Official BF Editor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Griffon2-6

Finding An Object's Texture Path

Ok, so I know nothing about modelling objects, but my friend made an object for me for a map, and set a path for it specific for his computer (i.e. C:\games\bf2\mods\plcr_1\objects\staticobjects\civict\textures). Now he can't seem to change it. When I try to add it in to my map, it has the Uncle Sam texture, and in the console, it says it can't find the texture in the said directory. Obviously it can't, because there is no such directory on my computer. I have asked him to change the directory to just objects\staticobjects\civict\textures\, and he can't, as he has resubmitted this to me multiple times, all with no result.

I would really appreciate it if someone can help us with this, just tell us how to set a path for a standard object so that it will work in any mod.

Thanks

the path is contained in the object's mesh itself. if you use rexman's materials tool (part of the 3ds max tools) you can use it to change the path from absolute (C:\blahblah\yadda\yadda) to relative (objects\vehicles\etc.\etc.)

Err... Ok, how do you use it? When I doubleclick on it, it just has a brief cmd window pop up and then disappear. I tried dragging the staticmesh onto it too.

lets assume you copied xxx.staticmesh and the bf2materials.exe to your c:\ drive

with a cmd window open at c:\ you would first type:

bf2materials.exe -getmaterial xxx.staticmesh c:\xxx.txt

then open xxx.txt and do a search/replace, changing all the bad paths

to the correct relative ones. save the file. then type:

bf2materials.exe -applymaterial xxx.staticmesh c:\xxx.txt

if done correctly you have repaired the paths of the mesh. this

little tool is excellent and has been very useful to me many times.

thanks again to rexman for building and sharing it.

I can't believe not everyone is using Harry's GUI for the bf2materials.exe.

It's makes it so painless! I believe it was posted in the WIP showcase thread. Get it, use it, love it.