaded and Auto-Load next to cgfxShader.mll.

Now, fire up the editor and do tutorials 1 through 3. Prior to starting number 4, follow the instructions in Tutorial 4Tutorial FilesReadMe.txt. After copying all the files and folders from the Tutorial Files folder to your bf2editorRawData directory, make sure you open the NEW file you just copied. Should be obvious, but hey. It took me a couple tries to remember ;)

Upon completing Tutorial 4, do the obvious thing and proceed to 5. Double-check your new file structure just to be sure that C:Program FilesEA GamesBattlefield 2bf2editorRawDataObjectsStaticObjects_MyBase01 has both a My_Bunker and textures folder with files, that your work from Tutorial 4 is actually in My_Bunker and the textures it refers to are in textures.

By the end of Tutorial 5, you should have a pretty little bunker to play with. I decided to be sneaky, and repeated this process with a building I made last week in anticipation of all this hoopla (see above picture) and was obviously successful. The sharp-eyed among you may also recognize the cute little bunker sitting next to it.

Did I miss anything? Does it work for you, or do you encounter errors? Let's see if we can't get this working for everyone.

When do you encounter the errors? What step, which part of which tutorial?

This just occurred to me; you're getting the errors when you try to load mayaparser60.mll and ProgressiveMesh_Release.mll through Maya's plugin manager, correct? From what I can tell, neither of these plugins is intended for the user to run within the Maya environment. They seem to be associated with two batch commands, mayaparser60.exe (in the Battlefield 2maya folder) and LOD-o-matic.exe (there's a reference to something sounding like that in the readme file included with the plugins and scripts) which I have never seen.

If you can't load these two plugins in Maya, it should still work fine. I can't load them either, and it works for me. Mayaparser.exe is run when you select File/Import in the Editor, NOT in Maya, and it looks suspiciously like a number of other batch commands I've seen for Maya which work just fine without loading Maya first.

You can successfully follow all the steps in Tutorial 4 without loading either mayaparser60.mll or ProgressiveMesh_Release.mll. Try moving on to Tutorial 5 once you have the bunker, and see if importing works.

Yes, the BFE and Maya REALLY does not like it you don't have an identical set up to the DICE folks. Unfortunately I can't do that on my computer, my C partition (emergency OS boot partition) is too small to hold both Maya and BF2.

I've tried duplicating the obvious folders that I can to the C drive and such and I can get past some of the hard code path issues but I'm currently stuck on "Error: Cannot find procedure "AEcgfxShaderTemplate" after I assign a cgfx texture and try to edit it to apply textures.

I also get this error:

Error: source "C:/Program files/Alias/Maya6.0/bin/plug-ins/cgfxShader_initUI";

When I load the cgfx plugin.

I'd love to be able to use Maya but it looks like its Max for now. Plus frankly the export/no import needed process for Max is considerably easier.

So! Everyone is encountering the same errors I did, but I managed to get Maya 6.0.1 talking to the editor, and it actually works as you can see from the pic:

editor9yr.jpg

Never mind the horrid textures and flipped polys; I'm in a rush to show this. It works. Now, here's exactly how I did it. I have simplified what I did as it was very much a trial-and-error process. I will assume you will be using the mod tutorials EA has kindly provided us, and following them in order and to the letter (at least until you're familiar with the process).

This just occurred to me; you're getting the errors when you try to load mayaparser60.mll and ProgressiveMesh_Release.mll through Maya's plugin manager, correct? From what I can tell, neither of these plugins is intended for the user to run within the Maya environment. They seem to be associated with two batch commands, mayaparser60.exe (in the Battlefield 2maya folder) and LOD-o-matic.exe (there's a reference to something sounding like that in the readme file included with the plugins and scripts) which I have never seen.

If you can't load these two plugins in Maya, it should still work fine. I can't load them either, and it works for me. Mayaparser.exe is run when you select File/Import in the Editor, NOT in Maya, and it looks suspiciously like a number of other batch commands I've seen for Maya which work just fine without loading Maya first.

