Official BF Editor Forums
coyote39

Importing Static Objects Into 3ds Max 8

Please help... i'm such a noob...

I'm trying to import static objects into 3ds Max to modify them. Can anyone tell me step by step how this is done? I have installed the bf2 plug-ins tools in max, but can't figure out how to import a static object in, so that I can work on it. Thanks in advance for your time.

coyote39

You aren't allowed to change them in any way (i think)

Your right that would be copyright infringement. Now you could not change but "replace a skin". Or not change but "replace a model" and use the same skin or model in place of what you replaced. And I think your in the clear.

I only want to re-skin the model... for instance, taking some of the mideast buildings and taking off the arabic and replacing with english, etc.

If anyone could help me understand how to do this, please let me know how. It would be greatly appreciated.

coyote39

Whoops... forgot to post this in the last reply-

One of the things I would like to do, and please let me know if I'd be copyright infringing:

I'd like to take those goofy-looking solar panels off a building, and then use the building in my mod.

Also, if all this is considered copyright infringment, what ARE we allowed to do with the editor? I have no clue, and would like to not step on anyone's toes in trying to make a simple level or mod. Thanks.

coyote39

Even if you were allowed to do that there are some basic problems as any import script i know does screw your uvmaps (at least for statics). You're better of modelling your own buildings.

As a moder there are very few things that people can say, " That's copyright infringement." This is due to two things, one you are not selling the property to try and make a financial gain and two you are using a free editor that came with a ligitment purchase of the title. However if you DONT GIVE CREDIT you can get in trouble, maybe not legal but people in the community will, both moder and professionals will find out about it and they will BLACK LIST your a**....But as for an answer to your question, sorry this is my first post, so sorry...Hope this helped.

I thought a big part of being able to mod is being able to modify the content of the game you purchased. If I wanted to redo a certain vehicle with different geometry parts like wheels for instance, this would be against the EULA? I would give full credit to the original creator of the model, as well as who added the modifications.

Edited by showNOmercy

I only want to re-skin the model... for instance, taking some of the mideast buildings and taking off the arabic and replacing with english, etc.

If anyone could help me understand how to do this, please let me know how. It would be greatly appreciated.

coyote39

Whoops... forgot to post this in the last reply-

One of the things I would like to do, and please let me know if I'd be copyright infringing:

I'd like to take those goofy-looking solar kits off a building, and then use the building in my mod.

Also, if all this is considered copyright infringment, what ARE we allowed to do with the editor? I have no clue, and would like to not step on anyone's toes in trying to make a simple level or mod. Thanks.

coyote39

hello friend were you able to create such a model..It seems very exciting to me and I would love to work on similar model.. Please share some information..

Edited by JamieBlanche