Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Abort

Terrain Looking Funny Far Away.

Ok guys I'm kind of new to mapping with the BF2E but ive made maps for other games. I got a rendering problem. do you know when you move close to a mountain or hill, it starts to change shape a little bit? i think it has something to do with that stuff. ok heres my situtation. I have a dock area that goes around my carrier. I have dock models lined up to make a long walk way. take a look

sofhelp1copycr4.jpg

Now you can see some of the terrain come on top of the docks. Like its not rendering properly cause youre far away. It looks like crap actually. But when you move closer this happens.

sofhelp2fk1.jpg

Perfectly flattened wit the level tool. (It'll evetually but Tarmac. I just used T-Paint.)

Anybody know how to fix this? Should I lower the terrain just a little bit more aorund the docks so it doesnt show up thorugh the dock model when you are far away? Any thought on this would be appreciated. Thanks :lol:

Terrain morphing is just apart of the bf2 engine, not alot can be done about this. Think using the defaultlowdetailmaps from the vannila maps instead of the defalt one in the editor MAY help, but other than that not alot can be done, try shaping the terrain around the dock, so you see the morphing less.

'Catbox' date='Aug 12 2006, 04:00 PM' post='47211']

smooth the terrain... thats why you can see the jaggedy terrain... CB

Ask me if that worked. it didnt. It became all uneven and retarded. So I just leveled it back.

Edited by Abort

you can also try raising the docks... just do it from a distance(then you can see if it goes away)... Ive had the same problem with runways

and always make a backup copy of your map... CB

Abort, we have the same problem at places in our little mod, like prev posts saying it's not that much you can do about it, someone called the phenomena z-buffer fighting, graphics card doesn't know which polys is in front of the other, so you get a ugly shimmering especially if the area is big and flat(we've had problems with our sidewalks(statics)/terrain), like [TUF]Catbox says trying to raise docks will help and if you lower the terrain under the docks that'l help to

Cheers,

K.