You can successfully follow all the steps in Tutorial 4 without loading either mayaparser60.mll or ProgressiveMesh_Release.mll. Try moving on to Tutorial 5 once you have the bunker, and see if importing works.

I encounter the errors when trying to initialize the 2 plugging.

// Error: Plug-in, "MayaParser60" was compiled against too old a version of the Maya API and is thus incompatible with the current Maya version. (MayaParser60) //

// Error: Plug-in, "ProgressiveMesh_Release" was compiled against too old a version of the Maya API and is thus incompatible with the current Maya version. (ProgressiveMesh_Release) //

I don't know why these plugins would not be required. The 2 files are .mll files, this would point me to believe that they are supposed to be loaded as usually a plug-in is loaded in Maya. I followed you're setup exactly, as well as the Dice user setup instructions. The other thing is the shader tools and various other scripts like DICE.mel ect do not function fully. The BF shader tool in Maya does not function. And this is a due to procedures missing. I would venture to guess that this would be because the 2 plugins are not loaded which are required as stated in Maya install instructions.

Why these to .mll would not be required but there be instructions on loading and setting up the Maya dev environment I don't know then. In what way does the Maya > bf tool pipe function then. Because no instructions are presented that would make that obvious. In fact this setup is almost identical to the plugins for the engine we have at work.

I will look over the tutorial w/o the plugs and see if I can find what the missing steps/pipe is.

keep up the good work

Yes' date=' the BFE and Maya REALLY does not like it you don't have an identical set up to the DICE folks. Unfortunately I can't do that on my computer, my C partition (emergency OS boot partition) is too small to hold both Maya and BF2.

I've tried duplicating the obvious folders that I can to the C drive and such and I can get past some of the hard code path issues but I'm currently stuck on "Error: Cannot find procedure "AEcgfxShaderTemplate" after I assign a cgfx texture and try to edit it to apply textures.

I also get this error:

Error: source "C:/Program files/Alias/Maya6.0/bin/plug-ins/cgfxShader_initUI";

When I load the cgfx plugin.

I'd love to be able to use Maya but it looks like its Max for now. Plus frankly the export/no import needed process for Max is considerably easier.

quote']

But what is that setup? If this is infarct true. Then Dice/EA has distributed erroneous information as to how there work environment is setup. Or there is some hard coded path that is not mentioned as relevant. I don't have a problem with the cgfx plugins which load fine.

Mayaparser is used when you import the file into the editor, not needed in maya.

The progressive mesh plugin seems to be an old plugin stuck in the tools by accident.

// Error: Plug-in, "MayaParser60" was compiled against too old a version of the Maya API and is thus incompatible with the current Maya version. (MayaParser60) //

// Error: Plug-in, "ProgressiveMesh_Release" was compiled against too old a version of the Maya API and is thus incompatible with the current Maya version. (ProgressiveMesh_Release) //

I don't know why these plugins would not be required. The 2 files are .mll files, this would point me to believe that they are supposed to be loaded as usually a plug-in is loaded in Maya. I followed you're setup exactly, as well as the Dice user setup instructions. The other thing is the shader tools and various other scripts like DICE.mel ect do not function fully. The BF shader tool in Maya does not function. And this is a due to procedures missing. I would venture to guess that this would be because the 2 plugins are not loaded which are required as stated in Maya install instructions.

Why these to .mll would not be required but there be instructions on loading and setting up the Maya dev environment I don't know then. In what way does the Maya > bf tool pipe function then. Because no instructions are presented that would make that obvious. In fact this setup is almost identical to the plugins for the engine we have at work.

I will look over the tutorial w/o the plugs and see if I can find what the missing steps/pipe is.

keep up the good work

Mayaparser is used when you import the file into the editor, not needed in maya.

