Official BF Editor Forums
solecist

PENETRATION!

alright, I can't quite figure out penetration.

how, exactly, do i make a material penetrable? more importantly, how do i decide which projectile types penetrate said material? for instance, if i wanted only 50 cal to penetrate something but not small arms fire, or if i wanted to make small arms fire penetrate SOMETIMES. is this possible?

also, i have managed to make some materials penetrable (i have no idea how), and i have noticed that once a bullet passes through an object it no longer seems to exist...ie, it doesnt seem to hit anything else, or at least it doesn't produce a particle effect or decal if it does so. is it possible to enable this or is this a shortcoming of the engine?

and one more question: if i made light armor, say for a jeep, penetrable, would it be possible to shoot the driver of a humvee THROUGH the door(or what have you)? the same applies for shooting the driver of an apc or a helicopter through the armor plating...is it possible? this would only be for 50 cal, of course.

thanks in advance, and sorry to be long-winded.

okay, i imagine i won't be getting a response for awhile so i might as well update. i found another interesting problem...when a bullet enters a penetrable object and exits it, both an entry and exit decal show up, but when it enters another penetrable object after it has already flown through one, ONLY the exit decal shows up.

for example, if i have 4 thin metal fences lined up behind eachother, the bullet would enter and exit the first fence, leaving bullet holes on both sides, then it would enter the next fence, leave NO entry hole, but have an exit hole. as the bullet continues so does this pattern...the decal only shows on exit. sheesh did they test this or what?

also, if i line up 100 penetrable fences the same bullet would travel through all of them with no slow down, regardless of the bullet type. yet again im not sure if this is a shortcoming of the engine or just a matter of tweaking some settings.

ps: how do i make bullet decals NEVER disappear? i cant figure this out.

how do i make bullet decals NEVER disappear? i cant figure this out.

ooops, didnt read the question right... i cant seem to delete the post

use a different material for the bullet. you'll prob want to make a custom one. material 39 (50 cal bullet) has this setting:

setDecalTemplate 0 decal_l_metalthin

duplicate this material but leave that out for all materials that 39 has (or the ones you care about)

Edited by kiff

I believe that it is an effect and therefore in the .tweak has a stat called "TimeToLive". Presumably if you set this to soemthing like 999999 seconds, you won't have any problems. And also presumably, it will delete itself if there are too many effects on the map. Otherwise, your framerate will surely pay a terrible price- there's a reason they make them dissapear.