Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Detrux

Inteview With Lars Gustavsson

Lars Gustavsson discusses the history of the BF franchise, here's an excerpt:

"We'd talked to Trauma Studios while they were making the Desert Combat mod. As a designer, I love talking to the modding community in general. I tend to look at games from the root up - from a designer's perspective - while they look from the surface and try to dig in and see what we intended to do. Having those two different perspectives makes it very interesting to discuss the game, so lots of meaningful discussions went on and we felt that those guys could definitely contribute.

They helped us a lot with prototyping. We wrote, designed and had lots of things we wanted to try out, so while our time was spent in Stockholm creating the new engine, we had these guys implementing our ideas into the old Battlefield 1942 code. They worked really hard, delivering a new build once or twice a week, which meant we had massive playtest sessions. It was a very good way of proving gameplay before we spent time implementing it into the new engine."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=146916

And,

You spend two-and-a-half years of your life working hard to make a good game, so to then have part of the game's reputation tainted with bugs was upsetting. That puts it high on the agenda of things to change.
Yet still no mention of backporting bugfixes from BF2142 to BF2? :rolleyes:

ctz' date='Oct 2 2006, 07:59 AM' post='51811']

And,Yet still no mention of backporting bugfixes from BF2142 to BF2? :rolleyes:

We are already looking into which fixes can be implemented without risk and which cannot.

Speaking with Lasse about game design is a real treat. I still geek out whenever we talk games.

geek out!...lmfao

i could really get into having a chat with you guys at dice,lots of cool idea's for future builds of the bf series(if it continues)...ive been building a list..lol..i know theres 2 things in the list that would make for some serious improvment to eye candy....just ask and ill give those 2 to you...lol

im so glad to hear you guys at dice are looking into some backporting.....just backport the whole engine..lmao..jk,most of us old skool bf42 modders only ported to bf2 cuz only a handful of peeps play bf42 still,oh and cuz bf2 looks and plays so much better.

all i want added is child pco's so i can make cruise missiles and a bunch of other cool remote toys...well most of us want and need child pco's.

hot damn i hope so. that way they can still keep bf2 alive. and not rely on 2142 to keep the battlefield franschise alive. cause i wont be buying 2142 for awhile. i'm gonna wait till they fix it. cause bf2 was a total flop to begin with. but now it's getting better.

I think it's important for them to realize (hope you're listening, Lars!) is that we gamers have many, many games on our hard drives and not just BF2.

So, for you to continue supoort for BF2 is very important, not just for us - but for your reputation as well.

We will continue to buy new games as they come out (we can't help it), but we need to know that when we buy a product that it will continue to receive support past its projected shelf life.

In other words, treat us right and we will make you rich men.

Yeah, I know. We're nuts. :D

Major engine changes are not going to be part of any retroactive patching. Fixes that have to do with client stability and hack protection are being review for additions to Bf2 but we need to make sure these changes wont impact anything else in the game.

so is the battlefield franchise going to continue after bf2142??

if so it would be a good idea to have a open discussion with modders about features to be added to future bf series,mainly so mods can have a wider variety of gameplay styles and gadgets.

im sure you guys at dice will be pleasently suprised what we modders can come up with.

so is the battlefield franchise going to continue after bf2142??

if so it would be a good idea to have a open discussion with modders about features to be added to future bf series,mainly so mods can have a wider variety of gameplay styles and gadgets.

im sure you guys at dice will be pleasently suprised what we modders can come up with.

Yes the Franchise will be continuing past 2142. :)

I will be trying to conduct some live conversations as time allows. Though these forums are a tool for exactly that. You may also harass detrux if you want to make sure my attention is drawn to a certain topic or point as he has alternate means to contact me.

Yes, more tweakable items extracted from the code would be excellent. Updated documentation would be nice too. :)

Demize99 has taken some time to update the current tutorials to give some more details on existing and new tweak items. So if you see him around send some love his way. :)

CKMC' date='Oct 3 2006, 07:52 AM' post='51878']

Major engine changes are not going to be part of any retroactive patching. Fixes that have to do with client stability and hack protection are being review for additions to Bf2 but we need to make sure these changes wont impact anything else in the game.