The progressive mesh plugin seems to be an old plugin stuck in the tools by accident.

keep up the good work

Ok this is making more scenes sort of. Why would they have the Maya plug/script paths set in the Maya.env file then, or even have maya .mll plugins.

Ok next I will look into why the bf shader tools are not functioning.

Ok this is making more scenes sort of. Why would they have the Maya plug/script paths set in the Maya.env file then, or even have maya .mll plugins.

Ok next I will look into why the bf shader tools are not functioning.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, the two .mll files in question are used only by the editor's batch tools, which run as a sort of visible back-end that we don't control. However, there are a number of other plugins (dnyUVPanel for example) which do use the paths. I think they just threw everything together quickly. It is still semi-beta, after all.

I'll look into this too as soon as I get home from work. I can't exactly look through my files at the moment :)

Ok everything is working so far. How far am I?

I ran into an error when using the assign key in the DiceNY UV Editor.

/ Error: cgfxShader internal error 134 with args: -e -fx C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/Battlefield 2/maya/CGFX6.0/StaticMesh.fx cgfxShader2 //

The file requester when opened, points to the correct fx shader files.

Is CGFX6.0 hardware vendor dependant? I am running a v7100 with current drivers. Do you have to setup opengl in some specific way? I hope its not dependant on vendor specific gl extensions not handled properly by the competitor.

Any wisdom is appreciated

///////////

update:

So I solved part of the above problem. I had to copy AE Template.mel

files to the maya aetemplate dir.Now the cgfx shader ui is loading

properly like in the tutorial. But I get an new error after applying

the shader(using the diceny uv editor) to an object. The ui in the

cgfxShader1 node looks fine. The shader is not loading as a result

of the following errors.

cgfxShader -e -fx "C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/Battlefield 2/maya/CGFX6.0/StaticMesh.fx" cgfxShader1;

cgfxShader -e -fx "C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/Battlefield 2/maya/CGFX6.0/StaticMesh.fx" cgfxShader1;

workspace -q -rd;

// Result: C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/Battlefield 2/bf2editor/RawData/ //

// cgfxShader "cgfxShader1" loaded effect "C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/Battlefield 2/maya/CGFX6.0/StaticMesh.fx"

// Error: cgfxShader internal error 134 with args: -e -fx C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/Battlefield 2/maya/CGFX6.0/StaticMesh.fx cgfxShader1 //

setUITemplate -ppt;

// Result: NONE //

refreshAE;

listConnections -source true -destination false "cgfxShader1.outColor";

the important line i think is this

// Error: cgfxShader internal error 134 with args: -e -fx C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/Battlefield 2/maya/CGFX6.0/StaticMesh.fx cgfxShader1 //

again :P

How far am I?

Nearly there! After this, everything is straightforward grouping, naming, and organizing. The hurdle after this is Import in the editor.

Is CGFX6.0 hardware vendor dependant? I am running a v7100 with current drivers. Do you have to setup opengl in some specific way? I hope its not dependant on vendor specific gl extensions not handled properly by the competitor.

All the .fx stuff is based on DirectX, so it shouldn't depend on a specific manufacturer's equipment or drivers.

Looks like the same error as before your update. Same line of code, at least. All the StaticMesh.fx file does (as far as I can tell, not an expert) is describe another type of shader, like a lambert or blinn. I know I ran into a similar error with the assign key yesterday, but I can't quite recall what fixed it. Let me think about it. For now, try redirecting it to the staticmesh.fx file in Battlefield 2bf2editorShaders.

When you guys have sorted this out, please tell me.... I can't load anything..it just refuses to work...

You are correct that both errors are the same. but what i fixed was getting Maya to load the aetemplates properly.

So after i did that the bf cgfx shader node displays the correct data in Maya.

Before it was just the default cgfx shader framework.

The .fx files are the realtime shaders. These fx files contain all the different techniques. If I cannot load

them then i cannot use the bfshader interface in maya and have my files setup correctly.

How far am I?

