Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
skyhaven

Parachute To Rocket Pack Mod

For the Sky Haven mod I am wanting to change parachutes so that they act as rocket packs or some kind of personal levitation device. It would be both practical and very cool. B)

So I am just wondering has some one already tried some thing like this?

I’m guessing no one has, if so would anyone like to try it for me? you see I wouldn’t know where to start.

In which case I challenge you to be the first person to come up with a parachute to rocket pack mod and the winner will receive a ... um...ah...smiley!!!!! :D

I have been working on this somewhat. There is a few quirks that need to be addressed. The first is by default the parachute can only be opened in free fall. Yuo can change this by adding a normal weapon component to the launcher, but in doing so you lose the ability to deploy it after you enter the free fall state. I guess you can make 2 launchers, one for in freefall and one for on ground.

If you want to make the parachute deployable from the ground you must make sure every PCO will have a camera. Otherwise the parachute could be deployed from a position, causing a crash. This includes the parachute vehicle. Allot of bf2 objects use different collision hulls for soldiers and vehicles, it will be posible to deploy a parachute in a area that it isnt intended, resulting in players being able to enter walls.

Ive tried adding a plane engine to the soldier it self, but this will result in a crash if you use a ladder. I hope this helps out.

Edited by [BFP]Bunnysnot

I've created a jetpack (to answer the other end of your question :D ) . Its basically 3 invisible helicopter engines (Main rotor, propulsion and tail) . I packed them into a small existing rocket mesh , added some dampers (to enable it to lie around) and wings and used it as a standard air vehicle. Works, but adjusting the engines and wings is hard work.

I have no idea if you could code it to replace the parachute, though.

Bunnysnot' date='Oct 23 2006, 02:32 AM' post='53523']

I have been working on this somewhat...

Thanks I'll keep all that in mind

mschoeldgen[Xww2]

I'd really like to try out your jet pack of yours, if you could send me the file. If that’s ok with you :P

You see in my mod there is likely to be a lot of falling (see Sky Haven Site to learn why), so parachute rocket packs would be ideal.

I assume a parachute rocket pack would work simply by changing the drag value of the parachute to a thrust value > gravity. My question now would be could I control that value. You see once a “rocket pack” is deployed you couldn’t un deploy it until you hit the ground, which you aren’t going to because your going straight up and your not going to stop till you die.

:unsure:

You get what I mean?

You can at least adjust the flying capabilities of the existing parachute by altering wing/flap lift values and the wing rotation by controls.

There are also values like 'drag' and 'gravityMod' you'd like to change probably. The jetpack is not in a condition to be given away. Like i said, its just a bunch of heli engines and i never finished them to be perfectly usable. Was a sunday afternoon experiment in reply to some thread here.... :P

Moved to Object Editor

Edited by mschoeldgen[Xww2]

I made one using forceobjects, worked kinda. Didnt think of the component removal. Shame a weapon cant use the same itemindex if you want to :)

Add a jet engine to the parachute. Mess with the forceobjects a bit. You really should try it for yourself, it's not that dificult with some object editing experience. In fact, I challenge you to do it yourself =p

I did mine similar to mschoeldgen in that it's not a modded chute, it's a standalone PCO but I didn't use any heli stuff, just a jet engine and some forceObjects, and some dampers. I saw someone do it with just a jet engine added to a chute, and one of the guys from FS had a nice flying chair chute replacement.

Here's a lil vid of mine for inspiration or something, not sure why it takes forever to buffer http://media.putfile.com/jetpackWIP-48

GL HF,

-phresh

The only problem of adding a jet engine to the default parachute is that it can only be deployed in free fall. Creating a seperate parachute launcher and setting it up to be fired from the ground cannot be deployed in air. so you'd basicly need 2 versions if you wanted to do both.

Too bad bf2 wont allow you to edit those prachute variabeles, they were pretty nice, afaik you coulkd tweak the "wait-before-deploy" delay aswell. When I tried it ingame it didnt get me far. Didnt go far either, maybe python can handle it :)

Well, you can set parachute-debug to 1, which means it wont ever close again. If you have some aerialmap with rocketpacks that could mean fun

Edited by Harry

on the subject of Python...

Because I dont know how to do any python coding stuff yet. Im wondering what could I do with this jet pack idea, using python, that I wouldnt be able to do just playing around with stuff in the object editor?

or am I asking the wrong question? :unsure: