Official BF Editor Forums
T[a]c0m

Need An Animation Scene Set Up

i've followed junk's tut's but i can't get my weapons animated properly. I'm surely doing something wrong... i haven't seen a tutorial that shows you how to add IK constraints to a soldier skeleton for animation. can someone show me how to do this. or send me a scene that works cause when i import an animation with junk's IK scene it get's all borked and goesn't work properly.

just kinda need to be sent in the right direction or something

Importing an animation in a IK scene will probably never work, as the IK should move the bones and not the keyframes you import.

Anyway, to add an IK, select the end of the limb you want to IK (wrist for example), then go to Animation->IK Solvers->HI Solver in the main menu. Then select the beginning of your limb (collar) and voila. A pointer helper is created at the wrist if all went well which you can drag along.

To have the IK follow another mesh, select the helper, then go for Animation->Transform Controllers->Link Constraint in the main menu and click on the thing you need the IK to follow, mesh1 for example. To have the wrist follow the weapon aswell, click on the wrist, then go for Animation->Constraints->Orientation Contraint in the main menu and click on the mesh1 object. Click on "Keep initial offset" (it's in the motion tab, after applying the contraint max should take you there automatically), to save the wrist from using the orientation of the mesh1 immediatly, but to apply it to its original rotation (or whatever happens, it works :)).

The rest is all explained by junks stickied thread (some of this too).

(Link to file, lots of popups afaik, although I block some, ads aswell, but it works)

File @ megaupload

Edited by Harry

Thanks Harry, that's absolutely correct. You cannot import an animation onto a rigged up skeleton. If your goal is to import animations, you should first delete the IK goal objects. It's actually better just to use the 3p skeleton import tool first and then import the .bafs.

I only want to correct one thing in what Harry said and that is you do not want to pick the collar bones to terminate your IK chains, rather you want to use the bicep. That way you can correct the arm by rotating the collar bone/which won't work if it's part of the IK and you'll have to keyframe the 'preferred angle' which is much harder.

Hmm nice tip, ill keep that one in mind. Indeed sometimes collar does stuff a collar shouldnt be able to do at all (read: going trough the neck etc).

if i have a weapon animation where the left hand holds a vertical foregrip (scarlight or G36) and want the left hand instead to hold the bottom of the gun (m4 or m16) how would i go about rotating the hand?

You should just select the wrist and rotate it with the rotation tool...but if you have it OCed then you will have to unlock it. (read junks tutorial, should be stickeyed at the top of forum)