Nearly there! After this, everything is straightforward grouping, naming, and organizing. The hurdle after this is Import in the editor.

All the .fx stuff is based on DirectX, so it shouldn't depend on a specific manufacturer's equipment or drivers.

Looks like the same error as before your update. Same line of code, at least. All the StaticMesh.fx file does (as far as I can tell, not an expert) is describe another type of shader, like a lambert or blinn. I know I ran into a similar error with the assign key yesterday, but I can't quite recall what fixed it. Let me think about it. For now, try redirecting it to the staticmesh.fx file in Battlefield 2bf2editorShaders.

the bf cgfx shader node displays the correct data in Maya. Before it was just the default cgfx shader framework.

The .fx files are the realtime shaders. These fx files contain all the different techniques. If I cannot load them then i cannot use the bfshader interface in maya and have my files setup correctly.

I guess I'm a bit lost here. So, the cgfx shader is applied to your model, and you can apply your diffuse, detail, and normal detail textures? If you can do that, it's ready for you to build the heirarchy and send it to the editor.

Or is it that you want to get the DICE tools working properly? It'd sure make things simpler if most of this was automated. However, danged if I can get them to work right for me. Setting everything up manually does work for me, though.

the bf cgfx shader node displays the correct data in Maya. Before it was just the default cgfx shader framework.

The .fx files are the realtime shaders. These fx files contain all the different techniques. If I cannot load them then i cannot use the bfshader interface in maya and have my files setup correctly.

I guess I'm a bit lost here. So, the cgfx shader is applied to your model, and you can apply your diffuse, detail, and normal detail textures? If you can do that, it's ready for you to build the heirarchy and send it to the editor.

Or is it that you want to get the DICE tools working properly? It'd sure make things simpler if most of this was automated. However, danged if I can get them to work right for me. Setting everything up manually does work for me, though.

Ok basically the info in the setup scripts/README.txt confused me as to the nature of the tool pipe for Maya and

setup. This line in particular.

"

* Make sure all the plugins you want to use are loaded.

Window->Settings/Preferences->Plug-in Mangager

And check auto-load for the plugins you want.

ProgressiveMesh_Release.mll is needed for the Lod-o-Magic tool.

"

This should say>>

* Next load the plugin you want to use.

Window->Settings/Preferences->Plug-in Manager

And check auto-load for the cgfxShader.mll.

Do not load or auto load the MayaParser60.mll, or the ProgressiveMesh_Release.mll.

These 2 plugins are needed for the Lod-o-Magic tool in the BF2 Editor.

I did not even get to the tutorials to understand this because I had not even

installed the tools yet, after following the above directions.

So almost everything is working at this point. I can import an object into the BF2 Editor.

However I get errors on the import. Somehow the texture paths are not working. They error out on load

with a message of not found even though the path is correct as far as I can tell. The object loads into the editor but displays with some

garbled white texture applyed to it. This is odd and hopefully

someone can see my error.

******* Import Started *******

execute: maya/mparser60.exe "C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/Battlefield 2/bf2editor/rawdata/Objects/StaticObjects/_MyBase01/My_Bunker/My_BunkerB.mb"

Move: [bf2editorrawdataobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01my_bunkermeshesmy_bunkerb.collisio

mesh] -> [modsMyModobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01my_bunkermeshesmy_bunkerb.collisionmesh] done.

Move: [bf2editorrawdataobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01my_bunkermeshesmy_bunkerb.samples] -> [modsMyModobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01my_bunkermeshesmy_bunkerb.samples] done.

Move: [bf2editorrawdataobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01my_bunkermeshesmy_bunkerb.staticme

h] -> [modsMyModobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01my_bunkermeshesmy_bunkerb.staticmesh] done.

Move: [bf2editorrawdataobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01my_bunkermy_bunkerb.con] -> [modsMyModobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01my_bunkermy_bunkerb.con] done.