Glad to see you still around after the change over that happend yesterday. Anyway, what exactly can we look forward too? By chance is BF2 going to be optimized? I've noticed proformance issue's that patching has done. Version 1.0 seemed to run much more smoother then bf2's current state. I can only assume this is caused by boaster pack and expansion content?

Glad to see you still around after the change over that happend yesterday. Anyway, what exactly can we look forward too? By chance is BF2 going to be optimized? I've noticed proformance issue's that patching has done. Version 1.0 seemed to run much more smoother then bf2's current state. I can only assume this is caused by boaster pack and expansion content?

The change has not really had an impact here at DICE.

We have been unable to track down any key reasons some players have shown a decrease in performance. There have been reports from players that 1.4 made the game unplayable for them while others swear up and down that the game has been made anew with everything running better than ever before.

So short answer - no there are no planned new code changes for BF2. No risk retrofits using 2142 fixes are being reviewed but anything that goes back to BF2 has to be an honest no risk change.

I know one small thing that would be welcome and would have little impact, if any, on the performance and that is changing those little blue and green icons in the vehcile seats to icons reflecting the kits of the passengers in your vehicle. Or maybe putting the kit icon next to the names in the passenger list.

And thanks, Demize99 for the updates! :)

i need this question answered very clearly. is battlefield2 going to be fixed? or is EA giving up on BF2 and only working on 2142. just a simple "i don't know", "no", or "yes"

if bf2 is going to still be worked on and patched.... can we please get a friggn decent overgrowth generator... bf2's overgrowth sucks balls.

c0m' date='Oct 4 2006, 01:08 PM' post='51954']

i need this question answered very clearly. is battlefield2 going to be fixed? or is EA giving up on BF2 and only working on 2142. just a simple "i don't know", "no", or "yes"

if bf2 is going to still be worked on and patched.... can we please get a friggn decent overgrowth generator... bf2's overgrowth sucks balls.

No additions to the BF2 editor are planned at this time.

CKMC' date='Oct 4 2006, 02:03 PM' post='51959']

No additions to the BF2 editor are planned at this time.

LOL well at least the rest of the question could have been answered...

I would have to take that as a no then.

Take it as a yes, several other threads on this and other sites point to another patch for bf2 as well as increased mod support.

CKMC' date='Oct 4 2006, 08:12 AM' post='51945']

The change has not really had an impact here at DICE.

We have been unable to track down any key reasons some players have shown a decrease in performance. There have been reports from players that 1.4 made the game unplayable for them while others swear up and down that the game has been made anew with everything running better than ever before.

So short answer - no there are no planned new code changes for BF2. No risk retrofits using 2142 fixes are being reviewed but anything that goes back to BF2 has to be an honest no risk change.

Well, thank you for your honesty. I guess its understandible why, from a bussiness point of view why they wouldn't want to make any drastic changes. I hope now that EA is in full swing you guys are able to get more resource's to secure a final patch. Only thing I could say that would be great is cross compatiblity between BF2142 and BF2 as far as mod tools etc.... If porting between the two where possible with ease. I'm sure you'd see ALOT more support from the mod community. Aswell as reason to continue BF editor research and development. I mean supporting the mod community is a big thing. Look at what Desert Combat did to BF1942. I bought that game cause of Desert Combat. I've seen people suggest map beta programs etc... Which is people giving FREE WORK to continue popularity BF2. These things don't Just resovle to BF2, they also resovle to BF2142. Generating revinue through boaster packs and expansions is nessary I understand. But if there isn't intent to continue producing that for BF2 atleast. Why not releasing updated version's of things like the maya tools?

But not sure if you've seen post's like this but people have been collecting data on CTD's.... Not sure if it will help or be any use.

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread....4707&page=2

I got a CTD from the pactical system which no one had..... Anyway thanx for the time.

Sign in to follow this