Move failed. Could not find texture file: bf2editorrawdataobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01mybase01_c.dds

Move failed. Could not find texture file: bf2editorrawdataobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01mybase01_de.dds

Move failed. Could not find texture file: bf2editorrawdataobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01mybase01_deb.dds

******* Import Error *******

Move failed. Could not find texture file: bf2editorrawdataobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01mybase01_c.dds

Move failed. Could not find texture file: bf2editorrawdataobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01mybase01_de.dds

Move failed. Could not find texture file: bf2editorrawdataobjectsstaticobjects_mybase01mybase01_deb.dds

******* Import Completed *******

The other odd thing is the bf2 cgfxshader in Maya. I don't see the same thing. I don not know

if this is related or not but I assume that I should see the same thing as in the tutorial.

Here is an image depicting the difference to what I see.

mayacgfxshaderuidiference0yr.jpg

It seems the parser is looking in the wrong place for the texture files. They may have been moved after you set the cgfx shader paths in Maya. Check that your textures are in RawDataObjectsStaticObjects_MyBase01textures, and make sure the cgfx shader refers to their correct locations, then try importing it again. You'll still get errors, but it should come in with the correct textures.

It seems the parser is looking in the wrong place for the texture files. They may have been moved after you set the cgfx shader paths in Maya. Check that your textures are in RawDataObjectsStaticObjects_MyBase01textures, and make sure the cgfx shader refers to their correct locations, then try importing it again. You'll still get errors, but it should come in with the correct textures.

Ok now that you point this out I copied these files to that dir, and it worked. WOOT

wootimported3tg.th.jpg

Note: I changed the base UVs.

Ok so that means that the textures paths need modification I think.

What I did was this. I changed my Maya project path to

C:Program FilesEA GAMESBattlefield 2bf2editorRawData

This cases the path to the texture to begin with /objects.

Then I changed the path in the cgfxShader node for the textures

to point using the project(NO CHANGE FOR colorLut texture slot,

this appears to be some sort of specular utility texture).

NO errors.

I still have the same problem with the cgfx shader not displaying its

technique properly tho. Also the Maya gl viewport does not show the textures properly.

This is more of an irritation at this point. If this persists I can write scripts

to auto setup things my way. Besides any development I do will be in maya65 or 7.

Ok i guess i will write up excatally what I did. Only a couple things difer from your setup. Other than explaining properly what the maya .mll files are for specifically, and a few other things.

anyway thanks for the help.

Another thought why would they use .mb files in the first place. Why not just use .ma. Then all we need to do is hack the header for version number.

technique properly tho. Also the Maya gl viewport does not show the textures properly.

This is more of an irritation at this point. If this persists I can write scripts

to auto setup things my way. Besides any development I do will be in maya65 or 7.

Glad to finally see success! For a while there, I was worried I was the only one who could get this to work :D

Just so you know, I have similar problems with the cgfx shader panel being inconsistent. Still works, though. And yeah, I never see the textures in the viewport either.

Glad to finally see success! For a while there, I was worried I was the only one who could get this to work :D

Just so you know, I have similar problems with the cgfx shader panel being inconsistent. Still works, though. And yeah, I never see the textures in the viewport either.

Do you see the Technique properly displayed in in the cgfx node??

Thanks emperorchuck and Dethpod77

After reading your posts, I finally imported something into the object editor. I was almost ready to give up :D

Grats:)

So in the "Discussion Main" forum, did you all read the announcement titled "How to install the Maya tools?"

This covers pretty much everything you have been trying to figure out the hard way;)

If it doesn't, let me know what's still broke so I can get them to fix it.

Note: also read my other post in this forum "how to correctly set cgfx shader paths".

LBrown]So in the "Discussion Main" forum, did you all read the announcement titled "How to install the Maya tools?

Oh dear! I should certainly have used your instructions, except for the fact that this thread is older than that one by a solid 7 hours... and was based on earlier discussions. Otherwise yeah, would've used yours.